Question: Domestic travel for minor children, documents required?

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
Asking for a friend... Kind of an odd question, I suppose. My friend's kiddos, aged 9 and 14 have US and Indonesian passports. Both of their Indonesian passports have expired, but US ones have some validity left (though no Immigration stamps because... dual citizens). They and their parents want to head to Bali during Lebaran, but do not know if they will have time to renew the passports between now and then. Is photo ID required for minor children flying between Jakarta and Bali? They obviously will not have to go through Immigration, but will the airline require current govt-issued photo IDs for minors? They do have school-issued photo IDs, but other than that, just the expired passports (and current, but unstamped foreign ones).

Just bring both passports, he'll be fine.

Even if the passport is expired, it still is a proof of Indonesian citizenship and holds the entry stamps.

Regardless, he should always have a valid proof of ID for his children. The old passport is only to confirm the immigration status.

I’ve never been asked for ID for my under 10 year old flying domestically.

My niece doesn't have a passport and travels on the plane just using her school ID without issue.

Followup on this: we noticed that the flight prices for CGK - DPS were already quite dear, and hence decided to stay in town. We got a good deal on a local hotel with a nice pool & free breakfast (also attached to a mall in a strategic location). 7 nights of "staycation" hotel will cost the same as about 1.5 roundtrip flights to Bali. We will still have the benefits of not washing dishes or cleaning the house during Lebaran.

You need to plan your trips well in advance, if you’re traveling near or during a holiday.

I normally see CGK-DPS for 800k-1,500k RT. Jumping on sales helps a lot.

Followup on this: we noticed that the flight prices for CGK - DPS were already quite dear, and hence decided to stay in town. We got a good deal on a local hotel with a nice pool & free breakfast (also attached to a mall in a strategic location). 7 nights of "staycation" hotel will cost the same as about 1.5 roundtrip flights to Bali. We will still have the benefits of not washing dishes or cleaning the house during Lebaran.
We stay at the Doubletree often during this period, and have always enjoyed it. One of our first years the breakfast quality was off pretty badly. A quick word with a manager solved the problem, thankfully.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back