The US Electoral System: a discussion

If anyone were to leave the Union California would probably first in line. All leaning towards the far right would cheer and encourage them to do so. Then, reality hits after losing the 5th highest economy in the world.
While California is a huge contributor to the US, economically and culturally, I don't know they could remain the 5th biggest world economy if they were independent. They would eventually have smaller markets for their IT, aerospace, etc. industries, as those were duplicated in the US. I don't know if they'd maintain their agricultural market. Mexico may take a lot of that, and then there are the water issues.
And how much of California would secede is a question. A lot of the state may want to take a different path than SoCal and the Bay area.
But yes the rest of the US would certainly miss them if they left.

You have a point but California spends all of it's money on welfare programs anyway. Probably not a huge loss after all the math is done.

Maybe so but hiw many that they are spending money in are non residents and would have to leave if Independence was declared? The homeless alone would shrink dramatically.

Do you think secession would be to Texas' benefit? Could Texas maintain independence? Would the US miss it?

I think it would be to Texas' benefit, but as far as maintaining it, it would a wait and see approach overall. I think Texas could maintain independence, but there are lots of details that would need to be worked out first. Dealing with education, the Gulf of Mexico, military(Army, Air Force, and Navy have bases with Air Force having a recruit training base) would be just some of the things that would need to be sorted.

Would the US miss Texas, I think most would say no, but I think the US needs Texas more than they think. Now do I think all this will happen, I am going to say no. I do believe states need to have more rights as someone l in New York doesn't really know what is going on in Texas just like I don't know what the people in New York are dealing with.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterRodney
Back
Top Bottom