My Kitap expired whilst I was overseas - what are my options?

Balilongtime

Charter Member
Hi fellow Expats.
I was an ex-pat.., and I am seeking advice on whether I may face problems (or not) upon re-entering Indonesia?
- i.e. on any visa, including a tourist visa.

My final departure from Indonesia was back in late 2019 (a few months before covid),
When I was still a long-time ex-pat living in Indonesia on a (wife-sponsored) KITAP.
But, after going through a lengthy legal divorce in Indonesia,​
I chose to 'reassess my life' and gathered up what was still left of my belongings and left Indonesia,​
i.e. 'without first obtaining my entry/exit permit,

• Secondly, my KITAP also expired shortly after that, which I know has been cancelled.

I do know that: before leaving Indonesia, the lawful procedure for me to exit Indonesia
  • should have been for me to surrender my Kitap to Immigrasi (as I didn't get an entry/exit permit),
  • and Immigrasi would have instead issued me with an EPO (i.e. Exit Permit Only)
.., which I didn't do. Due to my emotional turmoil, I packed my things, jumped on a plane and left.

Question; Am I now in any legal strife if I try to return to Indonesia because I did not obtain an EPO, or can I now return with 'no questions asked' on a tourist visa?

Note; I plan to return to Indonesia later this year, hopefully. I would have tried sooner, but a combination of my health issues plus caring for a dying father had prevented my return.
Now though, I intend to 'start the ball rolling' .., i.e. to get back to living there again, be it on a Kitas/ Kitap / or even on a retirement visa.

Any advice is humbly appreciated.

Last edited:
Only one way to find out, and that is to attempt returning to Indonesia on a tourist visa. What is the worst that can happen? Denied entry, or being deported, but for what? You are able to leave Indonesia without an entry/exit permit (how did you do that?), which means Indonesia immigration allowed you to leave, so it's not your problem (not knowing the procedure) as they could have stopped you from departing.

Obviously you've lost your KITAS/P.

Regarding the epo I think that's a big problem

Someone else asked recently the same. Can't you search for their post in the visa section

And you'd have to come in on $35 voa and start again from scratch for a new kitas
BUT
What are you doing? Work? Retirement? Who is your new sponsor ?

Entry is VOA for 30+30 days

But check the epo problem on the other post. It's a problem

What a perilous journey life can be. Just returning and getting a VOA seems simplest but then what happens if the immigration officer flicks through your passport and finds your old KITAP stamp? One can plead ignorance of the law but in the English legal system ignorance of a law is not a defence? I hope someone can come up with reliable advice and clearly it seems we all sympathize with your predicament.

Obviously you've lost your KITAS/P.

Regarding the epo I think that's a big problem

Someone else asked recently the same. Can't you search for their post in the visa section

And you'd have to come in on $35 voa and start again from scratch for a new kitas
BUT
What are you doing? Work? Retirement? Who is your new sponsor ?

Entry is VOA for 30+30 days

But check the epo problem on the other post. It's a problem
Hi Snpark, thx for the links and reply..; I will read up on them tonight.
But to answer your questions,
My visa options/preference (I.e. if the EPO doesn't cause me grief)
  • is at the least would be for me to at least organise a pre-stamped 60-day Visa in my home country, but more likely have an agent (or friend with a kitas) send me a sponsor letter so I could enter on a social budaya​

I'd be looking at getting a straight-out retirement visa for which I meet the age and financial requirements.
Note; with all potential visa outcomes, I indeed won't be working, that is for sure, as I will strictly be on permanent R&R.

Only one way to find out, and that is to attempt returning to Indonesia on a tourist visa. What is the worst that can happen? Denied entry, or being deported, but for what? You are able to leave Indonesia without an entry/exit permit (how did you do that?), which means Indonesia immigration allowed you to leave, so it's not your problem (not knowing the procedure) as they could have stopped you from departing.
I just simply went to the airport, bought a one-way ticket outta there, walked through the immigration gate where my passport was stamped, and then I walked straight onto the plane (battered and shattered)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats