Scotland, October 2019 Album

Wisnu

Charter Member
An album from our trip to Scotland, October 2019.
Not the best weather for traveling, raining almost everyday, but still enjoyed the trip. We are considering to visit again this year or other destination : Wales, Iceland, Ireland?
Any suggestions are welcome.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHWqrVa

Wow, could be travel brochure for Scotland. I’ve been there, and don‘t remember such vistas. :)

awesome pics..... now I'm homesick

Better rain than the alternative....fog. I was on St. Andrews and you could see 2 meters.

Great pics.

If you do Ireland, you could do Dublin in combination with Cashel or Kilkenny or so. Cliffs and rugged countryside in the west are also impressive.

Better rain than the alternative....fog. I was on St. Andrews and you could see 2 meters.

Great pics.

If you do Ireland, you could do Dublin in combination with Cashel or Kilkenny or so. Cliffs and rugged countryside in the west are also impressive.
thanks jstar
then I was lucky with St. Andrew we had few hours sunny and blue sky on this trip and 4 days sunny days few years ago - but it was on summer.
i wish i could have more time on isle of skye, 2 days/1 night was not enough
Ireland is in our wish list, will do more research and compare with isle of skye

thanks jstar
then I was lucky with St. Andrew we had few hours sunny and blue sky on this trip and 4 days sunny days few years ago - but it was on summer.
i wish i could have more time on isle of skye, 2 days/1 night was not enough
Ireland is in our wish list, will do more research and compare with isle of skye
The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland is breathtaking (I might be a bit biased as I'm Irish).
I would just skip Dublin altogether and stick to the west coast. Dingle peninsula (+blasket islands +mt brandon and some gorgeous beaches), ring of kerry, achill island, cliffs of moher, slieve league...there are so many highlights.
Your photos of Scotland are stunning! I need to do more travel there but will wait till I move home someday. Thanks for sharing.

The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland is breathtaking (I might be a bit biased as I'm Irish).
I would just skip Dublin altogether and stick to the west coast. Dingle peninsula (+blasket islands +mt brandon and some gorgeous beaches), ring of kerry, achill island, cliffs of moher, slieve league...there are so many highlights.
Your photos of Scotland are stunning! I need to do more travel there but will wait till I move home someday. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gemima, the wild Atlantic way - is very tempting. Quick google, there's so many information available in the net. That's great but in other side is not easy to choose if your time (and money too) is limited.
I will certainly look more detail on west coast route as you mentioned above. I think we can allocate 8-10 days total. Have not checked the flight from cairo yet.
So with 8-10 days, do you think we should stick to west coast only - or we can also cover the north west coast.
Any reason to skip Dublin? I understood we will have to start and end in Dublin right? I assume it will be more less similar like the Utah grand circle drive (1500 miles) we also did last year - start/end from vegas.
Is it not worth to stay one night to explore the city? We do like museum, and good restaurant as well.

Yeah, just like the Dutch with Amsterdam, not so many Irish people feel a strong emotional connection to their own capital. We like it a lot though.
Seem it is also applicable to me. I don't really appreciate Jakarta, the city where I was born.
I do have strong reason to avoid Jakarta if possible (unfortunately not). Particularly now when mr.gakbener is on seat.

I would suggest going to Cornwall (South West corner of England), but not during the English school holidays as it gets too crowded. You could go to places like Bude, Land's End, Scilly Isles, Padstow.

Thanks gemima, the wild Atlantic way - is very tempting. Quick google, there's so many information available in the net. That's great but in other side is not easy to choose if your time (and money too) is limited.
I will certainly look more detail on west coast route as you mentioned above. I think we can allocate 8-10 days total. Have not checked the flight from cairo yet.
So with 8-10 days, do you think we should stick to west coast only - or we can also cover the north west coast.
Any reason to skip Dublin? I understood we will have to start and end in Dublin right? I assume it will be more less similar like the Utah grand circle drive (1500 miles) we also did last year - start/end from vegas.
Is it not worth to stay one night to explore the city? We do like museum, and good restaurant as well.
Hi there,
I didn't mean to rule out Dublin, I went to uni and lived there for years and I love Dublin. I suppose, its quite different from other European cities as we had a more impoverished history so it's lacking in the style, opulence and development that you can see in many other cities (there are still some beautiful buildings/ museums/ streets/ parks etc.). It's also a quite expensive city and some people say it doesn't provide value for money.
Since the country is so small it is possible to drive from Dublin to the west coast in a few hours so certainly doable in a 8-10 day trip. Doing the entire wild atlantic way & dublin would be very challenging in that time scale because a lot of the roads once you are in the west are narrow/ potholed/ slow. However you could do a segment of it and still include Dublin in your itinerary.
There are also some great places nearer to Dublin (Glendalough in the Wicklow mountains (+some nice hiking) and Newgrange in Meath (5000+ years old passage tomb that still aligns with the winter solstice sun) are just 2 off the top of my head) - it all depends what you like doing/ visiting!

Hi there,
I didn't mean to rule out Dublin, I went to uni and lived there for years and I love Dublin. I suppose, its quite different from other European cities as we had a more impoverished history so it's lacking in the style, opulence and development that you can see in many other cities (there are still some beautiful buildings/ museums/ streets/ parks etc.). It's also a quite expensive city and some people say it doesn't provide value for money.
Since the country is so small it is possible to drive from Dublin to the west coast in a few hours so certainly doable in a 8-10 day trip. Doing the entire wild atlantic way & dublin would be very challenging in that time scale because a lot of the roads once you are in the west are narrow/ potholed/ slow. However you could do a segment of it and still include Dublin in your itinerary.
There are also some great places nearer to Dublin (Glendalough in the Wicklow mountains (+some nice hiking) and Newgrange in Meath (5000+ years old passage tomb that still aligns with the winter solstice sun) are just 2 off the top of my head) - it all depends what you like doing/ visiting!

Thanks a lot. Will use your info as our starting point to dig more and planning.

What could have quite an impact; you'd need a Schengen visa (if you didnt foresee to visit the EU and dont have a 5 year version).

We both have 5 years UK visa and US visa.
Our 5 years schengen visa expired last year. We can't apply 5 years schengen visa from Egypt. Our schengen visa is only valid for one year.
My wife just told me that we can't use UK visa to visit ireland. Too bad, the processing time for Ireland visa is 8 weeks.
I got my 5 years UK and US visa in less than a week.
No way to apply visa with processing time of 8 weeks. I can't let my passport out my hand for more than 2 weeks.
Unfortunately. I have to drop Ireland from list of country to visit, at least for now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819