Overseas Money

Daniel50

Hello everyone. I am bringing some money to Indonesia. I have not been here for 6 months yet. I will get a NPWP at the end of November. I do not owe anything at the country of origin. Is there any way they can try to tax me in Indonesia? The money is from the sale of a property overseas and is/was not connected to Indonesia in any way. I am not an Indonesian citizen but I do have an Indonesian spouse. The bank person didn't know but thinks it should be no problem. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Since you have not been in Indonesia for 183 days out of 1 year, you are not subject to any income taxes in Indonesia. After you have your NPWP, you should declare your assets (money in Indonesian accounts/house/car etc) in Indonesia with your tax return the following year. If the assets stem from income abroad prior to becoming Indonesian tax resident, then there are still no taxes, as this is not taxable income.

Since you have not been in Indonesia for 183 days out of 1 year, you are not subject to any income taxes in Indonesia. After you have your NPWP, you should declare your assets (money in Indonesian accounts/house/car etc) in Indonesia with your tax return the following year. If the assets stem from income abroad prior to becoming Indonesian tax resident, then there are still no taxes, as this is not taxable income.

Okay thanks. This is what I thought but sometimes what one thinks and tax realities can be different.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back