The China Demand

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
http://www.thejakartapost.com/youth...pricey-international-schools-insatiable-.html

The International School Consultancy, which monitors school trends worldwide, says the demand among Chinese for English-language schools like Haileybury is "insatiable." More than 150,000 Chinese students are currently enrolled in international schools, according to the consultancy, which says the number of Chinese who can afford to pay seemingly stratospheric fees for those schools — even if it's just a small percentage of the country's population — will continue to grow, absent a dramatic downturn in China's economy.

Last edited:
Similar situation as seen here, but the government and DIKNAS have been trying to limit that.

My son goes to a school that has mostly Chinese students, such that Mandarin is a compulsory subject.

English is mandatory as well.

My son has been at this school from Kindergarten till now, 10th grade. I have known some of his classmates all these years and after 10 years of English, not one of these kids can carry on a semi decent conversation in English.

So...train them up to the max, let ESL schools rake in the bucks. That is what it is all about for the most part.

Yep, most speak some weird form of Singlish. Total immersion is the way to go of course, but not realistic.

It's not just Indonesia. When my oldest daughter was going to Costa Rica to live 15 years ago, I had the choice of British School or a twice as expensive US style school, Country Day School.

The British school was 1/2 km from the house, and half as cheap. I talked to 4th and 5th graders there, and none could even carry on a simple conversation in english. That rather decided the school option.

You know what's weird though? On islands like Puerto Rico and Curaçao, you can see it is possible. And what about the Philippines? The level of English proficiency is rather high. The same for many of the elderly ooms and tantes here in RI; their Dutch is amazing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back