Photo Colorization

Here's a few more.
Makassar Lady
ohiNuX.jpg

Dyak
dQK3Zh.jpg

Urut
d8e2H0.jpg

I did quite a few b/w to color, 'virtual' make up, acne scar removal, old photo restoration, etc. for my wedding picture slides and album and a family picture album (not mine) project. Did various enhancements either with CS5 or CS6. Unfortunately, many are personal but I can attach a sample of 'virtual make-up' that I did using a celebrity picture.
kaya_scodelario.jpg

Kaya_Photoshop.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Banana. I did a lot of skin and feature work in my past life while either doing my own photography or helping out start up, with wishful thinking models who couldn't afford a pro editor to work on their non pro photos. Fun to do.

I'm quite impressed with this colourising, but one query how do you determine what colour and the shade, or do you use artistic licence, anyway they are very nice.

I'm quite impressed with this colourising, but one query how do you determine what colour and the shade, or do you use artistic licence, anyway they are very nice.
Location since there were primary colors for each area and I keep references on hand. Earth tones for Indonesia for sure. You start and after a while you get a feel for some things. Yeah, artistic licence goes hand in hand with everything else.

I recently came across these colorizations, most are extremely impressive: https://www.reddit.com/r/ColorizedHistory/
(reddit is blocked in Indo, need a VPN)

I searched there for Indonesia and a few related search terms, unfortunately no results.

Keep up the good work.

The Java Merchant. This was actually a drawing taken from a photograph at one time. This is a really busy background and took forever to do. Sometimes yo get a photo and find things you just don't know what they are. When that happens, any color will do sometimes. At times, once colored you suddenly figure out what it is. Slap to head and redo.
Ep80r6.jpg

Tell you what. Those of you that may have old photos that need fixing due to scratches, water spots, or what not, drop me a PM if you would like me to take a look and see what I can do. I have time. Those with Indonesian family's, I know they are crazy about photos ever since the first cell phone camera was introduced here but not so much for the older print type photos. If, for some chance some do have some old photos, any subject be it place, person, or thing and would like to see it in color, PM me.

One thing I can assure you is that any photo I receive will never be used by me for any purpose. If I ever wanted to, i would first receive permission from you. I'm still a believer in copyright laws of the world. They are your photographs, you own them. I have no rights what so ever to use them. I may ask if they could be posted here but again, that would be up to you.

There is no charge for this. It is something I like to do. I get paid by a few artiest in the US that are great with drawing but can't color what so ever. My opposites. I still have a few request for some paid reconstructions too. So, they will always come first. No worry, it doesn't take that long to do. So, PM me if I can help out. This is an exclusive offer for members of this site.

Dang. That last photo is nice. Perfect coloring. I like the potatoes, they look real (wonder if you dodged some of them it would create a bit more realistic shine effect), but yeah definitely lots of intricate work into it!

I also think the last one is excellent. It reminds me of some paintings I have seen in galleries here. I love market scenes. Really nice.

Some of these would look nice with just one item colorized. Like just the roosters comb, or the main subject.

Some of these would look nice with just one item colorized. Like just the roosters comb, or the main subject.

I agree. Sometimes just having the main focus colored makes it pop out at you.

Dang. That last photo is nice. Perfect coloring. I like the potatoes, they look real (wonder if you dodged some of them it would create a bit more realistic shine effect), but yeah definitely lots of intricate work into it!

Dodging would add more shine in places. Any particular area/s you feel more is needed. The Cassava are not as shiny as a potato would be if clean and I think we all know how much cleaning goes into market produce.

I also think the last one is excellent. It reminds me of some paintings I have seen in galleries here. I love market scenes. Really nice.

Thanks Hap, before I even start any of these I have to work with sizes. I sometimes have to take what would normally be a 4X6 sized photo and blow it up to at least a 16X20 incase I ever want to print it. Of course, after blowing it up, then comes the fun part of cleaning up any distortion and in some cases redrawing the lines for drawings and sharpening photos. I in most cases end up with a high res photo so if I ever find a printer here that could do what I want, I have the files ready. Anything I post here is a low res copy.

Thanks Hap, before I even start any of these I have to work with sizes. I sometimes have to take what would normally be a 4X6 sized photo and blow it up to at least a 16X20 incase I ever want to print it. Of course, after blowing it up, then comes the fun part of cleaning up any distortion and in some cases redrawing the lines for drawings and sharpening photos. I in most cases end up with a high res photo so if I ever find a printer here that could do what I want, I have the files ready. Anything I post here is a low res copy.
You mentioned taking photos of drawings before, and poor quality scans. We have a bog standard scanner that I'm sure couldn't produce results anywhere near what you are getting. With that in mind, I was thinking that if the wife wanted to do this, she'd probably have to take a photo of the photo, and work from there. To get to the point, do you think an SLR would get a better result than a good scanner? Where would you even go to get something scanned, a photo printing place?

You mentioned taking photos of drawings before, and poor quality scans. We have a bog standard scanner that I'm sure couldn't produce results anywhere near what you are getting. With that in mind, I was thinking that if the wife wanted to do this, she'd probably have to take a photo of the photo, and work from there. To get to the point, do you think an SLR would get a better result than a good scanner? Where would you even go to get something scanned, a photo printing place?
Photo studios have been taking pictures of photos for years. That is what they needed to do when there was no negative. It works fine but the important thing will be the lighting. Often times glare is produced and you do not want a bright, burnt out section. Use a well lit area with no direct sunlight. Do not use a flash. Make sure you are squared up to the photo. Make sure you focus tightly. Tripods at one time had a screw on the bottom. This was to mount your camera there so you could copy with it.

Scanning is easier. When scanning, adjust to a high DPI. I scan between 250 and 300. Yes, you get a gigantic file but it is a lot easier making it smaller if need be then enlarging it later. No matter what, make sure and I mean make sure your scanner is free of dust and the same for the photo. It can take close to a lifetime trying to remover dust spots from your copy if you don't watch this. You would probably need to find a larger office store/print center. I know there are some opening up in Indonesia now but I can't remember their name. Or, invest in a scanner if this is something you plan on doing often. A three in one printer comes in really handy and the later models do a very nice job with prints. I recommend the Epson L360 for home and small office. Has external ink tanks and ink is cheap. I have been using Epson for many many years. Most printers will give you very good prints up to 8X10s. Bigger then that requires bigger printers. Up to 11X14 prints, 6 to 7 juta. Bigger, 10s of Juta. Poster on any paper media and canvas, 60 juta. Or, Fuji centers are pretty inexpensive actually and can do any size you like. Just not what I would like printed as far as I know because I'm not certain I want to ask them.

The president has a display of Indonesian art on display this month open to the public. If I went there I would be shooting all the art on the walls. Yeah, I cheat that way. You'll never own them any other way.

Hope that answered your question.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back