NPWP, pre/postnup, gift taxes and purchase of land

dafluff

Cager
As an addendum to my post #17 above, the property purchased by the WNI should be declared by them as an asset on their tax filing IF they have or can get an NPWP. Many tax offices will not issue an NPWP to anyone, WNA or WNI, if they do not have income to report. In our case, my wife tried to get an NPWP and was refused because she doesn't work or have income to report, even though the tax office clearly understood that she owns real property and a car. Welcome to Indonesia!

Yep...this is so bizzare...why make it so hard to get NPWP? There is literally almost no cost to them beyond printing out a plastic card, and potentially a lot to gain from tax income...

make_batik_great_again

Yep...this is so bizzare...why make it so hard to get NPWP? There is literally almost no cost to them beyond printing out a plastic card, and potentially a lot to gain from tax income...

I have also read many times that people, espec. foreigners, have difficulties to get a NPWP. This is why I was surprised that my wife (Indonesian) and I got our NPWPs without any trouble. Maybe the tax offices handle this very differently or maybe they make it easier to get a NPWP lately.

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
Agreed, although perhaps the thinking in some tax offices is that with a limited number of human resources, they want to focus on people who actually owe tax through the generation of income. Simply owning assets and reporting them annually on a tax form doesn't necessarily give rise to any tax payments, while at the same time it increases the human resources required to process these 'unproductive' returns. Indeed, the tax officer we met told my wife as much by saying they were concerned only whether she earned any income, not whether she owned assets.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja