Term extension

Helpful Herbert

Does anyone understand this issue about delaying the presidential elections or giving the current president another term?

I mean that is the first step to becoming like Russia or China, why would people want to go down that path? The current president may be relatively good but that will not always be the case.

I can think of a certain former losing presidential candidate, who if he was elected it might prove very difficult to ever get him out of office if term limits became flexible.

Does anyone understand this issue about delaying the presidential elections or giving the current president another term?

I mean that is the first step to becoming like Russia or China, why would people want to go down that path? The current president may be relatively good but that will not always be the case.

I can think of a certain former losing presidential candidate, who if he was elected it might prove very difficult to ever get him out of office if term limits became flexible.
That's the problem with the whole idea. The people in a vast majority are saying no. Jokowi came out and said it won't happen but wouldn't condem it. He said before that he would abide by the constitution but failed to mention that there were forces trying to change the constitution.

Students are planning to protest it now too. It will not bold well for Indonesia if they extend it. It will be compared to the Sukarno and Suharto regimes that didn't end well at all.

I can see why it might be argued as a good idea, to keep stability in times of crisis. IF it was the opposition parties suggesting it or in full agreement with it... not very democratic though.
I can see much more why it is a naff idea as it opens the doors to chopping and changing rules in the future. Not a great precedent to set.

Indonesia is pretty peaceful and crisis-free at the moment. But doing this is a good way to push it back into crisis mode again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats