Six dead in early morning Police vs FPI clash.

dafluff

Cager
Indonesian police and FPI supporters clashed on Cikampek toll road, at around 00:30 WIB this morning. The police says it repelled an armed attack on its members who are on-duty investigating FPI leader Rizieq Shihab. The latter was supposed to be interviewed by the police at 10:00 am this morning.

Meanwhile the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) says a vehicle carrying their leader was ambushed by unknown attackers, as he and his family were on their way to an early morning prayer meeting.

The early morning incident has resulted in 6 deaths.

It appears that the FPI-holes literally brought knives to a gunfight...

Polda says that 6 cops were following Rizieq’s convoy when their vehicle was attacked and shot by a car carrying 10 of Rizieq’s men. On the contrary FPI claims that Rizieq’s convoy was blocked by unknown persons, who then attacked their men.

What’s not disputed is the fact that Rizieq and his entourage were heading away from Jakarta that morning, despite the interview invitation at 10 AM the same day. My theory is that cops were under orders to follow Rizieq at all times and ensure he didn’t just disappear. When 10 AM comes and Rizieq is not there, the police wants to know exactly where he is.

They say the incident happened at Km 50 on Cikampek toll road. There’s a rest area right at that spot, and I wonder if the fight took place there.

It’s possible that plain-clothed police officers in the tailing car aroused Rizieq’s suspicion, prompting his men to engage. It’s also possible that the officers realized that Rizieq had no intention of honoring the invitation, so they tried to block him from leaving and triggered the firefight.

In the press conference they exhibited two revolvers and three contact weapons recovered from Rizieq’s party. One reporter asked whether the firearms were homemade, and the Kapolda said they were not. They were ‘genuine’ articles, or factory-made. It’s interesting that the Inspector General mentioned only 3 shots were fired by Rizieq’s men, yet the police returned such an overwhelming fire that 6 people were killed.

This is an extraordinary incident. Recently Indonesian police have been refraining from shooting people dead on the spot. This time they were either under strict orders to keep Rizieq from fleeing at all cost, or they were genuinely being shot at.

The captured revolvers piqued my interest, because they don’t look like any mass produced model I know.

F3FDCDEA-3466-4546-BB14-81E2916499BB.jpeg

186A34A7-D291-478B-B6DC-35BBA98A7F40.jpeg

The left side of the wooden handled revolver is shown, and it doesn’t have any cylinder release button / toggle behind the cylinder. It’s not showing any obvious top break mechanism either. It seems that the only way to open the cylinder and load the bullets is by removing the cylinder pin. These revolvers weren’t created at home using household tools, but they weren’t made by any major manufacturer either. They have all the hallmarks of a home-industry craftsman. In Pakistan and Afghanistan these would be made in the Khyber Pass region, around here it could be made in the Philippines, or even locally in Cipacing.

Another tell is the bullets. The vast majority of revolvers use rimmed cartridges, having a base plate larger than the bullet diameter. These guns seem to use rimless 9mm Parabellum cartridges or something similar, yet there’s no sign of any moon clip to retain the rounds in the cylinder. Finding 9mm cartridges is easy, but .38 special is a little rare today.

I’d like to know what they find out about the guns. They can tell us about the logistics of FPI and their regional connections.

Reactions: LRB
The captured revolvers piqued my interest, because they don’t look like any mass produced model I know.
They looked like toy guns when I watched the video.

Do we know what happened with Riziek yesterday - is he still in Jakarta?

They looked like toy guns when I watched the video.

Do we know what happened with Riziek yesterday - is he still in Jakarta?
Rizieq didn’t show up to his second invite. Polri is now saying that it may pick him up by force.

"Shot while resisting arrest." is a phrase that comes to mind in these sort of circumstances.

FPI has a very strong incentive to deny ownership of those guns, because they know that the vast majority of Indonesians don’t support armed insurrection against the republic.

The police is not exactly a trusted institution in Indonesia, but this time I’m more inclined to believe their version. Making martyrs out of FPI goons on a stretch of Cikampek toll road sounds stupid, so it’s hard for me to believe that cops choreographed this incident. If they planned to shoot people, they might as well include Rizieq. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc