New Indonesian passports are NOT valid for travel to Germany (and maybe other countries).

dafluff

Cager
For some reason, immigration has decided that new Indonesian passports are issued without a signature.

Neither a digital signature nor a signature column is anywhere on the passport. This
IMG_20210613_130836_216.jpg
has resulted in Germany rejecting these passports due to not being compliant with their regulation.

VFS Global issued an advisory that passports without signatures will not be accepted for processing by the German Embassy. It further advises holders of such passports to not travel to Germany even if they have a valid visa, because entry may be denied at the border.

As of now, there is no remedy for this from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration.

Last edited:
Never thought about a signature on a passport being a necessary thing and I don't think I have ever seen a country compare my handwriting. I guess it's another step to verifying identity but I'm not sure how often it is used or for what purpose. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Probably new Indonesian biometric passport has no signature on the front biodata page(as biometric passports have), and without a signature done physically in the checkbox, makes it uncomplete for use according to conventions.

So they'll have to get the visa from another Schengen country, or will that have the same problem?

How Indonesian Immigration could be so myopic and parochial is extraordinary.

New UK passport also has no signature. That's what biometrics are for

Or even a space to sign manually and write the next of kin etc like years ago

Please re-read my post

Just to clarify for you
The new one red one European yes had a digital signature preprinted and embossed into the page

The new dark blue (not black) Brexit one does NOT have any signature on it

I know. I have both in my hand right now
The blue one has no digital signature. But both are biometric versions

Please re-read my post

Just to clarify for you
The new one red one European yes had a digital signature preprinted and embossed into the page

The new dark blue (not black) Brexit one does NOT have any signature on it

I know. I have both in my hand right now
The blue one has no digital signature. But both are biometric versions

Wow ok. Thanks.
Even I picked mine up personally at VFS nothing was mentioned to me about signing and no sticker or paper to instruct me

Even the line is so tiny and faint it's very hard to see you are supposed to sign there.

Why they don't make it more obvious or clear?
Mines not signed still to this day. Oh well.

Wow ok. Thanks.
Even I picked mine up personally at VFS nothing was mentioned to me about signing and no sticker or paper to instruct me

Even the line is so tiny and faint it's very hard to see you are supposed to sign there.

Why they don't make it more obvious or clear?
Mines not signed still to this day. Oh well.
It is not intuitive... I signed the first time my passport when I was reprimanded by the border officer (at that time my passport was with a physical signature).

Some passports obviously have a physical signature and some are on the biometric polycarbonate page.

Yes the old days it was already on there embossed with the pic

just realize my new passport (got it from Indonesian embassy 5 months ago) has no signature. No plan to visit Germany in near future though. Hope no issue to visit other countries.

Yup, I keep my old passport with me, as my UK and US visa are still valid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819