Senator John McCain dead.

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
Sad to report that Senator John McCain has just died...RIP John.....You were an American hero.

Senator John McCain was the Senator for our region when I lived in Scottsdale, AZ. We're Canadian but dearly wanted to get a green card and stay in Scottsdale instead of snow-birding to and fro Vancouver.
He had a book signing in Phoenix which I attended and bought his book "Worth the fighting for".
Before he started his speech, about why he wrote the book, I sat next to a young lady who would get up and whisper stuff to him...I said "Do you know the Senator?" and she advised she was his Arizona secretary. I then chatted to her about my desire to get PR in the States as we owned a home in Scottsdale and wanted to permanently reside. I also added that the Senator and I were the same age, I was born in Scotland and he's a Mc, and both had similar military aviation careers. His in the US Navy and mine in the RAF.
She whispered to him and he asked me to stay until after the book ceremony was complete.
I had a very enjoyable short conversation while he indicated to his secretary to take notes. He took an interest in my politics as I had spent many years in so many different countries prior to retirement....I more or less agreed that the government he envisaged was in tandem to my own ideals.

We exchanged cards and I thought no more of the event...it was just a lucky happenstance that I got to talk with him anyway.
But no...a few days later I got a call to bring all my relevant documents to his office. They were copied and the nice secretary said they will look at all the laws to see if we could become PR.
A month later another call from the secretary herself apologizing that they could not find a way to get a PR more than I already had applied for...she wished me luck and asked if there was anything else she could do for me. I said "Yes...where can I get a refund on this book?" She laughed and said she was going to tell John what I said as he likes a sense of humor..

The Senator has just rejected all remedy for his cancer and co-incidentally so did I for the Colon Metastasis that has attached to my liver. Both our prognosis are unclear but, like John, I've had a full life and enjoyed every minute.
John McCain personifies what the American way of life was intended...he came from a long line of military, loyal to defend America, dutiful in all endeavors and sympathetic to those in need.

I still have his book signed ...to David....John McCain. I will treasure it.

May he be remembered for many things, but right now particularly for his example of political civility:

McCain was pretty awesome. I didn't agree with a lot of his political ideas, and I think choosing Sarah Palin as a running mate was a big mistake, but he was a hero who proved his courage while he was a POW, a patriot, an honorable man, and a truth teller. I'd give anything to have someone with his integrity in the White House now.

The USA flag over the nations White House was lowered to half-mast as a mark of respect for Senator John McCain as is law. It was re-instated to full-mast as soon as that rule of lowering for the day of death + one day...however, tradition has it that for a sitting Senator it is not normally lowered until his/her internment.
This is on the order of a tempestuous, petty president of USA and his Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (it is his duty to advise)...who has steadfastly refused to answer why the tradition was not included for this very senior Senator.

Edit: I woke this morning to find the White House has rescinded its decision and lowered the flag to half-mast again to abide by traditional protocol for Senator John McCain.
I sometimes wonder why anyone would tarnish their reputation to work in this West House chaos. Long after Trump has left the scene those people will still have to live their lives sullied by this experience.
I have dedicated myself to re-read, after ten years, McCain's book "Worth the fighting for'...to see, in hindsight, if I missed any pertinent details that would deny the Senator's fame to be one of the foremost Americans of his generation.
Americans have been the most generous of nations, particularly due to great men like General Marshall whose name was given to the assistance USA gave to Europe and UK after the devastation of WW2. As a child of that era I'm grateful...otherwise I may not have survived the malnutrition we endured.

Last edited:
Let us remember what an American president used to sound.

Supposed to sound.

Nimbus...thank you so much for posting #7
It was not only a eulogy for the Senator it was a speech that should go down in American history.
I read the Gettysburg Address in the halls of the Lincoln memorial on my recent visit and wept as I realized the difficult times the USA went through then but, after listening to ex-president Obama yesterday, I recognized the same issues are re-emerging today and his speech was very reminiscent of the same inscribed on the wall in the Lincoln Memorial.

I'd suggest Americans should read both and attempt to make a comparison ......the meanings are self-evident.

The contrast between the current President and his immediate predecessors have never been more striking; a view, I think John McCain, intended to have highlighted.

Obama was also a great speaker, another reason why McCain picked him, I'm sure

Obama was also a great speaker, another reason why McCain picked him, I'm sure
Obama was also his political opponent, the man who defeated him in a presidential race. McCain wanted people to know that he'd rather have Obama, a Democrat, than Trump. Obama never served in the military, but he is a man of honor. Trump doesn't know honor if it bites him in the ass.

A solemn occasion dragged into the political sleaze by (of all people) daughter Meghan (while crying) and Obama. Obama can only claim charisma, which should not be confused with honor; scratch the surface and you'll find the usual corrupt practices associated with politicians, particularly Democrats.

There is no-one on the blue side of the house that comes even close to the honor of a Republican, John McCain (RIP).

There is no-one on the blue side of the house that comes even close to the honor of a Republican, John McCain (RIP).

And yet it is apparent you have learned nothing from his example.

A solemn occasion dragged into the political sleaze by (of all people) daughter Meghan (while crying) and Obama. Obama can only claim charisma, which should not be confused with honor; scratch the surface and you'll find the usual corrupt practices associated with politicians, particularly Democrats.

I like John McCain, but he was very much a politician himself. He was a good man, but a saint he wasn't.

Huh? Learning experience on the message promised; strained attack on the messenger delivered.

Who does that "sound most like"? Plenty of examples on CNN/Fox.

Ho hum.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats