Possible new shipping route RI to EU.

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
I just saw the headline in Jakpost..."How important the Arctic is for Indonesia' and thought WHAT...the Arctic...must be a misprint...but NO.

The article goes on to say Arctic ice will melt sufficiently by summer 2020 that it can connect Europe and Asia, save 9-13 days on the trip and 40% of shipping costs.

This could be significant but, apparently, Indonesia hasn't even joined the committee (Arctic Council) to oversee how this new route can be sustained and possibly maintained.....even after Indonesia has been formally invited as an observer next year.

As the fourth largest nation by population I'd think this was a very important thing for RI to do and am writing to the Foreign Secretary.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to promote this information and bring attention?

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
I just saw the headline in Jakpost..."How important the Arctic is for Indonesia' and thought WHAT...the Arctic...must be a misprint...but NO.

The article goes on to say Arctic ice will melt sufficiently by summer 2020 that it can connect Europe and Asia, save 9-13 days on the trip and 40% of shipping costs.

This could be significant but, apparently, Indonesia hasn't even joined the committee (Arctic Council) to oversee how this new route can be sustained and possibly maintained.....even after Indonesia has been formally invited as an observer next year.

As the fourth largest nation by population I'd think this was a very important thing for RI to do and am writing to the Foreign Secretary.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to promote this information and bring attention?

Maybe the government should think about moving its offices to higher ground, as well.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
.Anyone have any other ideas on how to promote this information and bring attention?

Greenpeace?

Still, I don't see it; a straight line is always the shortest route, right? And planes between EU and RI/Singapore/KL will always go via the Middle East. The shipping via the Suez etc. should be rather short. Europe<->Hong Kong could be a different story of course (there the planes do go 'arctic').

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
Still, I don't see it; a straight line is always the shortest route, right? And planes between EU and RI/Singapore/KL will always go via the Middle East. The shipping via the Suez etc. should be rather short. Europe<->Hong Kong could be a different story of course (there the planes do go 'arctic').

Mixing aircraft and shipping routes can be confusing.

The shortest distance between two points on this planet is called the 'Great Circle Route'....and looks like an arc on a flat map. Due to wind direction and strength aircraft sometimes travel farther but take a shorter time.
The only other obstacle is certain countries overflight rights...i.e. I don't think any of those Asia to EU aircraft overfly N. Korea....nor Ukraine (since MH17).

Ships have to avoid obstacles like islands etc. and their route would have to be measured. They can also benefit from currents and adjust accordingly. Also, most shipping don't just go to one designated port...they usually transfer between ports as well. I'm sure that shipping companies measure all those parameters including time and cost thru' Suez, Panama etc.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Shipping via the Suez canal may be the shortest route, but these days its not the most economical; with fuel prices having gone down dramatically, traveling around Africa is less costly. Egyptian with its canal passage pricing policy has shot itself in the foot.

Daniel50

Yes, when I first read this I thought there are bigger problems then shipping, that need to be addressed. Shipping route through the arctic.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonel999