Simplification of Banking for foreigners?

Jstar is correct...there is much volatility in the currency markets and so easy to get it wrong.
The rates in IDR reflect this and, in addition to the high inflation in RI, the Gov't taxes bank deposit interest at 20%.

The UKP took a big loss in July with the Brexit referendum. I predicted that and, in June, took a punt at transferring UKP into IDR @ 20,000 to the pound and deposited 3 months at 7.5% pa (net 1.5% for 3 months).
Last week I bought back UKP @ IDR17,100.

Big profit 70% pa (net 18% for 3 months)....but sadly doesn't happen to me very often.

BTW I use HSBC Premium and internet transfer between accounts free of charge and get the best rate by phoning the Relationship Manager.

Jstar is correct...there is much volatility in the currency markets and so easy to get it wrong.
The rates in IDR reflect this and, in addition to the high inflation in RI, the Gov't taxes bank deposit interest at 20%.

The UKP took a big loss in July with the Brexit referendum. I predicted that and, in June, took a punt at transferring UKP into IDR @ 20,000 to the pound and deposited 3 months at 7.5% pa (net 1.5% for 3 months).
Last week I bought back UKP @ IDR17,100.

Big profit 70% pa (net 18% for 3 months)....but sadly doesn't happen to me very often.

Its a profit and certainly not to be sniffed at by any means but I'm not sure that you can quote this as 70% gross per annum as you're looking at what is a once in a lifetime event. Plus think of the risk :jaw: the brexit vote could have gone either way (polls were all over the place) and if remain had won the day you could have easily lost a similar amount based on circumstances that are completely outside you're control.

We're all at different stages with our financial planning. I would like a current account in RI (which I now have) and a savings account where I could get few % higher than the rates mentioned by Smallworld above, but with zero risk, otherwise I won't be able to sleep at nights.

Its a profit and certainly not to be sniffed at by any means but I'm not sure that you can quote this as 70% gross per annum as you're looking at what is a once in a lifetime event. Plus think of the risk brexit vote could have gone either way (polls were all over the place) and if remain had won the day you could have easily lost a similar amount based on circumstances that are completely outside you're control.

We're all at different stages with our financial planning. I would like a current account in RI (which I now have) and a savings account where I could get few % higher than the rates mentioned by Smallworld above, but with zero risk, otherwise I won't be able to sleep at nights.

You are correct. As soon as I posted I realized I'd made a mistake but my internet crapped out and I've just recovered it.
I was going to edit that part but, seeing as you've posted a response, I'll leave it ......
Thanks for noticing.

btw I just placed IDR 500Juta on 3 months F.D. in HSBC @ 6.75%...this is down from the 7.5% I got for the last 3 months. They don't give any interest on foreign currencies so I usually leave in the foreign currency 'till the relationship manager tells me the beneficial rates....then transact.

btw I just placed IDR 500Juta on 3 months F.D. in HSBC @ 6.75%...this is down from the 7.5% I got for the last 3 months. They don't give any interest on foreign currencies so I usually leave in the foreign currency 'till the relationship manager tells me the beneficial rates....then transact.

Aye, to me that makes sense as you're not locking up your money for a long period of time, but you can roll forward the capital every 3 months if you so chose.

Plus, provided you want to spend / use / re-invest the money plus interest here in RI, any interest rate fluctuations are out of the equation. CMB also have attractive rates for short-term deposits, and after tax the return is near 5% - which is great in my book.

Looking longer term there are lots of different factors in the pot, people that have been here a while probably remember the crash in the mid-90's that had a drastic impact in RI, fairly large and significant banks have gone under (Century) and many people here have noticed a creeping xenophobia that may affect visa status, bank deposits, property etc. in the foreseeable future. I'm not a pessimist but I'm not sure I'd want more than 30, 40 or maybe 50% of my savings in an onshore bank in RI. That number will probably go up as I drift towards old age and mean life expectancy.

CMB also have attractive rates for short-term deposits, and after tax the return is near 5% - which is great in my book.
For the record, any BPR would serve you an interest of 9,25% before tax, with your term deposit being guaranteed by the State to up to IDR 2.000.000.000 per account/customer
I have been banking with BPRs for years and can only say good about them. I however use them only for term deposits. For day to day banking they suck due to their very limited range of services.

So I just found out today (as I was writing an article to overview the banking in Indonesia), that apparently sometime last year the government relaxed the rules on foreigners opening a bank account. Apparently, you can now open a bank account with only a passport, no residency requirements. The only restriction is that the balance has to be a minimum of USD 2,000, and a maximum of USD 50,000. Does anyone have experience with this yet? Ie. anyone opening a bank account with just a passport and USD 2000?

Can you elaborate where you heard/read this? It's kind of hard to believe since BI has been hammering more and more on the banks in 2015...

I have been reading something similar (Kontan website) but they state there will be visitor accounts which are limited between $2,000 and $50,000. Especially for frequent visitors. For higher amounts you would still need a residency permit.

Last edited:
For the record, any BPR would serve you an interest of 9,25% before tax, with your term deposit being guaranteed by the State to up to IDR 2.000.000.000 per account/customer
I have been banking with BPRs for years and can only say good about them. I however use them only for term deposits. For day to day banking they suck due to their very limited range of services.

Question - whats a BPR ? The 2M deposit sounds a great idea.

The same here. One year's deposits with interests paid (mostly every 1 or 3 months).

Thanks guys, I'll have a read of the article and see what's available near me in Solo.

Question - whats a BPR ? The 2M deposit sounds a great idea.
This is a partial and updated paste of something I wrote years ago in another forum:

In Indonesia you have two types of bank :

- Bank Umum which are commonly called Commercial Bank in English.
- Bank Perkreditan Rakyat (BPR) which are commonly called Rural Bank in English

Those banks do not have the same role and do not enjoy the same freedom, nor they have the same authorization granted by Bank Indonesia.

Commercial bank, operate in much more sectors than rural bank and therefore are more controlled by Bank of Indonesia and the Lembaga Penjaminan Simpanan (Indonesia Deposit Insurance Corporation). The latter is the organism which guarantee the customer's deposit in banks and pay (part of) the bill in case of a failure. Needless to say that they keep an eye on what is going on.

As per today (September 11th, 2016), Bank Umum are authorized to propose term deposits with interest up to 6,75%. This is the maximum they are authorized to give to keep your term deposit insured and safe (again, as per today). This maximum rate of 6,75% is called the Tingkat bunga yang wajar or Maximum Insured Interest Rate for the English denomination.

Among those bank umum who would strictly stick to the Bank Indonesia regulation and the LPS policy, are the most prominent one: Mandiri, BCA, BRI, BNI, CIMB Niaga, or bank such as HSBC, UOB, Citibank...etc.

Do not expect any of them to breach the agreement they have with BI and LPS. They will serve you an interest rate of perhaps 6% to 6,50%, depending on the amount you intend to invest and the length you want it to be blocked and at the maximum and for their most valued nasabah, 6,75%. However they will be able to provide you a lot of quality services such as internet banking, credit card, premium account facilities, overseas transfer (with money arriving or being received without hassles or headaches), hard currency denomination account...etc.

Then, still in the bank umum category, you have a few banks such as Bukopin, Panin, Danamon, Bank Mega, Permata and a few others who may accept to serve you, in contradiction with the Bank Indonesia regulation, an interest rate above the 6,75% or some gift or cash back allowing you to have more than what LPS would like you to get. Their services do not match the one of the bank cited in the above paragraph, but are still good for everyday banking. You can negotiate with them special rates for any large amount. In the past I managed to have some pretty good deal with some of these banks, allowing me to get an extra 2% or so above the Tingkat bunga yang wajar authorized for Bank Umum.

But the real good deal is not to be found in all these Commercial banks described above. You should investigate Rural Banks (Bank Perkreditan Rakyat) if you are just looking for high interest rate with no or almost no service (no credit or debit card...etc).

I have a deal with two such banks in my region which pays me 9,25% interest rate and still offers me the full guaranty of LPS up to 2 milyar. Bank Perkreditan Rakyat are authorized to pay interest up to 9,25% (again the tingkat bunga yang wajar valid for BPR in September 2016) where bank umum can't exceed the 6,75% mark. That's something you should know.

However, these two BPR I have term deposits in have some inconvenient: they have no branches outside Sulawesi Utara, I have no credit or debit card and therefore me money is only available during banking hours at the counter. However, they also pay me an incredible 7% on my current account. Though my initial term deposit was set on a 6 months term, I now enjoy the privilege to be able to open term deposits of any amount with the same 9,25% rate with a 1 month term only.

Some Bank Perkreditan Rakyat may propose you interest above the Tingkat Bunga yang Wajar they are authorized to pay. I would advise you to be very cautious with it.

The Tingkat bunga yang wajar I've been giving in this post (ie 6,75% for bank umum and 9,25% for bank perkreditan rakyat) are the one effective for the period until September 14th 2016. They may be revised after this date, though I doubt it will change for now. However, I believe that it will go slightly down in the future and it is the reason why I've tied to a 12 month period most of my term deposits in BPR.

Last, if it wouldn't be cautious to accept an interest rate above the tingkat bunga yang wajar, be aware that any gift you would negotiate with the bank on top of the interest serve would NOT affect the guarantee of your term deposit in case of a bank failure. In the past I have negotiated Gold with them and got offered up to 5g of Gold for each 100 millions invested in 12 months term deposit. This is normally a deal which concern only "fresh money" (new term deposit) but you can easily have it extended to current term deposit you own when they come to term by threatening to withdraw the whole thing. Remember, you deal with bankers. No pity or shame to have.

Nowadays, I get less than the 5g of gold / 100 juta I was used to get but there are still room to slightly improve legally and in all security the maximum interest rate allowed by LPS. If I get less now than what I was used to get, it is more because I have become more lenient with my bankers than because of the economical situation and the possibility they have.

Last edited:
^
Great. Now that really corresponds with the title of the thread.

^
Great. Now that really corresponds with the title of the thread.

^^ Wot 'e said - with (gold-plated) knobs on. Thanks a lot - I can see a project coming on my next leave.

Does it ever make you wonder how an institution can offer such rates, is it because they offer slightly higher rates (than these) to locally based borrowers and the BPR margins are so low ?

I now enjoy the privilege to be able to open term deposits of any amount with the same 9,25% rate with a 1 month term only.

:shocked:

So with 1M deposit, we'd be getting 92.5 * 0.8 (?) tax = 74jt cash in hand every month?

^
Divided by 12. And for one to three months only; those depositos are never long term.

(so: Amount * 9.25% * months / 12 * 80%)

So for 1 billion rupiah I calculate a bit over 6 juta.

Yearly interest rate, duh. :doh:

Got a bit too excited there, *cancelling ticket to Manado*.

^
And for one to three months only; those depositos are never long term.
This is not correct. This is for 1, 3,6 or 12 months. You would get the most advantages above the rate of 9,25% if you tie your term deposit to 12 months, which is what the bank is looking for. They are only mildly interested by short term deposit. They would still give you the maximum 9,25% if you invest a large amount, but don't expect to negotiate much freebies above the maximum LPS rate for a term deposit of only 1 or 3 months.

After tax (20%), you would get around Rp, 6.166.666 per month and per Rp 1 billion term deposit.

Not really O., it all depends on prediction. The bank Umum here are very hesitant going further than 6 months. (Believe me, we shop with at least 6 of them very regularly.) And since it gets riskier for them, most often the longer term versions generate lower interest rates.

This is not correct. This is for 1, 3,6 or 12 months. You would get the most advantages above the rate of 9,25% if you tie your term deposit to 12 months, which is what the bank is looking for. They are only mildly interested by short term deposit. They would still give you the maximum 9,25% if you invest a large amount, but don't expect to negotiate much freebies above the maximum LPS rate for a term deposit of only 1 or 3 months.

After tax (20%), you would get around Rp, 6.166.666 per month and per Rp 1 billion term deposit.

LPS has now listed 6.25% for regular bank, and 8.75% for BPR. http://www.lps.go.id/

Also please note that only up to Rp 2 billion is insured per customer, per bank, so spread out amounts over this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinYao