Telkomsel Internet Packets (National Flash Quota).

atoopi

Hey, I am going to be traveling all over the country, so I'd like to get both a voice SIM and a data SIM from Telkomsel (SimPATI Prepaid) at Grapari store for 50,000 IDR? Is that right?

* I will purchase both SIMS in Banda Aceh (my arrival point). Of course, I will not spend a lot of time in Banda Aceh, so I will need lots of national flash quota.

* For the Voice Sim, I have an old 3G Nokia brickphone (to be used in emergencies) and a laptop (main device). No smartphone.

* For the Data Sim, I have an unlocked, 3G Huawei Mobile Wifi (see link): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2032559356.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.1a9a3c00gnarSl&mp=1

* Since Internet Lokal (or local quota in general) is mostly useless for a traveler, I will need to activate the Telkomsel internet packets (flash national quota) in order to use the national internet packages as flash quota can be freely used throughout the country.

* For the Data Sim (which is more important to me): From what I can gather, the bet value packet is the 35 GB for 153,000 IDR for 30 days (flash national data), but I am not sure if it's offered in Banda Aceh? I checked their English site, and loaded the Banda Aceh page, and it the largest internet packet I found was for 54GB for 159,000R for 30 days, but only 5GB of regular Internet and 2GB of OMG Internet, and the rest is Internet Lokal, so that doesn't sound like what I want. Since I'm looking for the largest amount of national data (in GB) over 30 days. But, 35 GB for 153,000 IDR for 30 days sounds really good, as it comes out to just over 4000R/GB. As long as it can be used anywhere as national flash quota, that sounds like the way to go. Can anyone confirm that?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The problem is that SimPATI promo is not the same as SimPATI promo. We have three of their prepaid SIM cards and get different offers in the My Telkomsel App. And that is in the same area! On Bali or so you’d get something different again.

Very often the *364# menu offers other promotions (which are often better).

Anyway, this is the ‘best’ on data which I could buy now:

11B62421-737F-4384-862E-F95422EA5191.png

Telkomsel also offers MiFi routers including packages btw. Very competitive.

So you’d have to visit the store and see what they offer.

snpark

Cager
*363#
Turn off the data and rely on wifi to make it last and don't use fb ig etc from your phone

atoopi

Thank you it seems like what I find on their English website is not the best to find. I will just get the best deal at the store with their clerk assisting me. And are their MIFI routes cheaper than $30? Because there is sale on Aliexpress for a 3G Unlocked HuaWei Mifi right now. I thought to buy it and bring it with me. I probably don't need 4G since they mostly only work in cities anyways, right? And of course, I will use WIFI first, and the MIFI as a backup, and I don't have facebook or a smartphone. It's all laptop. That deal by the way is exactly what I am looking for 37GB for 171,000R. Excellent!

jstar

Mr. 10,000
4G is very common here. And Telkomsel has the best coverage outside of the big cities.

FA-IMAGE-THUMBNAIL-MIFI-MOBILE-480X270PX_1.jpg

Something to consider: In Europe the SIM card provider did not properly support my HUAWEI MiFi router. It only supported 3G and after some time they threatened the device was not in their approved hardware list and service would be disabled. (I received SMS-es via the Huawei App on the iPad.)

So I’d take a router from Telkomsel when the prices are similar anyway, to avoid those issues. Then also a MiFi prepaid package makes sense, you never know what the small print says.

Last edited:

dafluff

Cager
You should get the mytelkomsel app and explore the data offerings. Be sure to check what actual data is provided, since telkom uses deceptive advertising.

For example it would say 35 gb, but then you see that 20gb is only usable on their streaming service, which for most people is is useless.

Also, as you have discovered some of it is local internet...

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
I'm always curious about those HOOQ, Maxstream and other things that are bundled with my data but I never know how to use 'em...(probably it's something ridiculously simple too..).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja
Top Bottom