Occupations Unique to Indonesia. ( Not the West Papua Type.)

jstar

Mr. 10,000
A huge plant pot on every side of the driveway and a chain between them. But don't forget the moment you prevent parking, you will blow up some bridges and the relationship with neighbors will deteriorate. (It's a bit like having a garage in townhouses in busy city streets, they all park for 'just one minute').

OT: I'm not sure if the pak ogah was already mentioned? Those guys who pretend to help you at U-turns but in fact are just annoying and ask small change. That name originates from kid's TV show called Unyil.

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
Last, retribusi parkir usually do not concern residential areas.
What about residential zoned areas that have lots of restaurants on it? Senopati and Gunawarman for example, I would think they're zoned residential?

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
I wonder if I can begin charging my relatives for parking when they stop over.

For half of what you can get I send you a nice shiny whistle today by tiki, waarmie.
Well thank you. Hope our sister can hold it until we are in town. Looks like we will be returning to Indonesia for an unscheduled visit this coming summer; the plan was to visit every other summer, but that did not account for weddings or new babies. One of the latter is likely to be on tap this summer -- the visit-the-prospective-bride's-family event is getting organized for early December.

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
but that did not account for weddings or new babies. One of the latter is likely to be on tap this summer -- the visit-the-prospective-bride's-family event is getting organized for early December.
hehehe...did you really mean the above...or is that the normal plan in Java.
According to my Balinese maid it is customary for Balinese to only get married once pregnancy is assured.
I went to our Bali handyman's son's wedding about six months ago and, sure enough, the handyman is a proud grand-dad already.

jukung11

Cager
I am not as well traveled as some. Do other countries have dukuns? I know many have fortune tellers, but the role of the dukun seems pretty culturally Indonesian.

Does it have to be only Indonesian? Malaysia has shared cultures and border.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Nah. The whole split is artificial of course; just a deal between Great Britain and Holland at the time; "you get the south, we take the north".

The whole shaman concept is rather universal in Asia and Africa though.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
hehehe...did you really mean the above...or is that the normal plan in Java.
According to my Balinese maid it is customary for Balinese to only get married once pregnancy is assured.
I went to our Bali handyman's son's wedding about six months ago and, sure enough, the handyman is a proud grand-dad already.
As you noticed, I confused former with latter. I was referring to the first item in the series, the former: the possibility of a wedding.

Smallworld

Charter Member
Cager
I am not as well traveled as some. Do other countries have dukuns? I know many have fortune tellers, but the role of the dukun seems pretty culturally Indonesian.

Does it have to be only Indonesian? Malaysia has shared cultures and border.
Maybe Indonesian dukun are something similar to monks these days. Yes/No .... not sure.

Does Islam have this kind of thing: Monks in monasteries making herbal medicaments, beer, wine?

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Special Psychiatrist for the ones who lose the elections.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZacharyBen
Top Bottom