Nespresso coffee capsules

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Because of 'overstocking' somewhat, we have some packs with the Nespresso capsules for sale.

They are the six packs on the left. Every pack contains 14 capsules, the expiry date is end February 2017. The housebrand from Delhaize (the mother company of SuperIndo btw), which we found to be the best option price quality wise. (Nespresso itself becomes ridiculously expensive.) And UTZ certified.

IMG_6283.jpg

As said before, you would get the 6 packs on the left, the boxes are reserved (interesting since they identified and promote the Indonesian beans, and only for sale in Belgium). They are all strong, not for Lungo but for Espresso and even Ristretto.

I would like to get rid of all at once: For the six packs (so 84 capsules) I ask 390.000 IDR. (Including shipment to the DKI and the western part of Java.) I make no profit, that is the regular price in the European shops, in Singapore and HK you would pay much more (for the Nespresso brand). If no interest, it means I will have to make a lot of Tiramisu the coming months.

Payment to a BCA or Mandiri account and immediate shipment. Simple.

Why would coffee have an expiration date?

My wife recently bought a Nespresso machine...she's a kitchen-gadget nut. I don't drink coffee but was interested in their expiry and, sure enough, her Nespresso capsules are all expiry dated.
She keeps them in the freezer as she says they stay fresh longer.

As I mentioned once before, I've seen expiry dates on salt.

Yes, who wants to use moldy salt? Certainly not I.

I've bought moldy yoghurt and sour milk at Balikpapan, it was still in sell by date, so if left out in the sun sell by date is irrelevant

Why would coffee have an expiration date?

Because it contains essential oils that will go rancid after a while? I dunno, but it makes sense to me that coffee would not be as good after it had been sitting around for a long time.

From the web:

https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-taste-of-espresso-affected-when-its-grounds-are-not-fresh-enough said:
stale coffee is incapable of extracting the delicate flavors and aromas that fresh coffee can deliver.

Stale coffee occurs when oxygen (air or moisture) comes in contact with the lipid (fat) molecules found in the roasted coffee beans. This process of oxidization creates undesirable breakdown products called Peroxides. Peroxides act as a catalyst that then attack the most delicate of the 800 volatile molecular components that give coffee its special taste and aroma. These special Aldehydes, that the Peroxides attack, are the most delicate and volatile aroma compounds found in roasted coffee. The best Arabica coffees typically have a higher concentration of these aldehydes. These compounds give coffee its sweet, fruit/floral-like aromas. They are easily oxidized (changed into acid and water) which is what happens when the coffee becomes stale (oxidized).

I think light is also not a good idea. But the packs are air tight, and the capsules are or aluminium or individually wrapped..

I suppose some folks are willing to pay through the nose for convenience sake...or perhaps mastering the intricacies of brewing a cup of coffee with freshly ground beans is a bridge too far.

I suppose some folks are willing to pay through the nose for convenience sake...or perhaps mastering the intricacies of brewing a cup of coffee with freshly ground beans is a bridge too far.

You also need a larger and more expensive machine. If you don't have the space or rarely use the machine, the capsules are a better choice.

Actually, coffee can be brewed nicely with a pot on the stove. Egg shells optional. Large expensive machines, like the prepackaged portions, are not a necessity of life.

Ya, and those trains make the cows' milk sour. Good for nothin' all those newfangled gadgets, es waarken maulvoll ga.

Actually, coffee can be brewed nicely with a pot on the stove. Egg shells optional. Large expensive machines, like the prepackaged portions, are not a necessity of life.

Neither is coffee.

Espresso, however, requires a large expensive machine.

Saying that it's an unnecessary extravagance or whatever is not really the point.

I agree that coffee is not a necessity. You might get some argument from folks willing to pay for prepackaged portions or expensive machines, though.

I'm not judging or anything but I've stopped using those Nespresso capsule types for several reasons:
- They're expensive
- They don't taste great (pre-ground old coffee beans get rancid and bitter)
- They're bad for the environment

I don't drink espresso anymore so I don't care much for an actual espresso machine. However, a regular Krups machine is not that much bigger than a Nespresso machine and will make better coffee simply due to the ability to choose the beans and ground size.

If space is really such an issue, manual/portable single shot espresso machines exist, such as any of those.

The only advantage of Nespresso is that it's very simple: pop the cap in and press the button. Done.

Just wondering what you coffee experts think of the White Coffee that is continually advertised on TV, I had a cup of white coffee at the airport it wasn't too good plus it upset my tum, so do you think it's just a gimmick, much like the expensive coffee machines

Yeah, that is a Malaysian (and Singaporean) gimmick. Calling a (rather bad Latte), White Coffee, nice marketing I guess. In fact it's not even a latte, just a regular coffee with a huge amount of milk (powder).

Don't forget that Nespresso in the western world, has a recycling program for their aluminium cups. And the countries with separate garbage collection, have bags with PET and metal containers. Over here we give them to the can collectors on the street.

If you think Nespresso is bad, you probably just drank a version you did not like. There are so many different types around that you can go any way (bitter, sour, soft, silky, strong, fruity, ....). And the capsules are vacuum so in fact the coffee is better stored than the packages you buy with ground coffee for the traditional drip systems (which I think are disgusting). And if you're not lucky, you might also buy beans you don't like (e.g. burned); that is trial and error as well, just as selecting your favorites with systems like Dolce Gusto, Illy IperEspresso and Nespresso.

I also have a traditional espresso machine. But it is quite some work to clean and prepare, esp. for visitors (and I will never give them drip).

I also have a traditional espresso machine. But it is quite some work to clean and prepare, esp. for visitors (and I will never give them drip).

Although, a nice moka pot coffee is great for guests, especially the fragrance!

That's particularly useful when you want to sell a house. People love the smell of fresh coffee. Just beans in a bowl works too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back