Opinions on Hi-Scope schools

I never said Jakarta, I said Indonesia.
You said, "Over the past five years, there were over 130 student deaths from more than 800 brawls just in and around Jakarta." That was the information I found difficult to believe.

You said, "Over the past five years, there were over 130 student deaths from more than 800 brawls just in and around Jakarta." That was the information I found difficult to believe.

I quoted, I have provided the source. I do not know how accurate their sources are however.

That is so amazing. Even a tante of my wife is convinced she was victim of such a hypnotism. Money missing from the account and she realized later she even took the guys home?! :crazy:

Isn't usually the other way round?

Btw, on the National+ schools: We have some friends having their kids go to miscellaneous schools in Kelapa Gading and Pulomas (e.g. Jakarta Taipei and Global Sevilla).

The parents and kids are/were quite happy with their school. But when I hear(d) them talk, most of them speak/spoke this weird Singlish (so the kind of English you hear in Singapore). NJIS was better btw. And according to she-who-knows-everything, those from the Taipei School speak a weird Bahasa.

Not so sure what the consequences will be.

We've got the same sort of rough housery going on in the states. Nearly every school where there is a disparity in income levels you'll have fights, robberies, or ATM hypnotisms, lol.

Seriously though, the violence in U.S. schools is probably worse than what's in Indonesia. It's escalated in the last few years and it's not just the shootings. Those make the news. The rest of it does not.

I don't recall a "recent years escalation of violence at American schools" conclusion of any authoritative study. "US schools" is all inclusive: are we talking on average, or across the board for all settings urban, suburban, and rural, elementary through universities? Or are we talking your impression from personal experience, generalized to the broad category?

It's all the minor incidents. The schoolyard fights etc that generally don't get reported. My older boys still here tell me they've seen it increase over the years. I've got 6 kids from 5 on up. The oldest being 32 but he doesn't count anymore. The other 3 have been out for a few years but I recall what they told me before about the number of fights going up. Of course, some of that is directly tied to idiots (kids who flash expensive things) getting their butts kicked.

Both our kids have attended high scope in Bali for a good few years now.
They are a good school to be honest and I have a pretty good relationship with the boys teachers and the headmistress is a personal friend.

They paint themselves as a very progressive school and in some ways they are but they still struggle to adequately handle issues of bullying and religious education is the usual brainwashing bullshit. I have confronted the school on both issues.

The boys eventually realised that as twins they hold the advantage and the pair of them gave the bully a good hiding. My wife had also confronted the school a number of times on the issue and when the call came she pointed out that she had already pointed out that their limp wristed "problem solving sessions" they do with the kids was a waste of time and if they had grown some balls and dealt with it like responsible adults in charge of a school then it wouldn't have resulted in a smashed laptop and a broken nose.

As for the religion shit I have argued the case that I want my boys to learn a bit about Christianity and Hinduism (we do live in Bali FFS) but they flatly refuse even as an extracurricular lesson because as muslims they can only learn about Islam.
The boys are 13 now and we discuss things on the subject, my kids soak this up and now challenge the RE teacher who doesn't answer their questions and wont engage in any debate - so its the usual brainwashing "accept what I say mentality"

Apart from that generally we are very happy with the school and its curriculum. The homework regime can be a bit heavy. But the lessons are interesting and the kids seem to enjoy school. The snobbery aspect of the parents isn't an issue in Bali and I'm pleased that my kids transcend all the economic spectrums of their school friends without issue or prejudice.
I'd have to agree with the religious brainwashing at Highscope (Jakarta). Very disappointing. Apart from that and the highly polluted location it was OK for the brief time we sent ours there. Actually he is registered as Islam but did Christian classes instead which they were fine with. And the brainwashing in the Christian classes was just as bad!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back