Photo Colorization

Yeah, I don't get that...

I told my son before he visited Jakarta pavements were few, so he was quite surprised that more pedestrians weren't knocked down, as people walk with their backs to the traffic,were as I being a stupid Brit walk facing the on coming traffic, couple of times on walking On what I consider the right side been told I'm wrong,weird, at least I would like to see and try to avoid what is going to hit me

....since in our case we are being taught in elementary school: If there is a trottoir, walk with the traffic. If there is no sidewalk, walk against traffic. So you can dive away the moment you see something coming at you.

Over here it seems they hear (and act) otherwise.

Pasar Baru 1930

Pasar_Baru_1930.jpg
That lady in the pink dress looks like a Zombie.

the body language on the guy walking toward her looks to contain a little apprehension & the tall dude with the knees walking behind her could be stalking & seems to be looking at the apprehensive looking guy. ...every picture tells a story

You must love those high stockings. And in sandals. Mmmm.

Reviving an old thread because I stumbled upon this tool: https://palette.fm/

It uses artificial intelligence to colourize black and white photos. I tried with a random photo I found and I am very impressed with the results.

Original:

245470973_1207429409741438_3887201840564882674_n.jpg

Colourized by AI:

OinBW_please_credit[palette.fm].jpg

This literally took seconds!

As an enthusiast in the field @fastpitch17, I was curious what you thought of it and if the AI work was accurate.

Reviving an old thread because I stumbled upon this tool: https://palette.fm/

It uses artificial intelligence to colourize black and white photos. I tried with a random photo I found and I am very impressed with the results.

Original:

View attachment 2596

Colourized by AI:

View attachment 2598

This literally took seconds!

As an enthusiast in the field @fastpitch17, I was curious what you thought of it and if the AI work was accurate.
Palette has been working and honing with their AI involving colorization for a good 6 to 7 years now. They keep improving every year. For anyone who wants a colorized version if a black and white photo, they are tops. For me, I do not use simply because they take my fun and the personal input out of it. I never simply colorize. There is a need for restoration in all old photos and that goes hand in hand.

I used to play with Photoshop quite a bit when I did my pre-wed/wedding album and I think for a non-professional, I was pretty decent. It's amazing though now with AI technology, new softwares, apps (like Remini, etc) what took me minutes or even hours (perfectionist that I was), now probably took a few clicks and just a little patience in less than a couple minutes. Unless a client needs something with more personal touch (like fastpitch's argument above) many people are satisfied with pretty good/standard results from (maybe) free apps.

Same with 3D interior, took me hours (plus rendering) to come up with a decent (non-professional) quality rendering of a complete livingroom, but this was back in 2014 (tried to get into interior design business)....but as I look into what people produce lately, it's just ridiculously near-photo results with maybe about the same amount of work or maybe less (more powerful cpu, graphic cards etc)

I used to play with Photoshop quite a bit when I did my pre-wed/wedding album and I think for a non-professional, I was pretty decent. It's amazing though now with AI technology, new softwares, apps (like Remini, etc) what took me minutes or even hours (perfectionist that I was), now probably took a few clicks and just a little patience in less than a couple minutes. Unless a client needs something with more personal touch (like fastpitch's argument above) many people are satisfied with pretty good/standard results from (maybe) free apps.

Same with 3D interior, took me hours (plus rendering) to come up with a decent (non-professional) quality rendering of a complete livingroom, but this was back in 2014 (tried to get into interior design business)....but as I look into what people produce lately, it's just ridiculously near-photo results with maybe about the same amount of work or maybe less (more powerful cpu, graphic cards etc)
Yeah, that profectionist part. I still do some post work for a couple photographers in the US. Now a days there are so called filters and apps that you just click on to do some particular type of work. I had aways took a lot of pride in my skin work for the benefit of whoever is the model. There were a lot of steps to isolate an area, do the work needed, go on to the next area and repeat until completed work. Then, make sure all the areas match. Could take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour for each photo. Today, I still do the same. Step by step, minute by minute. I still refuse to use apps that claim to do the work for me. Really, what satisfaction can one get by letting something else do your work?

I see these smoothing/beauty apps used in social media post and I can pick them out every time. Last time I checked, skin had pores. I get to a point sometimes my work can lose the pores so I put them back in. Click on a beauty app and it adjust the entire photo so that counter or that dildo you forgot to move are now all adjusted the same as the subject.

I would rather take my time and do it right. These are professional photographs so I believe the need professional care. While there certainly are professional and costly addons to Lightroom and Photoshop that many who do post work use and they are not bad, I would still chose my way over them. Photographers are paying me. They demand perfection so that is what I have to deliver.

As for coloring with AI, great for that snapshot you found in the attic. AI continues to have the same problem with coloring as it always has. Getting better but not their yet. The coloring bleeds into each other and especially the edges of each item in the photograph. Even with AI I would need to go in and redefine the edges and remove the bleeds and match the intended colors. Plus, it's much more educational to actually reseach what original colors may have been prior to color film. Checking museums and collections to get ideas lets me match original colors. The filters in AI do not always guess right. Plus, old BW photos have rips, scratches, creases, missed corners, water marks, and so on. AI colors the photos but all the physical problems are still there.

Yeah, that profectionist part. I still do some post work for a couple photographers in the US. Now a days there are so called filters and apps that you just click on to do some particular type of work. I had aways took a lot of pride in my skin work for the benefit of whoever is the model. There were a lot of steps to isolate an area, do the work needed, go on to the next area and repeat until completed work. Then, make sure all the areas match. Could take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour for each photo. Today, I still do the same. Step by step, minute by minute. I still refuse to use apps that claim to do the work for me. Really, what satisfaction can one get by letting something else do your work?

I see these smoothing/beauty apps used in social media post and I can pick them out every time. Last time I checked, skin had pores. I get to a point sometimes my work can lose the pores so I put them back in. Click on a beauty app and it adjust the entire photo so that counter or that dildo you forgot to move are now all adjusted the same as the subject.

I would rather take my time and do it right. These are professional photographs so I believe the need professional care. While there certainly are professional and costly addons to Lightroom and Photoshop that many who do post work use and they are not bad, I would still chose my way over them. Photographers are paying me. They demand perfection so that is what I have to deliver.

As for coloring with AI, great for that snapshot you found in the attic. AI continues to have the same problem with coloring as it always has. Getting better but not their yet. The coloring bleeds into each other and especially the edges of each item in the photograph. Even with AI I would need to go in and redefine the edges and remove the bleeds and match the intended colors. Plus, it's much more educational to actually reseach what original colors may have been prior to color film. Checking museums and collections to get ideas lets me match original colors. The filters in AI do not always guess right. Plus, old BW photos have rips, scratches, creases, missed corners, water marks, and so on. AI colors the photos but all the physical problems are still there.
yep i don't like the cell phone skin smoothing feature. Makes me look like I'm unnaturally 20 years younger...of course not in a good way. Same like you i still do the skin touch up manually....combination of various things (with just a bit of frequency separation to do the overall smoothness and I adjust and unmask as needed etc you know the drill..)

I do have a pic that I took with some friends...didn't check it when the polite, but in a hurry mbak server took it and left. from a far it's decent but it's blurry. I'm sure it can be improved a bit...mind helping me? lol

I do have a pic that I took with some friends...didn't check it when the polite, but in a hurry mbak server took it and left. from a far it's decent but it's blurry. I'm sure it can be improved a bit...mind helping me? lol
Blurry sometimes can be fixed with some sharpening. If you like, I will take a look at it. Check your messages.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819