Smoking meat...

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Anyone into smoking meat here ? Anywhere I could purchase or have a decent smoker made ? And where to buy or obtain good wood chips ?

lol ..... sorry

Last edited:
I don't know how they do it. I have a hard time keeping it lite everything I tried smoking and do you roll it or pack it in a pipe.

I'm wondering if we can find something like this here.

721001_Smokey-Mountain-Cooker.jpg

I'm sure I've seen smokers in Ace stores somewhere. It was likely in the Alam Sutera "Living World' where I'll go again next week and be sure to check them out and report back.

I'm sure I've seen smokers in Ace stores somewhere. It was likely in the Alam Sutera "Living World' where I'll go again next week and be sure to check them out and report back.

Cheers and thanks.

This thread and the other mentioned have me on a mission today. My belongings are still on ship somewhere (including a half decent gas BBQ) but I left my Big Green Egg at home. So I plan to buy a kettle grill of some sort at Ace, I think it will be fun to grill with. My local Ace (Lippo Mall Kemang) has the grills but only starter brickettes of a sort, no charcoal that I can see.

William did you get any farther with your quest?

If you found your grill what did you use for base charcoal?

Getting hungry...

I do a lot of grilling using brickettes I can buy from Farmers Market and Carrefour supermarket. I don't have a smoker yet, or lid for my grill, but I am planning to leave Indonesia in the next 6-12 months, so i didnt want to outlay a lot for something I just will need to ship.

Gents if anyone needs Kingsford briquettes I have a nice stash. They were running 250,000ish rp I can let some go for 125,000Rp if interested - I'm using a stick burner now. I also have a 22" Weber kettle with rotisserie, table and about 4 extra racks that I could let go for the right price. The unit can smoke some decent food.

... For local charcoal ask your pembantu/driver to go to the big local Pasar. A big sack can be had for 80,000rp. You'll want to ensure that it contains tree branch lump shapes or coconut shell materials - any lumber looking materials should not be used for food. Usually it is okay. I find it is great for searing but for long smokes it burns quick and somewhat inconsistent. I don't have a BBQ Genie thermometer / fan thing but reckon one of those would go a long way to get consistent temps from the local stuff.

Well I went ahead and got a small table top Weber from ACE. I am having fun with it. Not smoking yet just grilling. I have spent a good amount of time looking for a "chimney starter" with no luck, even looked for a deep Billy type cook pot I could make a chimney starter from. In the end I find myself getting my fire going like the satay street food vendors, lots of fanning the flames! I have purchased charcoal brickettes from Hero and Hypermarket and the coconut "wheels" from ACE but I am finding the best for me so far is the "arang" my driver finds at the local market. It is lump charcoal like, I think it is the same stuff Rugby mentions. It lights quicker for me and might not last long enough to smoke with.

Anyway I will continue using the local arang for now.

My gas BBQ just arrived with my container shipment, I will now try to figure out how to convert it to use the local cylinders, scratching my head about it now.

Once I get it going it will take over the easy grilling and I will focus on smoking with the table top.

Cheers

I have seen chimney starters at ace before. I fashioned my own with flashing from the hardware store. I made a small one for getting charcoal started for when smoking and a large one for cooking.

I use an electric fan to fan my coals....

Oh, and i start them on my stove top burner

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back