Side business

Topspliff

Hi all

I'm new here so hope someone can help me.

I'm currently employed by an overseas company that have a small office here in Jakarta.

I'm registered for tax, I have my kitas paid for me, and have documents allowing me to work in Indonesia.

Ok good so far, now I partnered up with a local Indonesian as a consultant to her business, obviously I don't do the work for free and charge a small fee for my work.

My question is very simple, am I allowed by law to work for this side business, especially as I will be paying tax to the government.

Obviously if I'm not allowed then I'll have to find a solution as I'm due payment very soon.

I just need clarification as to whether I'm only allowed to work for the company that actually sponsors me to work here, or if it's ok to do a side business as long as tax is paid and the side work is declared.

All advice great fully appreciated as I don't wish to get in trouble.

Many thanks Alan

snpark

Cager
No absolutely not, its a big no no and very dangerous and they will find out

Regardless of how small or harmless you think it is and paying tax etc (how???) it is illegal
One sponsor one job, no part time, no freelance, no voluntary intern etc

Ironically you paying tax is probably how you will get caught when they wonder why you receive income from 2 seperate sources

snpark

Cager
BTW I would also change your name from Tospliff to avoid any negative connotations with dr*gs

dafluff

Cager
I'm currently employed by an overseas company that have a small office here in Jakarta.

I'm registered for tax, I have my kitas paid for me, and have documents allowing me to work in Indonesia.

Correction: The company that is currently sponsoring you has a permit to employ a specific foreigner (you) in Indonesia (called an IMTA). You have a work KITAS sponsored by the company, which in conjunction with the IMTA, allows you to work at this company, and only at this company. Important: You do not have a permit to work anywhere else in Indonesia (or start a side business, freelancing, etc).

Ok good so far, now I partnered up with a local Indonesian as a consultant to her business, obviously I don't do the work for free and charge a small fee for my work.

My question is very simple, am I allowed by law to work for this side business, especially as I will be paying tax to the government.

Obviously if I'm not allowed then I'll have to find a solution as I'm due payment very soon.

The answer is also very simple: no you are not allowed to do this.

Topspliff

BTW I would also change your name from Tospliff to avoid any negative connotations with dr*gs
Thanks for the advice, but the name has nothing to do with drugs, so if government are watching , I`m a good boy

Topspliff

Correction: The company that is currently sponsoring you has a permit to employ a specific foreigner (you) in Indonesia (called an IMTA). You have a work KITAS sponsored by the company, which in conjunction with the IMTA, allows you to work at this company, and only at this company. Important: You do not have a permit to work anywhere else in Indonesia (or start a side business, freelancing, etc).

The answer is also very simple: no you are not allowed to do this.
Ok, this seems clear enough, my fault for not finding out sooner, I guess I will just walk away from payment, however, this is related to a Kitas, what about if I was sponsored by my wife and then get a Kitap, or are there still stupid rules applied to me?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyathink
Top Bottom