Suggestions for building a house

Sorry, I know this is not the topic but it is related to building houses.
Do you know if Indonesia allows to built up a house next each other walls? I mean, our neighbour built up a house just putting her wall next to our wall.
Before, we had a window at the kitchen with coconuts view and banana trees (with trash view include as well, nothing is perfect, was the place they used to trough their trash but still we had light and the coconuts trees!) and when they built up the house block totally the window and now we have a batako window!
When some of my friends from Europe saw it, told me that for example in Europe is not allow to built wall next to wall (different owners and land), it must be a few centimeters between limits of the land.
I am just curious about this in Indonesia.
Sorry for my terrible English, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

In many (European) countries there is a minimum distance of 3 meter between freestanding houses and neighboring parcel. (Just like there are rules for distance of trees etc.) You need the approval of neighbors to have that changed.

Over here that's not so well defined. They don't need input from the neighbors to get the house design approved. If you don't agree with the way your neighbors are building, you're probably already too late and then you should challenge the permit, but often that is fighting a losing battle if they have good contacts. There should be an IMB, which is indicated by a yellow poster/spanduk on the property at time of construction; it is the permit to build. If there is non, you could file a complaint against the whole construction. But even then...

What is not allowed btw, is that they use your wall; they need to build a new wall next to it. But if the kavlings are part of a project, the walls could be shared.

I would never ever put the wall of the house exactly on the border of the land anymore btw. People do that to have their house as big as possible and avoid a mess on the land. That is a formula for disaster though; you will get contact noise from the neighbors (nice if their wet kitchen is next to your bedroom), you can't do repairs and even worse, over time you will definitely get infiltration of water from their leaking roofs, cracks in the walls, etc. So a tip would be to take the loss and stay a meter away from the fence.

Love the topic, love all the comments. Been in Indonesia on and off for the last 30 years and I so recognize all the experiences. Our family (where my wife is Indonesian) have been living in a number of places, and until now always rented. The quality of houses being constructed is shocking, just about everything they do is wrong, walls are paper-thin and everything is quickly covered with a layer of plaster and paint. All the materials they use is either local or foreign (Chinese) made rubbish. No warranty or for a few months, ending before everything starts to crumble. The sale price for all this newly built rubbish is absurd, but you know what? No potential buyer cares and most is being sold in no time! We've looked at all kinds of options (still looking) to have something build in future (e.g. container, prefab, wood, hemp, earth, etc.) but I believe that the problem with all is local expertise of construction companies. They don't care to properly educate and train their local workers; a) it's expensive b) they are likely to jump ship after the training and start on their own 3) why train as everyone is buying their usual rubbish regardless. Imported prefab might be the best option, than (if you're handy enough) put it together yourself as for sure the locals will find ways of destroying it during assembly :p. I'm a fan of Nova Deko, which I've followed for a while, not sure if possible to have it shipped, cost of transport, import duties, local transport etc, but will look into it. Very unlikely to ever purchase local lol

Do you know if Indonesia allows to built up a house next each other walls? I mean, our neighbour built up a house just putting her wall next to our wall.

Lesson learned :sneaky:, allowed, not allowed? All the same, even if not allowed by law it will be allowed if you know someone who knows someone :ROFLMAO:.

Tukang Bangunan, " Pipa hiyeee.. And hiyee.. And Hiyee Pipa.. No Good.. And Plukk And Hiyee.. Water Plukk.. Plukk.. Water Full Hiyee.. E'ek Hiyee.." .
Pemilik Rumah, "E'eekk...?" .
Tukang Bangunan, " Yess..!!!" .
Pemilik Rumah, "So E'eekk in The Plukk Plukk...?" .
Tukang Bangunan, " E'ekk Hiyee.. Plukk Hiyee.. Water Hiyee Full.. And Go Water to Prrrrr Hiyee.. And Hiyee No.. And Hiyee I Plukk.. And Water Hiyee.. Plukk.. Yess..!"

Great example of a pidgin language....

Love the video, tx for sharing 😂

Love the topic, love all the comments. Been in Indonesia on and off for the last 30 years and I so recognize all the experiences. Our family (where my wife is Indonesian) have been living in a number of places, and until now always rented. The quality of houses being constructed is shocking, just about everything they do is wrong, walls are paper-thin and everything is quickly covered with a layer of plaster and paint. All the materials they use is either local or foreign (Chinese) made rubbish. No warranty or for a few months, ending before everything starts to crumble. The sale price for all this newly built rubbish is absurd, but you know what? No potential buyer cares and most is being sold in no time! We've looked at all kinds of options (still looking) to have something build in future (e.g. container, prefab, wood, hemp, earth, etc.) but I believe that the problem with all is local expertise of construction companies. They don't care to properly educate and train their local workers; a) it's expensive b) they are likely to jump ship after the training and start on their own 3) why train as everyone is buying their usual rubbish regardless. Imported prefab might be the best option, than (if you're handy enough) put it together yourself as for sure the locals will find ways of destroying it during assembly :p. I'm a fan of Nova Deko, which I've followed for a while, not sure if possible to have it shipped, cost of transport, import duties, local transport etc, but will look into it. Very unlikely to ever purchase local lol

If you want to build here: I think the question is what to expect. After discussing with people and reading about this topic for a while now, I minimized my expectations. My wife and I plan to stay in this beautiful country and I would like to be independent from landlords and rent increases. Also I like the idea of living in an own house. Therefore, we are still looking for the best option...or let´s put it like this: We are looking for the option which causes the less trouble. To me, concrete buildings seem to be the worst idea. Have seen so many houses with cracks around here. Seems to be too much risk in this earthquake endangered region. Also I would not feel so cozy if there are cracks after a few years (due to inappropriate mixture of concrete or whatsoever).

To us, a container home appears to be the best solution so far. Container homes are also often used in other earthquake endangered regions. Regarding walls and roof I believe (and hope) there is less risk regarding cracks and stability problems.

Of course, I do not expect western standard. As I said, I reduced my expectations. Probably, there will be issues. But hopefully, the issues occur more in the details of the house. I hope that, by using this method of construction, it is likely to at least get a stable home (stable walls, stable roof) that lasts some decades.

Worst case would be to invest a five digit dollar amount into a home that you cannot (or do not want to) use after 10-20 years.

By the way about bad builders I would like to add - in general if to talk about all builders, window makers, tilers, finishers, even wallpaper gluers, I always had to finish everything with my own hands.

By the way about bad builders I would like to add - in general if to talk about all builders, window makers, tilers, finishers, even wallpaper gluers, I always had to finish everything with my own hands.
Fortunately, my hands never get dirty with those works. Wife is always able to handle the workers / contractor to deliver as agreed.

Concrete houses cracking? Has anyone paid attention to the foundations? Concrete is heavy, foundations are shallow and poorly constructed of a bit of concrete over some larger rocks. There will be settling.

Concrete houses cracking? Has anyone paid attention to the foundations? Concrete is heavy, foundations are shallow and poorly constructed of a bit of concrete over some larger rocks. There will be settling.
I have been watching a lot of YouTube with Matt Risinger, a Texas builder that covers a lot of new building tech and proper building techniques. None of that is implemented here.

Indonesia is made up of a lot if different bases beneith buildings. From sand to rock and everything in between. An engineer would need to evaluate just what is being built on. That being way out of the question I would want a house built on a better foundation that what is normally here. Deeper and wider. I would also insist on a lot more rebar than what you see here. All I ever see is corners and fraiming. Type of cement is also important but I would have to guess the vast majority of houses use whatever is the cheapest. Waterproofing the foundation is another thing you do not see here. Digging the foundation area wider so waterproofing can be done is, well, more labor and, well, forget that.

Anyone Westerner building a house needs to keep in mind just what they need for plumbing and electrical. The Indonesian concept if number of outlets fir electrical just doesn't fit the Western needs. Same for plumbing. For electrical, make sure you are wired for the amount of electricity you need and make sure you have a service that can handle your needs. No matter what you come up with, add 10 to 20% more to it. If you plan on doing anything in a yard, make sure you have a water and electrical supply. Yeah, I know, this all adds to the cost. It will also add to hiw long you want the house to last, the resale value, and less frustrations for you when someone in your house starts in on why you didn't put this in or why is that over there and not here.

Indonesia is made up of a lot if different bases beneith buildings. From sand to rock and everything in between. An engineer would need to evaluate just what is being built on. That being way out of the question I would want a house built on a better foundation that what is normally here. Deeper and wider. I would also insist on a lot more rebar than what you see here. All I ever see is corners and fraiming. Type of cement is also important but I would have to guess the vast majority of houses use whatever is the cheapest. Waterproofing the foundation is another thing you do not see here. Digging the foundation area wider so waterproofing can be done is, well, more labor and, well, forget that.

Anyone Westerner building a house needs to keep in mind just what they need for plumbing and electrical. The Indonesian concept if number of outlets fir electrical just doesn't fit the Western needs. Same for plumbing. For electrical, make sure you are wired for the amount of electricity you need and make sure you have a service that can handle your needs. No matter what you come up with, add 10 to 20% more to it. If you plan on doing anything in a yard, make sure you have a water and electrical supply. Yeah, I know, this all adds to the cost. It will also add to hiw long you want the house to last, the resale value, and less frustrations for you when someone in your house starts in on why you didn't put this in or why is that over there and not here.
I sense a business opportunity here.

I sense a business opportunity here.
Just like anywhere else, architects in Indonesia have a university degree and can very well estimate the number of power sockets needed in a certain room.
The national building standards (taught at universities) here are based on international standards so don't worry about that.
The difference between building here and in the west is not the absense of standards but the lack of government enforcement to build according to (safety) standards. The choice is yours to adhere by them or to save some money and do it differently.

Personally I would recommend using an architect. Yes they cost money. But on the other hand their help will very likely pay off. With the right drawings everything is built faster and correctly without the need of adaptations or changes afterwards (bongkar²). They can give you tips and design ideas and they can help you choose the right materials and make the calculations beforehand.

I've never met a builder I could praise. There`re some types of work no one can make better than you. So you are rightly advised to control them. But it was easier for me in that sense cause I had an apartment, not a three-story mansion like yoursXD And also about all the legal formalities, if it helps anyone here, I went to Avtal för entreprenadföretag? I had some difficulties with the contracts, but they did a great job.

I had to explain the builders (but also my extended family here) the concept of talang. Nobody had any idea. Let it run I guess. Finally I found them in a shop in Rawasari.
Yep , I had to show the builder and all the labourers how to hang guttering/talang and explain why one end had to be slightly lower and have a down pipe fitted ! Also wanted to paint the rendered walls 2-3 days after rendering . No sealer/undercoat . They've also got a habit of mixing calcium in the cement render " they say it makes the render harder " which reacts and bubbles up/expands with any moisture and causes paint bubble /peal which you see in most houses . No damp proofing , no sarking under tiles or roofing . Etc etc etc .

So what is the solution. Grin and bear it? Pay more and get builders with a decent track record? Wait and hope that better builders will come along? If "mass-produced buildings" are stuffed up, what chance does a person have getting a one-off architect-designed house built well? (I am particularly interested in water run-off from roofs and drainage after that. About 1 in 20 houses that I observe seem to use what I term external "spouting/guttering". Perhaps it is better to just let the rain run off willy-nilly?)
Stupid is, stupid does... They don't know and don't want to know.

Stupid is, stupid does... They don't know and don't want to know.
I think the only solution is to strictly supervise the building of a foundation using a contractor, geotechnical engineer, and proper materials, then buy a prefab from the EU and put it on the foundation. This reduces the # of people involved locally.

Taxation is my biggest concern. That shit is unpredictable from my experience.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs