Not Extending KITAS - Any foreseeable issue?

MieTekTek

Hi all

Here's my current situation which I would like some advice...

My (first) KITAS will be expiring in mid Jan. According to the folks at KanIM Batam, I can get to work on extending it next month.

When we applied for my first KITAS last December, we had planned to settled in my wife's town some 8 hours train ride away from Palembang. It would be very costly - time and money wise - to keep doing visa run.

Now, due to some issues with our housing office in my country, I'll be based mainly in my home country (Singapore). By the way, we had already relocated to Batam, where doing visa run is just a matter of a ferry ride. Wife will accompany me to Singapore for few weeks each month, and I'll also spend some time in Batam as well. It will be like this for the next 4-5 years.

Given my situation, wife had told me to just save the 2 juta and forget about the extension since I'll be spending most time on SG anyway. I've no issue with paying the 2 juta, but would hate to waste money on something not important in the near future.

Hence, I would like to seek advice from folks here.

Will there be any potential issue if I were to not extend my KITAS now, but wanted to do it some 5 years later? Applying for a new one, I mean.

I read that KITAP is based on the registration of marriage for at least 2 years, and not based on how many times you extend your KITAS. Is that still the case now?

Plan is to forget about the extension now. Later, 4-5 years later, we'll apply for a new KITAS, and immediately apply to convert to KITAP since our marriage (at KUA Batam) Wook be at least 5 years then.

Is this advisable?

Thanks for reading.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Will there be any potential issue if I were to not extend my KITAS now, but wanted to do it some 5 years later? Applying for a new one, I mean.
No issue. Dont forget to apply for an EPO.

KITAP? Married for two years.
Yes, since your marriage is registered in Indonesia, you will easily meet that requirement.

Plan is to forget about the extension now. Later, 4-5 years later, we'll apply for a new KITAS, and immediately apply to convert to KITAP since our marriage (at KUA Batam) Wook be at least 5 years then.
That is perfectly possible.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Btw, while having a KITAS you can not be more than 6 months out of the country, with a KITAP you can be out of the country maximum 1 year in a row. And for the latter they definitely will do house visit(s) to make sure you live there. So your choice makes perfect sense to avoid these kind of issues.

MieTekTek

Thanks jstar for your advise, especially the part on EPO, else I might have issue entering again if I just simply let it lapse.

I just submitted my paperwork to KanIM at Batam Center. In total, it take 3 working days to process. And, once you connected the EPO, you need to exit the country with 3 days, collection date inclusive.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin41
Top Bottom