Pvc glue?

OomBen

Charter Member
Cager
I'm from the USA and when I was a kid, I'd always see my dad messing around with the sprinkler system. He used PVC pipe and whenever he'd glue them together, he'd use a primer and then the cement.

Enter Indonesia...

Is the technology for PVC pipe glue here more advanced? Because I've never seen any primer, you just use your lem pipa PVC and voila! You're done... So long as your joints don't leak.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this or knows why pvc glue is different. Maybe there's just no building codes for this stuff or it's just cheaper to have one part for joining pipe together.

OK why did I post this under this section? Because my hobby is to sniff glue. No, just kidding. I fix stuff at the house as a hobby I guess. I could pay someone but seems like whenever I pay someone to do a job they don't do it right. 😂

snpark

Cager
what is a glue sniffers idea of a packed lunch?

sellotape

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
I'm from the USA and when I was a kid, I'd always see my dad messing around with the sprinkler system. He used PVC pipe and whenever he'd glue them together, he'd use a primer and then the cement.

Enter Indonesia...

Is the technology for PVC pipe glue here more advanced? Because I've never seen any primer, you just use your lem pipa PVC and voila! You're done... So long as your joints don't leak.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this or knows why pvc glue is different. Maybe there's just no building codes for this stuff or it's just cheaper to have one part for joining pipe together.

OK why did I post this under this section? Because my hobby is to sniff glue. No, just kidding. I fix stuff at the house as a hobby I guess. I could pay someone but seems like whenever I pay someone to do a job they don't do it right. 😂
Have never seen anyone use a primer here. Saw very little primer used in the US too. I have done maybe 100 fittings here for one reason or another besides just water plumbing and have never used a primer. What is best is to take some coarse sandpaper to each surface being glued. Then the glue. If at all possible, a slight twist of no more than 1/4 turn take care of it. I have never had a leak here or the US. It really isn't a glue. What it does is chemically melt the PVC together.

It there is a problem with any plumbing I just fix it knowing full well that if I hired someone I would still need to fix it. So amazed at some of the work. Little to no glue applied to fittings seems to be a normal procedure. It their fitting leaks, just tightly wrap it with pipe tape.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
I think the water pressure in USA is significantly higher than the common pressures in Indonesia, also smaller daily and seasonal temperature changes here, and never freezing. Just a few guesses why, but, knock on wood, the few dozen pipes I have glued in Indonesia have never leaked or failed at a glue joint using the one part clear glue commonly available.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Priming, or rather cleaning, the joint area is a precautionary step that is often dispensed with world wide. Unless your joint area is unusually dirty, don't bother or simply clean with a mild detergent and water. Really, no need to shell out extra money for a branded primer.

macvert

Cager
The only thing I could add is to abrade the pipes circumferentially not lengthways so as to not provide any possible tracking points.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hindustanuniv
Top Bottom