Newbie from Japan/France

mfpl007

Hi all,
I am Japanese who grew up in the States and live in France. I arrived in Jakarta about three weeks ago. I work as a coordinator for a project on blue carbon assessment/evalutation and biodiversity conservation in the Indonesian coastal region.
It will be nice to get some useful information on Indonesia in this forum, and hopefully meet some of you!
Cheers,
Mihoko

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Welcome Mihoko, hopefully you'll feel at home here.

Obviously the Jakarta Bay has a very bad name. Now I went to the mangroves in PIK (north Jakarta) lately, and was positively surprised since I expected much more garbage etc. Also a lot of fish. But perhaps there are many (invisible) sediments?

mfpl007

Welcome Mihoko, hopefully you'll feel at home here.

Obviously the Jakarta Bay has a very bad name. Now I went to the mangroves in PIK (north Jakarta) lately, and was positively surprised since I expected much more garbage etc. Also a lot of fish. But perhaps there are many (invisible) sediments?
Hi jstar,
Thanks for your message :) It is great you didn't find much garbage in North Jakarta. My project does research in much healthier sites (Karimunjawa and Derawan at this moment), so I can't tell you much about the Jakarta Bay, but I hear that it is very polluted.
Have a nice day!
Cheers

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Karimunjawa and Derawan
Ah okay. Those natural areas are well known for turtles etc. How long is the assignment?

As you will have seen, Japanese restaurants are present all over the city of course. But many ramen/udon/sushi places cater to the local taste. Close to Blok M you can find a cluster of supermarkets / bakeries and restaurants which have a lot of Japanese patrons. Those -which are considered more authentic- are concentrated in the south west.

In the north you can find (next to Chinese) more Korean and even Indian clusters. Western (and good French) food is not cheap here, often the upscale hotels have the better restaurants.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Welcome aboard mihoko,
Scuba diving in Karimun Jawa and Derawan is not bad at all. Turtles is almost guarantee in Derawan.
So, if you don't, get certified then.

Last time we visited Karimun more than a decade ago, I heard from friends, more reef sharks in karimun Jawa now. Hopefully true.

mfpl007

Welcome aboard mihoko,
Scuba diving in Karimun Jawa and Derawan is not bad at all. Turtles is almost guarantee in Derawan.
So, if you don't, get certified then.

Last time we visited Karimun more than a decade ago, I heard from friends, more reef sharks in karimun Jawa now. Hopefully true.
Hi Wisnu,
Thanks for your welcome message :) I am a certified diver, though I have not dived for a while... So I am definitely looking for some awesome dives here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Methblinkz
Top Bottom