newbie question about working as teacher in International school in Jakarta

ndondo

with some connections I am offered a job but the international school ask me to get a working visa.

some background.
I am a canadian with teaching experience.
my husband is WNI with permanent resident status in Canada
we got married 30 years ago in Canada, we are checking if we have catatan sipil marriage , I hope I can find it.

my questions are:
question 1 is there such thing as working visa in Indonesia? if yes what terminology does it use?

Question 2
The international school told me the only way to work is to get ITAP. and one of the way to get itap is to be on ITAS for 5 years (but no working allowed during that 5 years). is this true? I find it hard to believe if you have to sit around as a homemaker for 5 years before alowed to work.. but I would not be surprise if this is one of the option

question 3
If I want to teach in international school what are my option to get a temporary working visa for at least 1, 2 years would be better.

question 4
does it make a difference in terms of working stay permit between teaching in an international school and teaching english (in EF for example).

thank you...

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Welcome.

Can I first say that my impression of the level of professionalism of that International School is very low after the answers they gave you? Are you sure it is a 'real' International school and not a National+ school? There has been some scrutiny on the wording International btw, it can not be used (so easily) anymore.

1. Before a working permit for a foreigner was called an IMTA, now this has been replaced by a Notification after the review of the candidate matching a 'foreigner placement plan' (RPTKA) by the employer. So probably best to talk about a 'work permit'. The foreign worker is called a TKA. Every foreigner living here also needs a permit to stay in Indonesia, and for that (s)he should be sponsored by an Indonesian entity (see next question). So for a TKA there is a combination of work and stay permit.

2. BS. The goal is not to get a permanent residence permit (ITAP) to be able to work here for a company, but a limited stay permit (ITAS) sponsored by the employer. So there is never a need to wait for five years if you want to be employed here.

3. In order to employ you as a teacher the school will need a permission to hire foreign teaching staff, based on local regulations and the RPTKA. Others* here will be able to tell you which qualifications are needed for foreign teachers. A working permit is always temporary.

4. As long as the organization has approval for the hiring of the foreigner, and you have the qualifications required by the government, it shouldn't make a big difference. But some language mills do try to bypass regulations (e.g. citizenship) by avoiding the title of teacher or subject. And in your case, they might propose your WNI husband to be your sponsor; risky and in fact not legally possible for such a teaching position at a school.

* A couple of forum members with a lot of Indonesian teaching experience from the top of my head: @William King , @Travellingchez and @Pak Asam Manis . But there are more...

Last edited:

centurion

Cager
You can take spouse sponsored short term stay permit-1 year KITAS if the WN husband still has Indonesian KTP and address, and the school could provide a work permit, aka Notifikasi. However, from the school`s answer, it is obvious that they do not know what are they talking about.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
You can take spouse sponsored short term stay permit-1 year KITAS if the WN husband still has Indonesian KTP and address, and the school could provide a work permit, aka Notifikasi.

centurion

Cager
Theoretically there is space to debate it, however, in practice work permit is issued based on spouse KITAS/KITAP as well, for sure for the reasons mentioned in the link, which does not make it less valid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww46
Top Bottom