Passport application REFUSED

ww46

Hi everyone, newly registered to this forum but i have been looking at it for a while.

Has anyone had experience of an Indonesian being refused a passport?

My friend (Indonesian, Lombok) has spent the past few days trying to apply for a passport in Mataram.
Today she was told it had been Refused.
It doesn't sound right or fair to me as all her documents were in order the reasons given to her were ridiculous. The immigration officer told her that they are worried she would be taken in another country and trafficked!
This seems absurd to me that they can refuse a passport application like this.

My question is what to do next? She's already been told she can't have her file back for at least 30 days!

Thank you for any help in advance

jstar

Mr. 10,000
For us this might be very weird and even a violation of human rights, but it's quite a common phenomenon here. People applying for a passport also are (semi) interviewed and if there is an impression the person wants to work abroad without going through the official channels, or might not want to return, it is refused*.

I think the only thing one can do, is to have a rather detailed itinerary of the planned trip upfront. Including hotels, contact persons, friends abroad where they will stay, .... And even then there's no guarantee. I've seen nobody ever getting legal assistance.

*Of course it's a mix of protecting the Indonesian subject and expecting trouble for a KBRI. In the cases that I saw refused, they all stated it was for a 'vacation'.

Last edited:

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Her only recourse is to file a lawsuit with the PTUN (State Administrative Court). If the PTUN finds that the denial is unwarranted and done outside the correct procedure, they can order Imigrasi to issue her passport.

dafluff

Cager
Passport refusal is actually quite common for certain profiles. If immigration suspects either human trafficking or illegal working they can refuse passport.

The profiles that often cause suspicion: young women, unemployed/marginally employed, no tangible assets in Indonesia, no clear destination/itinerary.

Typically they will let you the applicant know if there are other supporting documents that can be submitted. Otherwise the applicant can try again after a few months, keeping in mind that unless the profile has changed, there is a good chance they will be refused again.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
She can bring the case to the kantor Wilayah, well before even thinking about a lawsuit to PTUN.

If she is in Mataram then this is the Kantor Wilayah NTB which is in charge. She has to look for the Divisi Keimigrasian Subbidang lalu Lintas Keimigrasian. She should go there and explain why she feels the decision is unfair.

Kanwil is in charge of supervising Kantor Imigrasi and the fact that they correctly apply the law. They don't like to go against the Kantor Imigrasi and may try to find excuses not to, but if your friend is assertive enough, she may get her point heard. Let me explain you why.

One thing is interesting in what you posted. it's this:

It doesn't sound right or fair to me as all her documents were in order the reasons given to her were ridiculous. The immigration officer told her that they are worried she would be taken in another country and trafficked!
(...)
My question is what to do next? She's already been told she can't have her file back for at least 30 days!
The "30 days" bit makes me think that she may get her point heard and that the excuses KanIm gave won't stand scrutinity by the KanWil.
First, it is a urban legend to say that Imigrasi can refuse a passport because they think that human trafficking may be at play. If they can prove it, then they can refuse the issuance of a passport.

Thinking is not enough and they have absolutely no right to deny a passport because they think whatever.

They fully know it and this is why they haven't issued a surat penolokan which would be the correct procedure. They just express their refusal verbally and they are smart telling your friend that she can't get her file back before 30 days. Reason is simple:

When one applies for a passport, one has 30 (thirty) days to bring all documents, do the interview, . give his/her fingerprints and get his/her picture taken, pay the fee...etc. If one doesn't complete the procedure in 30 days then the application is automatically rejected.

Now, if Imigrasi would have a serious and LEGAL reason to refuse the passport, they would have issued straight away a surat penolakan and they would have had 1 day (not 30) to give back all documents to the applicant.

Imigrasi gives this excuse of 30 days so that the application get automatically rejected and that they do not have to give any LEGAL reason, something they obviously don't have. At the end of the 30 days they will issue internally a BAP, stating that the applicant didn't bring/didn't have all documents and no-one will ask any further question to them.

This is why I tell you that your friend may get her point across IF she is confident and assertive. Obviously not an easy task for an Indonesian girl, probably young, since it means standing against authority but if she wants her rights respected, she has good chance to have a positive result. She will need your support.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Not to always be the negative one here, but I think we all know what’s (not) gonna happen.

Feeling intimidated, fear of uniforms, an angst for perceived power and authority, you name it.

Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’ve seen it (too) many times.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Not to always be the negative one here, but I think we all know what’s (not) gonna happen.

Feeling intimidated, fear of uniforms, an angst for perceived power and authority, you name it.

Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’ve seen it (too) many times.
We all know? Personally, I have no such strong opinion. I don't know the OP's friend. :D

ww46

Thank you so much for the help so far.
Atlantis, what you have told me gives me a bit of hope and a few things to try! So thank you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hxtan