Online Shopping from Overseas

Ruserious

I've recently started to try out Aliexpress. Bought some items and not delivered yet but so far so good. I remember some threads before mentioning the amount for duty free (ie below $XX is duty free) but i searched and couldnt find it. Does anyone know the amount? I can try to split shipments to stay below the amount.

Amazon seem to have things worked out with duty already calculated into the amount. I have received the items i bought from there (electronic items around $60) without extra duty or hassle but the shipping amount is definitely much higher than aliexpress so im trying that out now.

Anyone use any other sites which they found usefull?

I think the free duty has changed in the last year. I think it used to be $50 (including shipping), but is now higher. Some products like OTC drugs or vitamins might not get a free pass through the mail.

I tried to buy a medication on line as it was significantly cheaper than here but it got seized as the product is sold in Indonesia.

I made recently several orders on AliExpress for Dinky Toys models.
Biggest ones were 60 and 70 Euro, plus a few smaller ones. All received without problem in 3 to 4 weeks from China to Bali, no custom problem but one package had been opened by them.
All free shipping (means shipping is included in the price..) It is known that China helps export with very very low rates on China Post.

The limit is 75USD for the item, not including shipping and insurance. source 1 - source 2

I haven't used AliExpress, but a friend mentioned that he has with no problems (below 75usd). I've purchased from Ebay, items shipped from USA and China/HK, no problems.

Never problems but deliveries take sometimes up to two months....

NB: I just hit a new record, 3 months for some plate hangers.

Last edited:
It depends what you need and by when. But nowadays I always have to do a balancing act between cheap(est)-AliExpress and fast(est)-Tokopedia / Shopee / Bukalapak. For instance, I will not order lamps or printer cartridges from China anymore.

I definitely think the buyer protection in Indonesia is better, they can stop and refund within days. With AliExpress there is a process that allows for accepting the postponing for the delivery for some extra months. And you're much more expected to work things out with the seller.

Then there's also AliBaba for the real large amounts. Esp. if you're a professional that can be a very interesting platform.

Last edited:
Good info thanks everyone. Ill try to stick to below 75USD per shipment.

I just hit a new record, 3 months for some plate hangers

So the plot thickens:

I went to Customer Service in the big Kantor Pos at Pasar Baru to inquire. Before I could finish my sentence, the guy at the loket said: “Say no more, your package is in Makassar!”

So it seems the post office in Jakarta Timur is called after its location....... Pasar Makassar. From customs it can end up in one or the other place, depending on who reads the forwarding label.
Hard to believe but I kid you not.

He gave me a number to call (I guess they wanted to close since it was almost noon). When I called they said from wherever it was, it got forwarded to Manado (of course ?) and received by someone on 31 May.

?

To be continued on Monday...

Last edited:
To confirm: In the post office.

D35099EF-4806-4025-82FE-F3557F10B17C.jpeg

So per recipient per day

I received a refund for the item by (the) AliExpress (seller). The dispute button works quite well. It’s not obvious to have an item resent, refund is the standard procedure.

The same for something that broke after using it for one week btw.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back