Overstayed

Sorry haven't updated in awhile.

We were able to get that passport for my son luckily pretty easy. My wife just went in a couple weeks later and they had it ready right at the front desk, and they didn't ask any questions regarding me.

So since then I applied them for a visitor visa and thats in the midst of the prosess. Once we get that, hopeully we can look to going to Canada together.

Now i'm just wondering exactly whats going to happen at the airport when we go. Like what are some of the worst things that can happen? What documents will I need to have? Will they allow us to go to Canada together? Those kinds of things are just running through my mind and hoping that when the time comes i'll be fully prepared...

Someone on the other forum recently went through a similar 'ordeal'. Atlantis' and Wombat's advice was don't panic, have lots of time spare, don't pay any money you haven't committed a crime. (unless you were working while overstaying on no visa) ...

Sorry haven't updated in awhile.

We were able to get that passport for my son luckily pretty easy. My wife just went in a couple weeks later and they had it ready right at the front desk, and they didn't ask any questions regarding me.

So since then I applied them for a visitor visa and thats in the midst of the prosess. Once we get that, hopeully we can look to going to Canada together.

Now i'm just wondering exactly whats going to happen at the airport when we go. Like what are some of the worst things that can happen? What documents will I need to have? Will they allow us to go to Canada together? Those kinds of things are just running through my mind and hoping that when the time comes i'll be fully prepared...

I took a quick look on this thread and if am not mistaken,you don't have proper documents since Feb '16 up to this date thats more or less 11 months. I surmised that your wife and kid are okey amd can live the country (gettng through Canadian immigration is another story) but you are in tight fix here. I suggest you get a lawyer or consult your embassy. 2nd option is get an agent to fix it. Fixing is not gratis of course, because have already accumulated at about 99juta for the 11months passed. You can only bargain for a summarized discount.
My closest experience of this is having one(1) day over stay and they saw it on the computer and they ask me to be in the office (few meters away) and.asked me to pay. I paid exactly but am dissapointed due to the erroneous date calculation I had. I don't know how would you react being pinned down for that huge of money immediately or would you let your Family leave without you. Sounds scary, but yes so far your only possible crime is over staying and likely the least you can be meted is few years of being persona-non-grata plus payment but banisment wouldnt be forever. If you dont have the money at the airport the most you can do is call your embassy. Please do it before you go to the airport. Huggling at the airport with the color of your skin is an easy picking for the wolves out there.

Oh, i made another look and its Feb 2015! Do the Math and ask yourself how deep did you dug a hole of yourself man. Say some prayer and just maintain you dont have the money. Your embassy is your last card.

Am no lawyer but what I knew is less than two months is only a matter of fines, morethan that is another matter so thats why your embassy should comes in, they would likely ask the head of immigration to waived the humungous amount you owe them.

Hmmm..ohshoots the Post was dated October 19, 2016... Based on google more than a month of stay has a max of 25juta plus 5years in jail. I hope the embassy intervened, Oceana88 cant leave without paying it was An ill advise that he did not work ( had he worked it will be an additional crime) anyway and should not panic. If some will have the same quagmire, get a doctor and proved you are physically incapicitated to travel other than that a certificate from a known terrorist might do the trick (pun intended).

Saigon, some of what you are saying is not consistent with the information in this thread here. I don't think there is fine after a certain period, and there is no jail time - just deportation and blacklisting.

Hmmm..ohshoots the Post was dated October 19, 2016... Based on google more than a month of stay has a max of 25juta plus 5years in jail. I hope the embassy intervened, Oceana88 cant leave without paying it was An ill advise that he did not work ( had he worked it will be an additional crime) anyway and should not panic. If some will have the same quagmire, get a doctor and proved you are physically incapicitated to travel other than that a certificate from a known terrorist might do the trick (pun intended).

We have an article and a forum post on the overstay issue, which in my opinion is contains the most accurate information currently available anywhere in the world regarding overstaying in Indonesia. Specifically with your speculation of jail time and fines, I quote for you from the article: "As can be seen from the law itself, a simple overstay is an administrative matter. It does not involve courts or jail time. In the case of more than 60 day overstay, the only applicable penalty is Deportation and Blacklisting. There is no fine."

As this is the law forum, accurate information is very important. Please refrain from random speculation if you do not have any concrete information on this issue. Thank you.

thanks for the correction I just made a google ( as seen on my post) base also on Jakarta scenario though its quite old of 4 yrs ago... was thinking its a better version since its beyond 6 months and by any means quite a heavy fine, already. I just can;t connect now that the first 60 days have fine and beyond 6 months is free?

Last edited:
This is the best sight for legal info, if they don't know they know a man who does

Hello. Very sorry to not post for awhile.

Im still here because back in Oct my wife got refused for her temporary stay visa. I guess the right way to do it would have to be to sponsor her and my son, but to do that I would need to be in Canada and working ( which im not).

I know now the obvious solution would be to go back alone but I just havent mostly due to the fact that im scared i wont see my wife and son for a very long time, and because my wife is now 6 months pregnant with our second child, which I plan to be here when she goes in labour.

So thats why im still here. :)

One love

I can understand that. All the best and congratulations on the upcoming birth...

Hello. Very sorry to not post for awhile.

Im still here because back in Oct my wife got refused for her temporary stay visa. I guess the right way to do it would have to be to sponsor her and my son, but to do that I would need to be in Canada and working ( which im not).

I know now the obvious solution would be to go back alone but I just havent mostly due to the fact that im scared i wont see my wife and son for a very long time, and because my wife is now 6 months pregnant with our second child, which I plan to be here when she goes in labour.

So thats why im still here. :)

One love

I'm from Québec, with the advantage of not having to have to prove financial support... which I didn't now when I decide to move to Canada.

Believing I need to, here is what I have done:
Move to Canada with my (Indonesian) wife on tourist visa. The 2 kids NEED to have their CCC (Canadian Certificate of Citizenship) and their CANADIAN passport. - they required both being done in person at Jakarta embassy. - I got a favor for the passport as I was living far of Jakarta.
I don't know at which point you can ask for have both made in the same time.

After your wife arrive in Canada you have a window of 5 month for find a job and send your application - the application MUST be send 1 month before the end of her tourist visa that's why it 5 and not 6.

If you still don't have find a job, you can apply for her tourist extension for another 6 month. Same rule, you need to send the application 1 month before the visa end.

Visit the website of CIC and be sure to have all the paper at hand and translated before leaving Indonesia.
Be sure to leave indonesia with the police report (SKKB) -for attest she don't have criminal record. Seriously, I need to use the tourist extension only because of this f**king paper as it's hell to have it when you are outside of Indonesia.

In the beginning of this year they change the rule, you don't need to have it at hand when applying... But I would not play my luck on this!

note: the price of translating in canada is insane, get everything translated in Indonesia.

I am sorry if i need to ask quistion i top of question,my bf got deported becouse of overstay,what must i do to bring him back to indonesia?thank you in advance

I am sorry if i need to ask quistion i top of question,my bf got deported becouse of overstay,what must i do to bring him back to indonesia?thank you in advance
Hi Astari,
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear for your boyfriend.
In order for anyone to answer you or advise you correctly, we need to know a bit more information such as how long was he overstaying, did he pay a fine, what were the reasons for the overstay, how was the global attitude of the Imigrasi, did they blacklist him on top of the deportation order...etc?

In the meantime, please read our articles on the relevant topics here:
https://www.expatindo.org/overstaying-your-visa-in-indonesia/
https://www.expatindo.org/blacklisted-indonesia/

Hello Everyone

So I’m back in Canada now! I was blacklisted and deported. I must say that for each individual case, the procedure will be different. For example

1. Reasons for overstay? My case was I have a family to take care of and leaving them was hard, apart from the fact no money to leave.

2. Are you married legally?

3. Did you work? This is important, if you admit to working during overstay, they will detain you in the basement of immigration office, until a fine is paid, as was the case for two brothers whom I met there and they only overstayed for 45 days.

As for me I made it harder on myself then need be. See, I read up on overstay, and I thought that going to the airport in Bali with ticket in hand was the way to do it. Unfortunately it’s not. I was told by immigration officials in Bali airport that I must report to immigration office in Jimbaran, Bali, and that it was a Sunday so earliest I could go was next morning. This meant that all my tickets had to be cancelled or postponed which ended up costing a lot of money. But I was surprised that they let me go back to hotel. No detention, no arrest, they didn’t even ask to keep my information. So I want to make clear for everyone: Don’t buy your tickets before reporting yourself in, because you don’t know how long the process will take. In my case after going back to Jimbaran office on Monday morning, it took 4 days for them to process everything. The good thing was throughout the process, I was free to go back to my hotel at noon, they only held on to my passports, other than that I could’ve gone partying in Kuta if I wanted to while waiting for my departure! hahaha.

So for anyone who is in a similar position; overstayed around 3 years, with legal family in Indonesia without working, don’t worry too much as you will not be treated as criminal. As long as you are well mannered, polite, and so on. You will be treated freely to go about your business while the process is sorted out. Just let them know you can buy a ticket as soon as they give you the go.

It also helped that my wife and baby daughter were there with me, which gave the officials a bit more empathy. It also helped because the immigration officials are not too adept in English language, so my wife was mostly speaking to them. They do have translators if need be though.

In conclusion, I’m writing this with the hope that it will be for the benefit and knowledge of anyone who is curious about the subject. If anyone has any further questions about my experience, feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

And yet for a couple hundred dollars every 60 days you could have saved yourself all that pain and heartache.
So what happens now with your family?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats