Optician in South Jakarta (english speaking)

ukcouple

Charter Member
Cager
Does anyone know a good english speaking optician in Jakarta.?

A friend of ours, visiting from the UK and first time in Indonesia, stumbled while crossing the road in Blok M.

He wasn't injured but his glasses went flying and were promptly run over and crushed by a Go-Jek moto.

He is as blind as a bat without his specs, and needs an eye test and new pair asap.

He knows no Indonesian so English speaking is a must.

Anyone...?

I don't see any problem with entering an Optik Melawai or Seis. There will always be people working there that are able to communicate (even in semi-English), and if he shows his glasses they will pick it up right away. Those people are not nitwits.

I don't see any problem with entering an Optik Melawai or Seis. There will always be people working there that are able to communicate (even in semi-English), and if he shows his glasses they will pick it up right away. Those people are not nitwits.

Certainly not nitwits, but his old pair of glasses is smashed so he is in need of an eye test.

I would hope for a decent command of english to be sure of getting it done right especially given the price of glasses (bi-focal etc.)

Probrably a Kenang Branch would be his best bet.

I've had many spectacles made in Optik Melawai in Jakarta and Bali. It always has some English speaking staff who are trained in eye testing. Optik Melawai is located in just about every Dept store like PIM; Senayan City/Plaza and many others. I'm sure all the other optik stores inside Dept. stores are the same.
The process is they check your eyes with a special machine and determine your optical requirement. You then specify if you want ordinary, bi-focal or progressive lens. You can also ask for anti-glare coating and if you want them to go dark like sunglasses (forgot the technical name). You then select your frames and the type/shape of the lens to fit the frame.
All those choices are personal and have different prices.
Those details go to a central factory so ask for speedy service...maybe can be done in a couple of days.

The only problem I have found is getting frames to to fit my wallet, some frames can be very expensive, but all the big opticians have a huge selection of frames with a wide range of prices to suit

Another vote for Optik Melawai. I got glasses from them for years without difficulty (despite having an almost comically strong prescription) - and for less than I would pay in the US.

Bifocals can be trickier, though. Recently my husband got bifocals at OM, and he wasn't that happy with the results. He ended up getting a new pair during a trip to the US which he is much happier with.

Unless bifocals are absolutely essential, I'd probably just go for distance glasses and take them off to read, then let a trusted optometrist in my home country do the expensive bifocal replacement.

Try tri-focals. Almost afraid to have them checked.

Try tri-focals. Almost afraid to have them checked.

I tried Trifocals once, I just couldn't get the hang of them, ok while you are driving and looking straight ahead, but looking over your shoulder is almost impossible unless you can screw your head all around, definitely for me no good for driving

I suggest getting eye test in Jakarta Eye Center first. They have two branches. You will get a better eye test.

Then go to any of the big Opik shops to get the glasses. Will take about 5 days.

My mate.. (the one who tripped on a pothole and smashed his glasses) went to Optik Melawai in Kemang Village this morning and got his eyes tested and a new pair of frames.

I think he said he paid 9 juta. Is that expensive.?

Mind you, the prescription is tricky. He has moderate astigmatism and he wants bi-focal and photo-chromatic lenses. They talked him into buying some flashy expensive frames like they always do.

He will go back on Friday to get them fitted.

Glasses here are cheaper than in Europe. Esp. the designer stuff as Tom Ford etc. Only HK is still cheaper.

My mate.. (the one who tripped on a pothole and smashed his glasses) went to Optik Melawai in Kemang Village this morning and got his eyes tested and a new pair of frames.

I think he said he paid 9 juta. Is that expensive.?

Mind you, the prescription is tricky. He has moderate astigmatism and he wants bi-focal and photo-chromatic lenses. They talked him into buying some flashy expensive frames like they always do.

He will go back on Friday to get them fitted.
I bet you more than half of that $670 went to the fancy frame. I find that the lenses are cheaper in Indonesia, but frames cost considerably less in USA.

I bet you more than half of that $670 went to the fancy frame. I find that the lenses are cheaper in Indonesia, but frames cost considerably less in USA.

I was going to dispute because I know, in Canada, these frames would cost twice as much...then I saw this advert and now have to agree with Nimbus....https://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Silhouette_Rimless-tdrbqe/r.html

I've used those Silhouette frames for years...still keep two. One broke due to me stepping on them so they aren't indestructable...but almost.
I rotate the lens every few years when my old eyes need an adjusted strength for reading and keep the last used as a spare. I use progressive/transition lens with anti-glare. They cost about 4-5 juta from Optik Melawai.
The photochrome that produces the 'transition' changes over about 4-5 years and I can see the crystals when viewed under a strong light...it still works, it's just that it makes the lens look funny close up...when that happens it's usually time to change the lens anyway.

I originally bought a cheap set from a store in Tanah Abang...(probably fake) they'd swopped the lenses left to right...think they'd fix it....nope!
I tried using them upside down but people thought I looked funny and they kept slipping down my nose...when I :frown: and :wave:

Optician Optik melawai in cilandak transmart can speak english very well bcs its my friend, he's good at english speaking and expert in his job try him if u want

Goodness me, this thread is nearly a year old, if the bloke hasn’t bought his specs by now he probably gone blind

Come on guys softlen is new here and trying to sell us something...can't we can try harder to dissuade.....:bounce:

Late info here. KLM is a very comprehensive optical group. They do eye surgery, eye check ups, eye care, contact lens, and glasses. They have 3 locations in jakarta that I know of and other locations in jakara (yes in Bali too).
I had no trouble with speaking in English.
My father is a eye doctor in the states so I have a little knowledge in this area.

Oh they aren' cheap but far from expensive. If it' only about money you might want to get exam there and then take presction to a storefront optical place.

to the best of my knowledge all doctors/ dentists /opticians should have a decent command of English becausea decent English score is a requirement for them to enter their chosen degree at university.

& anglian, I don't think a thread such as this one matters how old it it- I think it is good to keep it up to date. Advice from here is useful to many people not just the OP.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back