Renting a car from a private person

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
So a buddy of mine is leaving for a while and offered me to rent his car, I’m thinking to take him up on his offer but what do I need to look out for?

I’d like to make a small agreement sealed with a materai, stating the terms etc. Car has full insurance, he is responsible for regular maintenance, technical issues etc. Car is also still covered under dealer warranty. I understand there won’t be a replacement car (unless from insurance) in case anything wrong, I’m willing to accept that.

What do I need to look out for? Would have to be paid a year upfront. Any advise welcomed.

I’m always a bit hesitant with these kind of agreements since it often destroys friendships.

Now in this case, I would be somewhat concerned what would happen in case of an accident. And the premium of the insurance (for him) going up if you’d have to use it.

Add pictures etc. so the condition of the car and the state of the interior are clear. (Holes in seat covers, scratches on door handles, ...)

Btw, I have some kind of arrangement with some friends in Europe that they can use a car of mine when I'm not around. But they organize the insurance themselves (they need to be mentioned as drivers), as well as the yearly MOT test. Also, the maintenance and tires are their responsibilities. We share the costs of bigger repairs. In return I have a car that is well maintained and regularly driven; the worst thing for a car is to stand still for a long period of time.

But still; every time I see new scratches etc. from loading stuff and scuff marks from parking, I cringe.

? And with something that is rather probable; a new clutch? Or if the gear box gives up and needs to be replaced for 12 Juta? Is that wear and tear? In Indonesia it could be. But the other party might argue it is because of reckless and unresponsible driving behavior.

Talking about driving behavior; if you only drive short distances and in macet and with low quality gasoline the chance is bigger the throttle (katup gas) will malfunction and have to be cleaned or even replaced. The owner might argue it is because of the driving style or stinginess in buying gasoline (and he'd have a point).

Thanks for the advice. Got the car with a very favourable agreement which I had the company lawyer check, all good!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back