Temporary Stay Visa For Joining Family

mrmagoo

Hi. I'm legally married to an Indonesian citizen who resides in Indonesia but I currently reside in UK until work commitments are completed. So I've been visiting Indonesia regularly to visit my wife just on a tourist visa. I'm planning a visit soon for a longer period this time (approx 3 months) and was advised to apply for the above 2 year visa. Until my work commitments are finished in the UK, I intend to return to Indonesia every 3 or 4 months. Does the above Visa allow multiple re-entry to Indonesia? If it doesn't, is it worth getting this visa or is there a solution so that I can re-enter Indonesia easily for the next 18 months, at which point I will then settle in Indonesia. Thanks.

You need to get a one- year spouse Kitas, which can then be renewed for a year. Once you move permanently to Indonesia you can get the 5-year permit (kitap). You might even be able to get the kitap earlier depending on how long you have been married for.

You need to get a one- year spouse Kitas, which can then be renewed for a year. Once you move permanently to Indonesia you can get the 5-year permit (kitap). You might even be able to get the kitap earlier depending on how long you have been married for.
Thanks for the reply. Can I apply for the one year spouse Kitas online, on the same website I was applying for the Temporary stay visa?

Need to do it in person and be sure to have 30 copies of everything. If possible, try to get an updated list of things you need so you can take it with you.

Need to do it in person and be sure to have 30 copies of everything. If possible, try to get an updated list of things you need so you can take it with you.
Thanks. So there’s no point in getting a Temporary Stay visit yet. Until I settle in Indonesia, does it make more sense just to get a 60 day EVOA and if I want to stay longer, just visit Singapore and then get another 30 day VOA?

The sponsor/wife needs to do the application, not the foreign spouse.
Thanks. So there’s no point in getting a Temporary Stay visit yet. Until I settle in Indonesia, does it make more sense just to get a 60 day EVOA and if I want to stay longer, just visit Singapore and then get another 30 day VOA?
If I was you I would go for KITAS.
It sounds like you are not too familiar yet with the documents etc. It's a good occasion to check the requirements and find out whether your documents are complete or not. Better now (and complete them relaxed while having Plan B: visit visa) then later when you really need/want a KITAS.
Also not that difficult or expensive considering the alternative are multiple visa, maybe even visa runs.

The sponsor/wife needs to do the application, not the foreign spouse.

If I was you I would go for KITAS.
It sounds like you are not too familiar yet with the documents etc. It's a good occasion to check the requirements and find out whether your documents are complete or not. Better now (and complete them relaxed while having Plan B: visit visa) then later when you really need/want a KITAS.
Also not that difficult or expensive considering the alternative are multiple visa, maybe even visa runs.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. You are correct, I'm not sure of the documents or different type of visas etc. My wife contacted immigration dept and explained that I need a visa that will let me stay longer than 30 days in Indonesia but that will also let me leave and re-enter Indonesia on the same visa.

So immigration told her to apply online for the Temporary Stay Family Visa for 2 years which can then be used to apply for a permanent stay visa after 2 years. So can somebody confirm that if I'm issued a Temporary Stay Visa, I cannot then leave Indonesia and re-enter again within that 2 year period and that I'd need to get another visa? If this is the case, then perhaps immigration didn't understand my requirements.

What is the difference between this Temporary Stay Family visa and a KITAS?

I'm assuming a KITAS takes a while to obtain and I'm travelling to Indonesia in a few weeks, so I think that will have to wait for another time.

For a Kitas you get a MERP with it, a multi entry reentry permit, so you can go in and out of the country whenever you like.

You should check you have the original wedding certificate, Indonesian translation, that you registered the marriage with the Indonesian embassy where you live, also depending on what religion you both are you need to register the marriage with either the civil authority or the Islamic authority within 30 days of entering Indonesia.

For a Kitas you get a MERP with it, a multi entry reentry permit, so you can go in and out of the country whenever you like.

You should check you have the original wedding certificate, Indonesian translation, that you registered the marriage with the Indonesian embassy where you live, also depending on what religion you both are you need to register the marriage with either the civil authority or the Islamic authority within 30 days of entering Indonesia.
Hi. We are both Muslim and have the marriage book which was registered with the local civil authority.

I think you mean registered with the KUA. The civil authority (catatan sipil) is for non-muslim marriages. Unless you had a non-muslim marriage?

I think you mean registered with the KUA. The civil authority (catatan sipil) is for non-muslim marriages. Unless you had a non-muslim marriage?
You are correct. It was the KUA. So does the marriage need to be registered elsewhere as well?

No, I think that's all. So you probably have all the documents you need to get the KITAS.

The other thing to check is the official address of your wife. All documents must be lined up with that address. She must be registered there, you must be registered there, you should each have a Kartu Keluarga showing that address (or a combined one), it must be in the same district as the immigration office you are applying to. It must of course show her correct marital status too. [in some cases people haven't updated these documents after getting married, and that has to be done before getting a kitas]

Thanks for the info. I know she’s still got to update her documents to reflect her marriage status. Something else than that needs to be done. I remember the fun and games we had with documentation just arranging the wedding, so getting the KITAS should be great fun…not. I think this time I’ll travel on the E-VOA and we can worry about everything else when my work contract ends and I’m ready to settle permanently.

We also have a 'buku nikah'. Our marriage was held at a mosque and the officer from kantor KUA (Office of Religious Affairs) came to us. Later KUA issued this buku nikah. But, as I understand we also registered our marriage at the civil authority / registry (kantor cipil) to get a 'marriage certificate'. This certificate one can bring abroad to register one's marriage e.g. the country of the WNA-spouse. Our buku nikah have copies of our marriage certificate inside. So, I think all (legal) marriages are registered in the systems of the 'catan sipil'. Nowadays, they also can issue an e-certificate.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819