Studying at Universirt in Indonesia

Terry MacArsey

I'm hoping someone might teach in a University in Indonesia who might be able to give me some information.

My step-daughter has just started a course in Pharmacology at Gorontalo University but is struggling to cope with the demands.

She is currently ill due to not having enough to eat and not having enough sleep and would have been put on a drip yesterday but she was afraid so refused the drip.

She tells me that she fainted at University last week because she was so tired.

She has to be at University by 7am every day including Sundays and doesn't get home until evening and then has to complete homework which has to be handed in the next day which can involve reading from up to 5 books.

She tells me that sometimes she is getting no more than an hours sleep because of the amount of work she is being given.

She started in August and tells me that a semester is 6 months without any breaks. Surely that can't be correct is it ?

I think she is pretty bright and is also very diligent. When she was in SMA she always organised her own homework without me ever having to coerce her or give her advice on when and how to do it but completely understand why she is struggling after talking to her.

Is the amount of work she is being given usual or are they trying to sort out the students that will drop out when the going gets tough ?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me

It's tough for some kids, so I sympathise, my daughter went to Trisakti Uni from here in Pondok Cabe, initially by bus, after being molested we let her use our car, even then she would at times not get back home till 9 or 10 in the evening, then there was the extra work, sometimes till early morning, but she persevered, and got her degree in law, it's was hard graft for her, so I'm quite proud of her, so it is tough Terry, but give your daughter all the support you can and she will win through.

I'd try to meet with the school and see what you can do with the schedule. 7 days a week seems so brutal, and if she's passing out already that's a bad sign.

Just over a week before I go to Indo but I'm pleased to say that I've spoken to my step-daughter and she seems to be finding things easier now.

I think there are two main reasons for this. The first reason is that I think she is getting used to the amount of work she is being given.

The 2nd reason is that she is now doing most of the work by herself instead of working as part of a group.

She tells me that the groups tend to chat a lot but take ages to get anything done.

So she seems to be a lot happier and is now getting time to sleep and eat

I do not teach nor am I directly familiar with that University.

There is no "wash out" attempt in Indonesian public universities. The only part I have heard about on that is the hazing that goes on during the "orientation." Part of the end of August is devoted to this.

I don't think that semesters are 6 months, no break. They are usually 5.5 months with little holidays.

The schedule and difficulties seem more extreme than most that I have heard.

I am glad she is managing better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back