So this woke me up this morning.

I suppose Indonesia is just one large Bali to some Australians.

]
Only yesterday as I was buying cigarettes I mentioned I would be relieved at not having to pay that astronomical amount again for a few months with the cashier asking why. I said I'd be traveling to Indonesia to wit he replied knowingly "Oh, ya goin' ta Bali" I told him I'd be in Sumatra which confused him. After his furrowed brow and awkward pause he asked "Where's that? Is that near Bali?"

Just got hit with another one. Same spot as last time, much stronger at 6.8 on the Richter scale.

Revised to 7.0 on the Richter scale. Tsunami warning in Northern Lombok.

That was a bloody good shake !

Yep, windows and doors rattling here in Sanur.
Was felt also in Gember, Banyuwangi regency where the Miss has her family.
Well, that should keep them busy on the phone this evening.....

Some property damage in Denpasar. Lombok is without a doubt going to be worse...

e9f6d873-ebc0-433b-b3de-4c84c506ba0b.jpg
158b5808-55a0-4246-95ec-0dfabd46d7f8.jpg

That there are NO pictures from Lombok as of right now scares me a bit. Some rumors of heavy damage in Gili and Lombok, but nothing concrete yet.

Also small after shock of 5.6 magnitude just now.

From one of the guys on the rugby team I m with and lives in Bali: Potential tsunami warning for north lombok, north and east bali, as well as parts of Sumbawa.

'Hearing from Bali rugby group that Gili T got hit hard.'

I'll post any information I get from the group here.

Just heard about the new quake on the radio here in Hawaii...they said a number confirmed dead in Lombok, but I didn't catch how many.

From another rugby guy: ' The people in Lombok are getting an airlift starting tomorrow morning, some helicopters went through but sons of bitches were charging 20-30k USD. If you are in Gili or Lombok, food should be otw by airlift and blankets should already be provided by villas/hotels nearby. If you are in Gili, next helicopters for public will be tomorrow morning.'

I'm still hearing reports of very alarmed tourists trying to escape from Gili T
This video from yesterday (so totally out of date and hopefully it is a lot calmer today) does not look very pleasant:
https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasion...ideo-evakuasi-ribuan-wisatawan-gili-trawangan

I understand that people are terrified of more earthquakes and resulting tsunamis and are desperate to get away from the islands but this is a bit extreme.

If people were that terrified of earthquakes, why would they go to one of the most earthquake prone regions of our planet?

Out of curiosity; does anybody know if there would be an increased danger for yet another earthquake to hit right after these latest 2? Or are the chances of that pretty equal to the chances prior to these earthquakes?

If people were that terrified of earthquakes, why would they go to one of the most earthquake prone regions of our planet?

Out of curiosity; does anybody know if there would be an increased danger for yet another earthquake to hit right after these latest 2? Or are the chances of that pretty equal to the chances prior to these earthquakes?

I just read this article in the Jakarta Post on this topic:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/08/07/tremors-in-lombok-might-be-twin-earthquakes.html

Apparently, the 2 recent big quakes could be a "twin earthquake", but more research is needed. The article says:
“In the history of earthquakes in the world, there has been no record of a triple earthquake. If we can confirm that this is a double earthquake, we can safely say to the public that there will be a bigger earthquake,”

Some of the pictures coming out of Lombok are heartbreaking.

I just read this article in the Jakarta Post on this topic:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/08/07/tremors-in-lombok-might-be-twin-earthquakes.html

Apparently, the 2 recent big quakes could be a "twin earthquake", but more research is needed. The article says:
“In the history of earthquakes in the world, there has been no record of a triple earthquake. If we can confirm that this is a double earthquake, we can safely say to the public that there will be a bigger earthquake,”

That last part must be wrong, it's contradictory? "No history of triple earthquake", so surely they left out "not".

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back