Suggestions for building a house

I think the only solution is to strictly supervise the building of a foundation using a contractor, geotechnical engineer, and proper materials, then buy a prefab from the EU and put it on the foundation. This reduces the # of people involved locally.

Taxation is my biggest concern. That shit is unpredictable from my experience.
Don't assume they know how to build a foundation here for a western prefab home! Importing something like that as a one time non-business entity is just asking for trouble. My advise is just to settle for a small modest house that you can be happy with local standard practices. The critical things to ensure is the PLUMBING is done correctly. If there are problems with plumbing then you won't want to live there because the house will either smell like a sewer or be leaking through the wall and make your life unbareable.

If you live in the Jakarta / Bogor area I can recommend a builder and architect that are honest and responsive to fix problems.

Plumbing and electrical. I recommend (and will probably do so myself) to NOT bury the cables and pipes in the brickwork. Have it exposed and tight to the brickwork and then cover it with studs and drywall. If possible, even add insulation in the studs. That'll help with heat input from the outside (especially sun exposed walls) and keep the house cooler. Also good to keep the attic insulated to avoid radiant heat coming in from the roof to the living space.

I plan on possibly having the electrical in nice copper or iron conduits exposed to the living area as an industrial aesthetic detail.

Select good windows (insulate yourself from noise and thermal losses). make sure the window sills are well insulated otherwise you'll lose the AC's cool air through there and have the heat come in from the outside.

My simple basically rectangular house plan is to not build against boundary walls & have the shower, basin, kitchen sink & laundry tub on perimeter house walls so that the pipes can go straight thru the walls to be exposed on the outside, the only pipe I envisage having to be in the slab would be from the floor drain in the bathroom, not even the toilet which would use a P trap straight thru the wall instead of an S trap down into the slap. Then just need to make sure the lead in water pipe, stormwater & pipes to the septic are deep enough so as not to get damaged when the lawn is mown.

I don’t see electrical cables in single skin walls as a problem as long as they are in conduit which isn’t damaged & / or full of cement but I like the idea of exposed metal conduits as an industrial aesthetic detail.

An alternative would be to build on piers so anything under the floor is accessible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back