New roof

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
Anybody replaced their tiled roof while living in the house? 2-story house.

Eh ya. What’s your question?

Rayap infested wooden truss replaced by a metal roof construction. Not in the rainy season though.

Eh ya. What’s your question?

Rayap infested wooden truss replaced by a metal roof construction. Not in the rainy season though.
Right, and during the dry for sure. Hoping the crew can do the job without us having to move out. Guess this is my question: will we have to move out?

I did it without moving out but was a disaster. Not from the staying there perspective (which was fine) but from shitty contractors dissapearing mid job. The first company seemed so professional. Detailed drawings, full contract, good website etc etc. I wish I could recommend ways to avoid that here but I haven't had much luck. There are other threads taking about ways to select contractors. Good luck.

I did it without moving out but was a disaster. Not from the staying there perspective (which was fine) but from shitty contractors dissapearing mid job. The first company seemed so professional. Detailed drawings, full contract, good website etc etc. I wish I could recommend ways to avoid that here but I haven't had much luck. There are other threads taking about ways to select contractors. Good luck.
Ha...my next door neighbor is renovating his house. Is into his third contractor! I know what you mean, built a house in 1989 and renovated one in 2010. Part of the risk I guess.

Don’t give the contractors too much upfront, certainly.

They used the tarpaulin (those baches, truck canvas ) to cover the parts of the roof which were open. Not a big issue but I wondered what happen with a storm.

The most annoying thing was them starting at 5.30, so a next time I would move out yes. I really don't want to live in a place that gets renovated anymore.

We are looking forward to replacing our termite infested truss system with metal, hopefully beginning this summer when we are back in town for a couple of months. Not that we are unfamiliar with contractor problem, but guys are not encouraging.

Tight control of payments and constant, competent supervision are a must, but no guarantee of a trouble free project.

Oh and besides not starting in the rainy season you also don't want to start until after Ramadan finishes. This is a tough one as most contractors cant start for another month after the end of Ramadan as the workers don't return.
One mistake I made and would not repeat is that I didn't visit the office address of the contractor. Next time i would make sure they really do exist properly and cant just disappear. The trouble is if they do just stop turning up there really isn't much you can do anyway.

We had our pointy roof taken off & flat roof put on.
Lived in through that and many other renovations, I hate all the dust and dirt and mess, but the plus side is you can keep an eye on what is going on. Even though it was hubby's family who did the work, some things got lost in translation, so being around certainly helped me & them to get things straight.

Another tip I picked up when doing latest bathroom, instead of buying non-slip ceramic tiles from the tile shop, we picked up some fab stone tiles from the stone yard... about half the price of ceramic tiles.
Obviously they don't come in pretty patterns and colours - but deffo non-slip and they look good.

We did a rough stone for our shower floor. It worked out well. We did a rough texture ceramic tile for the rest of the bathroom floor. Seems ok, so far.

It depends a bit what water you're using. The Aetra (PAN) water contains sooo much calcium, that those rough texture tiles collect small whitish stains. So better not go for black. (Yes we keep on learning from experience.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back