Quickest Way to visit the US

Daniel Gomez

I've been married for a year now. My wife is Indonesian and I'm an American citizen. We have applied to visit the USA twice and have been rejected. Does anyone know how we can go visit family to the US without the long process.we don't want to apply for her spousal visa because we plan to live in Indonesia. I heard it can take up to two years.

We don't own land or property in Indonesia. I'm the bread winner and my wife stays at home.

What about now during COVID-19 crisis ? I wouldn't want to leave my wife alone, so are there any laws or exceptions where she can enter the US with me?

Thank you all. In the past you have been helpful.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Even in normal times, getting a US visa can be tough. The fact she’s been rejected twice doesn’t help either.

Sometimes people who are going as part of a tour group seem to get visas, when the tour company arranges them, but that‘s unlikely in these days.

For a spousal visa, it is pricey, and you need to show a certain level of income.

cestpasmyjob

What sometimes helps is to get a visa somewhere else - say Australia/ NZ/ EU, then the US may be more comfortable with giving her one. Of course, they may reject as well.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
When did you apply for the tourist visa and what paperwork did you have/submit?

Daniel Gomez

We hav
What sometimes helps is to get a visa somewhere else - say Australia/ NZ/ EU, then the US may be more comfortable with giving her one. Of course, they may reject as well.
We have been to Australia twice for over a month each visit.

Daniel Gomez

Even in normal times, getting a US visa can be tough. The fact she’s been rejected twice doesn’t help either.

Sometimes people who are going as part of a tour group seem to get visas, when the tour company arranges them, but that‘s unlikely in these days.

For a spousal visa, it is pricey, and you need to show a certain level of income.

The cost for a spousal visa isn't an issue. We just plan to stay in Indonesia. If we wanted to move to the US we would apply for a spousal visa.

Daniel Gomez

It seems to me that the only way we can go to the US together is by applying for a spousal visa.. At from the info I've gotten here

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
I think it was last year before December. All the paperwork we could find.
So 2018? How long had you been married for before you applied? I am only asking as I am trying to think of why your wife's visa was rejected.

When my wife applied for her visa in the summer of 2016, she filled out the online application, I wrote a personal letter for the person who was going to do the interview, my parents(who we were going to visit) even wrote a letter of invitation, and then my wife took our marriage certificate along with the other forms they requested.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I’d guess it’s the short amount of time you’ve been married, lack of permanent ties to Indonesia, and worry that she won’t return to Indonesia.

They like to see: House owned or leased in Indonesia, full time job, money in the bank, etc.

Vanuatu

Charter Member
Cager
My wife was approved for a US visa about 1 year after we got married without any excess paperwork (although this was in 2009). Had your wife been turned down for a visa before marriage? If she had been rejected before it is often much harder to get approved in the future. Do you have a child? For us it seemed much easier as the embassy staff knew us from when we did our marriage paperwork and then again when our son was born and we processed his US passport, my wife did her visa paperwork a few weeks after his passport was processed and as they knew her already they didn't even do a real interview (it lasted less than 5 minutes).

The fact that she has had an Australia visa approved and traveled overseas and is married to a US citizen makes me think there is another reason they are being difficult, a visa rejection in the past or they may think it is a shame marriage. These are just some reasons I have heard from friends who I have met over the years that worked in the embassy.

You may try e-mailing the embassy with a heartfelt e-mail about wanting to take your wife to the US to meet your family and express your frustrations with the rejected visa application and ask for reasons and help to get it approved. They don't always respond and they may not tell you anything, but you may get the right person at the right time who will feel some empathy towards your situation and offer some guidance.

good luck.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m17tgw
Top Bottom