One year already... a personal message to you guys.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
A year ago we were launching Expat Indo Forum.

I would like to thank all of you guys to have followed us in this new adventure and for anything you've been posting here.

I unfortunately don't have as much time as I had a few years ago to contribute and I certainly will have fewer time in the future. However I'd like to tell you guys that, while working in my office or wherever, many of your posts have made my day while many others have helped me to better understand Indonesia or the expat community. Thanks for it.

I have one hope for this coming second year: please make a greater use of The Cage. I, along with all other mods, have noticed a raising animosity among an handful of users.

If you want to have a not so politically correct debate with a user or with something he'd have posted, please do so in The Cage.

Please, realize that we've spent one full year without issuing a single infraction to any user. I can predict that we would not complete a second year without one if the above message is not understood and complied with.

From the beginning we clearly said that there were two areas. The board, which is moderated and were political correctness and a certain civility is required, and The Cage, were much more leeway is given and were you can (almost) freely beat the crap out of each others.

I wish you all a nice second year with us.

Vanhelsing

Cager
UOKru3w.gif
]
UOKru3w.gif

harryopal

Charter Member
Thank you for all the time and effort setting this up and keeping it running not to mention your personal responses to questions. A very useful facility.

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Thank you too.

Perhaps a suggestion is mods move some threads to the cage when it becomes apparent that the topic is polarizing eg: the jilbab thread or the trump thread?

El_Goretto

Cager
Happy birthday to us!

@William King

That wouldn't be fair for non-cagers. It would be so much easier and nicer for everyone if we just were all more civil.

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Well true, but once a thread starts descending most non cagers are probably not reading it anyway...

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Perhaps a suggestion is mods move some threads to the cage when it becomes apparent that the topic is polarizing eg: the jilbab thread or the trump thread?
I think it is something we will have to discuss among mods. As EG stated, being more civil wouldn't hurt, but I also think that moving some threads in The Cage is definitely the way to go, with perhaps "softening" the rules to be a Cager so that more people can participate and that we all have what we look for.

I also would like to have the feeling of as many user as possible on the question, but perhaps in a dedicated thread.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Happy 1st Anniversary :D
Not had as much time to contribute to the forum as I did in the early days- apologies. Time has been tight for me since late last year.

Atlantis>>> I, along with all other mods, have noticed a raising animosity among an handful of users.
Are we saying that the honeymoon is almost over... :D ?

The threads in question are so damn predictable that I can't be bothered wasting my precious time reading them- I can probably guess accurately in advance who will be saying what. (Oft a version of the the same old same old rehashed bigoted viewpoints-boring! so I keep out).

** maybe those who are so dug into their views that they have to be unpleasant could take some time to reflect that they & what they write is open to the publ;ic & once written will be lingering in cyberworld infinitely.
Personally, I would hope that things I write that shape an unknown public view of me are of a positive & embracing nature, not of an argumentative small minded bigoted nature.
Not that I have actually read any of the squabbles. I could hazard a guess at who is in the middle of 'em.

Pimpin

Come on, I belong caged.

When I saw what El G wrote in this thread I really wanted to start off my post with a seven letter word beginning and ending with f's. No comparison to the ease of doing so or not

Out of the cage could I have used it? Just trying to be familiar with rules in here.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Come on, I belong caged.
Cage privilege is something one earn by posting (200 posts) and having a seniority with us (2 months). That's the rule to date. We don't consider the propensity to be an arse of a member or the street cred of a member or anything else than two above criterias.

Out of the cage could I have used it? Just trying to be familiar with rules in here.
In or out of The Cage it would have greatly reduced your shelf life among us.

We want debates, opinions being argued whatever they are. If you can do so respecting rules of courtesy, do it on the board. If emotion has to be on the way, and a more colorful language has to used, do it in The Cage. Still there are limits.

In my opinion it is acceptable to say that an opinion is crap, ridiculous or stupid, it is not to say that someone is a bastard, to tell him to fuck off or to threaten any member. Tone, as in "how it is perceived/interpreted by mods" is of the utmost importance.

Does it clarify the limit which will allow you to survive among us? :)

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Just trying to be familiar with rules in here.
This is an excerpt of The Protocols of The Cage:

Welcome to The Cage

This forum is for discussions and arguments with limited (not nonexistent) moderation.

Specifically, we are relaxing the rules on using profanity, flaming, personal attacks, and junior modding for users while they are in The Cage. As such, moderation will be kept to a minimum, except in extreme cases (e.g., threats of violence, duh!).

We will be running this as an experiment at first. We may change the rules if there are problems. If it goes really bad we may stop The Cage altogether.

Protocols of the Cage:
  • No hate speech or epithets based on race/ethnicity/gender/orientation/nationality: "You sick bastard" in a bantering tone is OK; "you dirty kike" is not.
  • No threats or otherwise illegal behavior/content: Threatening other posters or promoting illegal content or behavior is still prohibited.
  • What happens in The Cage, stays in The Cage: Any resentment or hurt feelings are not to be taken outside of The Cage. You mad, bro?
  • ]Voluntary NOT mandatory participation: Participation in The Cage is completely voluntary and also constitutes consent to the Protocols of the Cage. So you can't force your archenemy into a cage match, ain't gonna happen.
  • Cage user label/badge: Users participating in The Cage will be identified as such. Talk about forum cred!

Also note that this forum is set as private and is only accessible to users who have received the privilege. This means that non-registered users and regular users will not have access to this section. They may know it's there, but they won't be allowed to play yet.

And last but not least, failure to abide by the Protocols of the Cage will result in removal of your Cage access.

[email protected]

Cager
Congratulations to you guys on one year of operations. I am not a regular poster but flick onto the site a couple of times a day to read the posts. As a pensioner with very little else to do I find that reading the posts gives me little sense of connection with others in the expat community.

I would like to add a few observations about the site.

Firstly it appears that the site no longer seems to get as many questions about legal and other issues impacting on expats as was the case at the old site 12 months ago. Personally I when I arrived in Indonesia I found the information help me greatly in understanding the Indonesian world we live in and the bureaucratic jungle we must navigate. I appreciate that the website provides a wealth of information but forum does not seem to attract newcomers seeking information or provide updates on issues that are common to all. Knowledgeable people like Atlantis not contributing as regularly may add to my perception.

Secondly I agree with the prior comments about the tone of conversations. In particular my pet hate is the interrogation the an advertiser must face when they try to advertise their good or services on line. Most of these people follow the posting guidelines so it should be a case of do your own research and buy if you think it offers value for money. There is no need for every offer to be dissected on line.

Thirdly i think the mediators should be more active and end conversations when they get out of hand.

My comments are meant to criticise the site as it remains a great expat resource. They are simply my observations as a regular viewer of the site.

Pimpin

Well, I was only going to start off with that word and finish the sentence with .... it's easier. Said with a lovable tone like you hear with two British or Auzy mates.

Ok ya I get it, I think, sort of, maybe, hoping so. Gonna kinda try hard.

Still. 200 posts or two months. Just sayin. It's not like I'm exactly a newbie. But ya ok.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Thanks for your input, Brian. It is very valuable to us to have the feed-backs of all users. I'd like to provide you an answer for a couple of things you brought out
Firstly it appears that the site no longer seems to get as many questions about legal and other issues impacting on expats as was the case at the old site 12 months ago. Personally I when I arrived in Indonesia I found the information help me greatly in understanding the Indonesian world we live in and the bureaucratic jungle we must navigate. I appreciate that the website provides a wealth of information but forum does not seem to attract newcomers seeking information or provide updates on issues that are common to all. Knowledgeable people like Atlantis not contributing as regularly may add to my perception.

First, there is very little things moving on the legal front when it comes to Expats. The period 2011 to 2014 has been extremely rich in terms of regulation changes, but since 2014 nothing or almost nothing new has been enacted, which leave very little for us to publicize, dissect, explain...etc. We have entered in a sort of status quo period since all implementing regulations concerning immigration have been enacted and socialized.

Secondly, despite the fact that we have gained a pretty fair ranking on most google search, we are not still the number one proposal. It explains why newcomers seeking information don't choose us as their "first hit". They often come only after being advised to have a look at us here. This (a number one ranking) will take time and effort to acquire and the board members can help us to achieve it through sharing this resource on social networks (Facebook, other websites and forums,etc) and obviously posting quality and informative content.

Lastly, though I agree with you that I have greatly decreased my contributions due to my professional obligations, I could give you the example of Dafluff or El Goretto who, each in their field, have tremendously increased their contributions here. Not to say that these two chaps were lazy posting in LIIF, but they have posted some highly valuable material here which, in my opinion, far out-weight my "retreat".

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Brian, previously, many of the questions were a repeat of what someone already asked and has been answered. Now with so much of the information people are searching for on the Expat Indo sister site and that which is being posted on Facebook, many just need to ask the same question since their answers are all conveniently laid out for them already. If there are changes, I'm pretty sure you will hear about them here first.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
It's not like I'm exactly a newbie. But ya ok.
I understand that, but please consider that we have a whole bunch of "new" Expats who know nothing about the Jurassic Era of the Expat Forums. Let them time to get accustumed with you.

[email protected]

Cager
Thanks for the explanation about the law remaining static for the last few years. I am glad that is the case as I quoted an extract from the forum about the law when purchasing a new car a couple weeks ago. That transaction developed into a saga but all ended well.

I also totally agree the standard of contribution by people like Dafluff or El Goretto is excellent.

Helping a forum like this to grow and sustain growth I think is an obligation not just of the board members but all regular users. It is a simple fact that if posts are of a high quality and interesting the site will attract other users.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Happy birthday!

I'm kinda amazed that I'm still here, to be honest. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja