Probowo for President

Jokowi announced that his running mate will be Ma'ruf Amin, who is both NU chairman and MUI chairman. This follows NU's earlier statement that Mahfud Md was not going to be supported by NU as Jokowi's running mate.

While on one hand this significantly strengthens Jokowi's credentials with Indonesia's majority Muslim population, there are concerns about the cleric's age and ability to campaign. Further, there may be resentment within other Muslim organizations in Indonesia for Jokowi having chosen someone so close to NU.

No matter who wins this election, it's a victory for political Islam.

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasion...ih-maruf-amin-sebagai-cawapres-di-pemilu-2019

Last edited:
Jokowi announced that his running mate will be Ma'ruf Amin, who is both NU chairman and MUI chairman. This follows NU's earlier statement that Mahfud Md was not going to be supported by NU as Jokowi's running mate.

While on one hand this significantly strengthens Jokowi's credentials with Indonesia's majority Muslim population, there are concerns about the cleric's age and ability to campaign. Further, there may be resentment within other Muslim organizations in Indonesia for Jokowi having chosen someone so close to NU.

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasion...ih-maruf-amin-sebagai-cawapres-di-pemilu-2019

I watched the announcement on TV and wondered if this 75 year old will even be around for the elections next year...I hope Jokowi has a stand-by in mind.
Mahathir of Malaysia is 93 but he looks reasonably fit.

This is the same guy who was a prosecution witness against Ahok and his testimony was accepted...even tho' he admitted he never heard the edited 'blasphemy speech' himself he said, from his position and authority, that it was blasphemy...... and Ahok got 2 years in jail.
So much for fairness and justice under this man's watch as VP.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...st-kind-of-document-chairman-tells-court.html

This is the same guy who was a prosecution witness against Ahok and his testimony was accepted...even tho' he admitted he never heard the edited 'blasphemy speech' himself he said, from his position and authority, that it was blasphemy...... and Ahok got 2 years in jail.
So much for fairness and justice under this man's watch as VP.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...st-kind-of-document-chairman-tells-court.html
When you read more about him it would be scary if Jokowi won the election and died and this guy became president. One can only hope Jokowi is using him to get out the Muslim vote and hoping that he will then resign due to old age / illness within the first year and maybe he can appoint Ahok as his replacement.

Is it just me or does he resemble master shifu a bit?

2017_01_31_20466_1485836539._large.jpg

latest

hoping that he will then resign due to old age / illness within the first year and maybe he can appoint Ahok as his replacement.
In the Indonesian system who picks the new VP? Is it the President? The DPR? The party? I read something saying that if Sandiaga Uno becomes VP the party will choose the new Jakarta Vice Governor to replace him.

I think you pick the President and his running mate is the VP right? Like Trump / Pence, Jokowi / Kalla etc

You are voting for "team"

Just watched Prabowo at the KPU registering, quite a few all cronies there, if the devil could cast his net, what a haul he would get
Must be some return on paying 500 billion to be Vice President

In the Indonesian system who picks the new VP? Is it the President? The DPR? The party? I read something saying that if Sandiaga Uno becomes VP the party will choose the new Jakarta Vice Governor to replace him.

Officially the President chooses his running mate (and all cabinet ministers). In reality of course there is a lot of transactional politics going on, and there is a lot of concessions to coalition party members. This has always been Jokowi's main weakness, in part because he's not in charge of PDI-P, nor is PDI-P anywhere near popular enough to go it alone.

Officially the President chooses his running mate (and all cabinet ministers). In reality of course there is a lot of transactional politics going on, and there is a lot of concessions to coalition party members. This has always been Jokowi's main weakness, in part because he's not in charge of PDI-P, nor is PDI-P anywhere near popular enough to go it alone.
But when elected for the second term and he's not seeking other political positions he should be able to be free to choose his cabinet I think?

Officially the President chooses his running mate (and all cabinet ministers).
What I meant was, in reference to Vanuatu's post, who picks the new VP if the current VP resigns or dies?

Wonder what would happen if Probowo won, he isn’t welcome in the US and his running mate just went to Russia, gets back and lo and behold he becomes Probowos running mate, I have a suspicious nature

Wonder what would happen if Probowo won, he isn’t welcome in the US and his running mate just went to Russia, gets back and lo and behold he becomes Probowos running mate, I have a suspicious nature

Don't be surprised if some of Prabowo's camp are actually more in line/ favourable to some US interests, then Jokowi.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back