STEAM purchases

Hey all, hoping another gamer on here can help me out with best way to purchase games on STEAM. Don't want to open a local VISA/Mastercard account, already have a BRIMO account so was looking at DANA/Smartpay or eClub. Any recommendations of one over the other?

Hi Bintangwarrior. You can buy Steam credits on the Indonesian e-commerce site Tokopedia as an option.

Hi Bintangwarrior. You can buy Steam credits on the Indonesian e-commerce site Tokopedia as an option.
Hey Tom,

I've got onto Tokopedia & looking at getting a wallet, however I noticed on Steam it is wanting to convert to AUD as that is where my account originated. It won't allow me to change country without a purchase using one of the 4 options, Mastercard, Visa, Dana, e-club. Do you know of a workaround?

Hey Tom,

I've got onto Tokopedia & looking at getting a wallet, however I noticed on Steam it is wanting to convert to AUD as that is where my account originated. It won't allow me to change country without a purchase using one of the 4 options, Mastercard, Visa, Dana, e-club. Do you know of a workaround?

You can contact their customer service and ask to change your country of residency. They will ask for some proof, I sent my driver's license and it was accepted. Bonus: games in IDR are usually cheaper than USD/AUD due to regional pricing.

You can contact their customer service and ask to change your country of residency. They will ask for some proof, I sent my driver's license and it was accepted. Bonus: games in IDR are usually cheaper than USD/AUD due to regional pricing.
Yea that's why I'm trying to change it, they are basically half price compared to AUD. I've contacted them twice only to have them tell me I need to change it by making a purchase using new payment method which reflects my new home address. Like everything in this country, it doesn't need to be this hard.

Just got reply from Steam "customer support".............They will not change my country of residence, not sure how you were able to because they are refusing to do it for me.

Hey Tom,

Basically Steam requires you to use a payment method based in your country of residency in their system. Games are a little cheaper if your Steam store residency is set to Indonesia but that means you need an Indonesian payment method such as a Indonesian bank debit card or a Steam IDR voucher which you can buy on Tokopedia but of course you need and Indonesian payment method to buy on Tokopedia. Some physical gaming stores in Indonesia may sell Steam vouchers but you are paying a commission to them. If possible just keep your Steam store residency set to your home country and use your credit card from there. Changing Steam residence location is limited to 1 time a year to my knowledge.

Basically Steam requires you to use a payment method based in your country of residency in their system. Games are a little cheaper if your Steam store residency is set to Indonesia but that means you need an Indonesian payment method such as a Indonesian bank debit card or a Steam IDR voucher which you can buy on Tokopedia but of course you need and Indonesian payment method to buy on Tokopedia. Some physical gaming stores in Indonesia may sell Steam vouchers but you are paying a commission to them. If possible just keep your Steam store residency set to your home country and use your credit card from there. Changing Steam residence location is limited to 1 time a year to my knowledge.
I know all that & the price difference is more than a little cheaper…..it’s half the price. This is supposedly now my home country so why would I leave it set to Australia & pay twice what I could be paying? My original question was regarding the payment methods I mentioned in my OP. This just smacks of another case of ‘your Bule, this will never be your home’ regardless of spouse & children. Thanks but unless you actually have anything to help with actual question better just stay out of it.

So if this is your home country use your home country banking system and credit facilities. Get an Indonesian debit and credit card. It's not difficult. 10minutes in any BCA branch. Passport and kitas copy etc you can even w/a them your NPWP etc if you don't have originals with you.
Simple

How about using gopay on tokopedia? To get gopay you can just ask someone else to transfer to you. I think to get above 2 million IDR in gopay ou need to be verified but to be honest you can also just use anyone's id for this as the verification system is not good.

That wont fix your steam issue though and you will probably need to setup a new steam account

So if this is your home country use your home country banking system and credit facilities. Get an Indonesian debit and credit card. It's not difficult.
This is the answer. If you are going to live in Indonesia you will need a local account for a lot things in day to day life.

This is the answer. If you are going to live in Indonesia you will need a
Hey all, hoping another gamer on here can help me out with best way to purchase games on STEAM. Don't want to open a local VISA/Mastercard account, already have a BRIMO account so was looking at DANA/Smartpay or eClub. Any recommendations of one over the other?
As stated in my OP I do have an Indonesian BRI account. I use it everyday including Tokopedia purchases. A steam voucher/wallet will not do any good as it will convert to AUD & I’ll probably lose out if anything on a purchase.

So if this is your home country use your home country banking system and credit facilities. Get an Indonesian debit and credit card. It's not difficult. 10minutes in any BCA branch. Passport and kitas copy etc you can even w/a them your NPWP etc if you don't have originals with you.
Simple
My OP was pretty simple too. DANA or eClub points…..asked for people with experience using these payment options. I already stated I don’t want Debit/Credit card. I have a BRI account not interested in anything else.

Lots of replies not pertaining to original question, obviously haven’t read or comprehended the actual question. I do have a local bank account. I asked about experience with DANA or eClub points purchases, specifically in Steam. Thanks for all the superfluous advice.
People are trying to offer you advice to help with your situation. However, you don't want the hear that advice and play the "bule" card on something as simple as saving a few bucks on Steam. Being a citizen of a county other than your home county isn't always easy and isn't always straight forward but it is what it is. You were given a couple of solutions but you don't like what you are hearing so instead of thank you, you choose to be snide. Best of luck to you.

People are trying to offer you advice to help with your situation. However, you don't want the hear that advice and play the "bule" card on something as simple as saving a few bucks on Steam. Being a citizen of a county other than your home county isn't always easy and isn't always straight forward but it is what it is. You were given a couple of solutions but you don't like what you are hearing so instead of thank you, you choose to be snide. Best of luck to you.

And then being so petty as to dislike the advice he was given.

Aduh lagi lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819