OCBC account opening - reference letter

sumyunggai

Anyone familiar with this bank?

I wanted to open an account with them as they have good foreign currency facilities but they said I needed a letter of reference from my employer (don't have one - spousal KITAP) or an existing WNI customer.

I am not sure if this is a policy everywhere or just something from the local branches I tried?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I am personally only familiar with their Singaporean branches, but I know there are some forum members who have OCBC accounts in Indonesia. (Search forum.)

The thing is that banks can really ask whatever they want and make it difficult for potential customers. Money is cheap nowadays and interest rates of the central banks often negative.

So there's not a lot you can do besides shopping around, or have your spouse open an account. Other banks often will ask you for NPWP btw.

snpark

Cager
Or get your spouse to write a letter. And mention you do not want credit facilities. Only savings and deposit and current account

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
I am not sure if this is a policy everywhere or just something from the local branches I tried?
It is not uncommon from banks here, albeit they usually just ask a letter of reference from a customer of the branch, regardless of the fact that s/he is WNI or WNA.
In Maybank, in Permata and in Bukopin where I had/have accounts they have asked to potential customers I introduced them a letter of reference, telling tham that I (WNA) could sign it since I have/had accounts in these banks

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
We got corporate accounts with them, Indonesia and Singapore. Customer service and convenience they’re OK, online banking system lightyears ahead of BCA.

Can’t be of much help re the letter though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrischris
Top Bottom