Stem cell therapy?

harryopal

Charter Member
In my late teens I injured my left knee playing football. It was painful but after a few weeks seemed okay.
The last year or so the left knee has been troublesome and recently enough to consider treatments. I am not at all inclined towards surgical, knee joint replacements but am considering stem cell therapy. I see there is a Malaysian treatment centre. Has anyone had treatment there or have any anecdotal information about these treatments?
Thanks in anticipation of reponse.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
My mother-in-law is considering this, but if I see how many different (professional) opinions are out there I have no idea if it would work or not, Harry. It seems everybody has proof why it would(n’t) work.

harryopal

Charter Member
I have been opening reviews and a variety of sites. A friend in Melbourne had spent a lot of time researching when he was contemplating stem cell treatments for something rather more complicated than a troublesome knee. Thus far there seems plenty of evidence that there are a lot of charlatans and unproven claims. Also different approaches ranging from foetal stem cells therapies, in China, cells drawn from your own spine or bone marrow to mesenchymal stem cells derived solely from umbilical cord tissue. Cord tissue is collected after a baby is born and after the umbilical cord is cut. This guarantees that both mother and baby are safe. This latter method seems to be more likely.

My former shop landlord and neighbour had his wife undergo knee surgery. She was in agony for a year and had it done a second time and it took another year to settle down to a less painful level and a disappointing outcome. Doesn't appeal to me.

I have also begun researching costs from the USA, Thailand and Malaysia. Overall the process looks a bit like diving off a high tower into a pool where you aren't certain there is water. I won't be rushing to the high tower and will wait for a bit to see if the present discomfort settles..

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yeah knee surgery is also one of these things that seem to generate unique experiences (as operation of a back hernia for instance). Some got disappointing results while others are over the moon.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww46
Top Bottom