Posting alcohol from outside Indonesia

sumyunggai

So I read under the regulations you can apparently send a bottle of 350ml alcohol free of any import duties.

http://www.pbtaxand.com/assets/uploads/files/1537848280-112_PMK_04_2018.pdf

This is rather an unfortunate figure, as e.g., a half bottle of wine would be 375ml, which would be destroyed.

As far as I can tell, despite the recent change from $100 per package to $75 per day, there is no daily limit to alcohol, only a limit per shipment, so you could send multiple bottles of alcohol with value totalling not more than $75 in one day.

Why you think they made it 350ml they are not stupid!
Highly UNrecommended to try this method anyway

BTW the value is what THEY say, not you, plus plus tax 200% etc etc

BTW the value is what THEY say, not you, plus plus tax 200% etc etc

This is not accurate.

The relevant taxes are:

Bea Masuk (import duty) - 7.5% (not 200%) of total cost including insurance/shipping for goods $75-$1500 FOB
PPN - 10% on the sum of import duty + BM
PPH - 10% for those with income tax number (NPWP), 20% for those without, again total cost + BM.

Hence the tax rate is 39.75% for those with an NPWP, and 29% for those with one. However below $75 (excluding postage costs), you pay zero.

The value should be based on the consignment note, if there is not one, then they will estimate. If they don't believe the consignment note they will ask you to prove it.

This is not accurate.
The value should be based on the consignment note, if there is not one, then they will estimate. If they don't believe the consignment note they will ask you to prove it.

So you just basically confirmed what I said. Thanks. The value SHOULD but if there is not one, THEY will estimate.

And believe me, they know how much things should cost so they don't just go on you saying oh it was only $15

I was trying to think of the fancy word for it when you say something then your next sentence is the opposite of what you said. Damn I can't think, now gonna be up all night thinking of it! Starts with Re......
Redact? no.

contradict
thanks lol

Last edited:
Alcohol tax I was referring to the recent retail tax inside Indoland on alcohol sold in bars, clubs etc last year / this year when the prices were all increased 200%

So you just basically confirmed what I said. Thanks. The value SHOULD but if there is not one, THEY will estimate.

And believe me, they know how much things should cost so they don't just go on you saying oh it was only $15

I'm not really sure what point you are making here. I explained in the OP that you can send $75 worth of goods per day. At no point was I suggesting that you send $300 and declare $30 instead.

I've dealt with customs a few times: if you show them the receipt where you bought the item, then that's the price they use, not the retail price in Indonesia.

Alcohol tax I was referring to the recent retail tax inside Indoland on alcohol sold in bars, clubs etc last year / this year when the prices were all increased 200%

This is not true, lol.

Import duty on wine is 90%. On spirits 150% This changed from a rp/litre system in 2015.

Separately there is excise duty on alcohol, 13,000rp/litre up to 5%, 33,000rp/44,000rp up to 20% (local/import), then 80,000rp/litre/139,000 (local/import) above 20% alcohol.

Alcohol duty was increased to roughly its current levels in 2010, when the beer tax increased from 3500 rp/litre to 11000rp/litre, 30,000/40,000rp, and 75,000/130,000rp.

It's cheaper to buy local wine/spirits because of the import duty.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what point you are making here. I explained in the OP that you can send $75 worth of goods per day. At no point was I suggesting that you send $300 and declare $30 instead.

I've dealt with customs a few times: if you show them the receipt where you bought the item, then that's the price they use, not the retail price in Indonesia.

This is not true, lol.

Import duty on wine is 90%. On spirits 150% This changed from a rp/litre system in 2015.

Separately there is excise duty on alcohol, 13,000rp/litre up to 5%, 33,000rp/44,000rp up to 20% (local/import), then 80,000rp/litre/139,000 (local/import) above 20% alcohol.

Alcohol duty was increased to roughly its current levels in 2010, when the beer tax increased from 3500 rp/litre to 11000rp/litre, 30,000/40,000rp, and 75,000/130,000rp.

It's cheaper to buy local wine/spirits because of the import duty.

You also seem to be confused ?
Regarding the alcohol duty I am referring to INSIDE Indonesia, not for duty free passengers etc, I am talking for a commercial business, bar, club, restaurant etc, within the last 12 months the tax has increased 200% on various spirits (Int'l brands), I know because I am involved in several

And again regarding your comment about sending something worth $300 and saying it is worth only $30 I did not say that either, I said you CANNOT do that, because the customs know what these things are costing, they even google and search online, if you cannot provide the true receipt then THEY will give it a value (you yourself agree on that) and then you will also have to pay the taxes and import duty

Point is, just don't both trying to send 350ml of alcohol it is just not worth the hassle, plenty of genuine ways to get the real stuff here for roughly the same price it will cost you.

You also seem to be confused ?
Regarding the alcohol duty I am referring to INSIDE Indonesia, not for duty free passengers etc, I am talking for a commercial business, bar, club, restaurant etc, within the last 12 months the tax has increased 200% on various spirits (Int'l brands), I know because I am involved in several

What does the tax rate F&B businesses pay for selling alcohol have to do with the OP's very specific question about importing a 350ml bottle for personal use*? Maybe you're the one confused.

*spoiler: nothing. It was a rethorical question everyone knows the answer to.

What does the tax rate F&B businesses pay for selling alcohol have to do with the OP's very specific question about importing a 350ml bottle for personal use*? Maybe you're the one confused.

*spoiler: nothing. It was a rethorical question everyone knows the answer to.

It was linked to the amount of customs / duty / tax that is charged on alcohol imports, both civilian and commercial

So there was a link, however tenuous it might seem
Thanks for contributing though :)

So I read under the regulations you can apparently send a bottle of 350ml alcohol free of any import duties.

http://www.pbtaxand.com/assets/uploads/files/1537848280-112_PMK_04_2018.pdf

This is rather an unfortunate figure, as e.g., a half bottle of wine would be 375ml, which would be destroyed.

As far as I can tell, despite the recent change from $100 per package to $75 per day, there is no daily limit to alcohol, only a limit per shipment, so you could send multiple bottles of alcohol with value totalling not more than $75 in one day.

Very interesting, I read it the same way as you, it seems a 300ml of alcohol valued at $30 should arrive to you in the mail with no extra fees. I have seen many spirits and some wines in small (100ml?) bottles, a few of those could be combined to get close to the limit.

Of course the real difficulty is whether this regulation is actually being applied the way it is written.

Thanks for contributing though :)

Do you mean contributing by providing incorrect and irrelevant information that the OP had to correct while being falsely accused of contradicting himself? No thanks.

You usually give good advice but I think you missed the mark on this one.

I won't be dragged into another pointless argument. Just felt the need to restore some balance and say my piece. Let's move on.

@sumyunggai what kind of alcohol are you thinking of bringing in that comes in 300ml?

If you end up trying your method, please post back the results, it could be very useful.

@sumyunggai what kind of alcohol are you thinking of bringing in that comes in 300ml?

If you end up trying your method, please post back the results, it could be very useful.

350ml, not 300ml.

Something like this https://drive.carrefour.eu/fr/Apéri...Cordon-Rouge-35-cl/p/05378168?store_ref=D0615

but you could go for whisky or some other spirit if you preferred.

I think 350ml bottles are generally more expensive per/ml than 700ml/1l though

On some level I wonder about say getting a 1l botte of alcohol splitting into three bottles and posting them separately.

But on some level it's just nice to know that someone could potentially send me a 350ml bottle as a gift or whatever.

500-550K

But not sure about price in Vin+ or Vito Vino in Aeon

Last edited:
To those critisizing my tenuous links to Govt tax - it was in regards to how "much" tax you get charged if you try to import a bottle - over the limit of 1 at the airport they will just usually bin it, but I was referring to this option above where you are allowed to bring in a bottle 350ml but in case they charge it, what rate of tax do they use? Is it the same as bars and restaurants get charged when they order from their suppliers? Which is what increased in the last year almost 200% on spirits

Perhaps the point was missed when typed and not spoken, but we were informally just debating what % rate of tax you might be charged? If they decide your $30 Whisky is really a $300 bottle if you cannot provide receipts (or if you are pulling a fast one)

Since it was a hypothetical question, we will never know since I doubt anyone really is going to risk having a glass bottle of booze posted into Indonesia knowing full well it will either break or get "lost" or just cost a lot more with the hassle than just buying the same bottle inside Indonesia for a few $ more and saving the hassle

Time is money after all

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back