Moving our stuff to Bali - Help and advice needed!

Oulie

Hello again!

Thanks to all of you who have helped in my other thread. Thanks to you, we're moving forward with our plans and trying to connect the other dots.

We'll have work permits, and will be (hopefully) moving this summer to Bali. But first, we'll need to work our way through a few steps, including figuring out how to move all or our crap from Europe to Bali.

Does anyone have any helpful hints / advice / links / ?? for us regarding bringing our personal stuff into Bali?

We'd be bringing our personal things (Books, clothes, computers, trinkets, etc -but no TV's, dvd players).

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
If you are not moving a large amount, best to just pay for extra bags, while transporting your most valuable items, electronics and such, in you carry-ons. Sounds like you have already thought of this, but try to cull the load as much as possible with plans to replace items via local purchases once you are on the ground.
I must qualify my advise by saying it has been more than a few years since we moved into Indonesia, and our experience in shipping anything of consequence was out of, rather than into, the country.

Oulie

Yes, we have already thought about cutting down to the bare minimum.
I'd add though, that even then, we'll probably have quite a few boxes of stuff, which we'll probably ship by sea.

(Not sure how many m2 that will be - by an estimate, maybe 4 to 6m2?)

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Yes, we have already thought about cutting down to the bare minimum.
I'd add though, that even then, we'll probably have quite a few boxes of stuff, which we'll probably ship by sea.

(Not sure how many m2 that will be - by an estimate, maybe 4 to 6m2?)
6 m3 is an ungodly huge amount of space, unless you are bringing beds and sofas. Maybe check that number?

Ruserious

Have you considered using one of the companies who specialize in this? They are not cheap but do a good job in my experience and handle it all from the wrapping to shipping to customs clearance. Bigger ones in Indonesia include Asian tigers, Santa Fe, Allied Pickfords.

Oulie

6 m3 is an ungodly huge amount of space, unless you are bringing beds and sofas. Maybe check that number?
Hahaha, indeed it is! In an effort to remain diplomatic (solidarity is important in these trying times), I will just say that if there were ever a worldwide shortage of shoes and handbags, we'd be well off.

Have you considered using one of the companies who specialize in this? They are not cheap but do a good job in my experience and handle it all from the wrapping to shipping to customs clearance. Bigger ones in Indonesia include Asian tigers, Santa Fe, Allied Pickfords.
Yes, we'll definitely be using a shipping company if our collection of hoarded junk can't be whittled down to check-in sized bags. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Balifrog

Your main problem will be customs on arrival.
And when I inquired it seems that Bali is worse than Jakarta.

Make sure you have your shipping agent show you the exact rules on this.

As you move under a W.P. it may be easier, but under a retirement visa the rules are very strict .
Last thing you want is having your stuff kept hostage at customs, accumulating storage cost while you try to negociate the hostage release fee...

We moved from HKG 3 years ago, did 2 trips bringing our important stuff with us.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
My last experience moving from abroad was from China, 11 or so years ago. The ex-wife and an aide from the company I was working for actually handled the shipping as well. Point being, I don't really know how they put it together. However, at that time (and contrary to my comments on exorbitant import taxes in another thread) the shipping costs and expected taxes worked out to be so cheap that only large furniture was left behind in our apartment. We even brought cheap plastic cups and other junk. Took ages to arrive, but it did arrive. China Post, if I remember correctly.

These were very particular circumstances, but perhaps there is something I don't know about, like a one-time deferral of taxes for goods brought in during immigration. I actually have a bit of an inkling I read something like that on these or the other expat forums years ago. Anyone?

harryopal

Charter Member
From previous posts it seems shipping is both complicated and fraught with complications of duties payable. But assuming you do ship goods it would probably make sense to carry the most expensive items as personal in flight baggage and paying excess baggage fees to bring as much as possible. If you are intending to bring new items as inflight baggage do not have it still in boxes and plastic wrapping. Personal baggage tends to be allowed without tax unless there are conspicuous new and boxed items. You are only allowed one litre each of alcohol so having more than one bottle showing up on airport xray might then expose you to more a rigorous search and examination.

Ruserious

Yes, we'll definitely be using a shipping company if our collection of hoarded junk can't be whittled down to check-in sized bags. Anyone have experience with any of these?

All 3 companies I mentioned are very professional and handle embassies, schools etc. Not cheap but they will all do a good job for you.

mas_dam

There are 5 reputable international moving companies in Indonesia:
AGS Movers, Allied Pickfords, Asian Tigers, Crown Worldwide, Santa Fe.

Moving is a lot about coordination of the different logistics steps, and
you should always look for Door-to-Door quotes instead of trying to organize any step of the removal yourself (including packing). This way the responsibilities are clear and you can keep the moving company liable to their word and delivering your goods until destination as per removal contract. You should ideally look for a moving company that is present both in your origin and your destination country (Indonesia) so you can ensure they don't subcontract to the cheapest available local partner at the other end, but deliver the same quality from beginning to end.

The below information is provided by AGS Movers and is up to date (2021):

The following rules apply for ALL shipments.
There are three possible cases when importing used household goods into Indonesia:
a) Duty-free import:
Besides full completion of ALL import documents (see details below), two basic rules apply:
1. the goods must arrive at the latest 3 months after the shipper’s arrival to Indonesia
2. max. one sea shipment and one air shipment are eligible for duty & tax-free import.

b) Import subject to Duties and Taxes:
The goods can be imported but are subject to duties and taxes that are calculated
differently based on the (air)port of entry, i.e. when the shipment arrives after 3 months or
the documents are incomplete but still tolerable by customs.

c) No import possible
The goods cannot be imported at all, even when willing to pay duties and taxes, i.e. no
import documents, couriered goods not incident to a removal, commercial goods etc.

If you are a private shipper and foreign citizen, you can import up to one Sea Shipment and one Air Shipment Duty- and Tax-free if you complete the following requirements. You will see that only Number 2 and 3 are "difficult" or limit the eligible people. The rest is standard and easy to complete.

1. Original Passport with arrival stamp.
2. Original Work Permit (“Notifikasi”) valid min. 12 months (365 days).
3. Original Limited Stay Permit Card (KITAS) valid min. 12 months (365 days).

4. Original Authorization Letter (“Surat Kuasa”) to the moving company to represent the client during custom clearance process, with duty stamp (“Materai”)
5. Copy of flight ticket of the shipper showing the travel from origin country to Indonesia.
6. Copy of Packing List (no valuation).
7. Bill of Lading/Sea Waybill/Air Waybill

if you are intending to bring new items as inflight baggage do not have it still in boxes and plastic wrapping. Personal baggage tends to be allowed without tax unless there are conspicuous new and boxed items. You are only allowed one litre each of alcohol so having more than one bottle showing up on airport xray might then expose you to more a rigorous search and examination.

The part on new items without original packing/repacked is good advise.
The alcohol part is true for your flight luggage. On removals zero alcohol is permitted. Also no adult entertainment. No cars/motorbikes for private shippers. All goods are supposted to be used household goods (>12 months), but as long as they are not obviously new (original box etc.) customs doesn't care too much. Generally everything that looks like a commercial import will cause issues, i.e. non-reasonable quantities like 3 washing mashines, or a "removal" that consists only of electronic items etc.

For 6 m3 the most economic option is LCL (Less container Load), your goods are loading into a wooden Lift Van that is combined by forwarding companies with other boxed items to fill a container. Due to global disruptions in logistics and supply chains, freight rates are currently unfortunately at all-time heights.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone moving into Indonesia.
Please feel free to ask questions.

Cheers

mas_dam

As you move under a W.P. it may be easier, but under a retirement visa the rules are very strict .
Last thing you want is having your stuff kept hostage at customs, accumulating storage cost while you try to negociate the hostage release fee...

Maybe a word about removal imports on Retirement KITAS as well. As there won't be a work permit, import is still possible but subject to Duties and Taxes.

The moving company should be able to provide an estimate amount based on the volume to be shipped, the port of entry (different calculation in Jakarta and Surabaya), and the mode of shipping (Sea, Air) from the beginning already. This way you know what you are up to and there won't be any surprises. It should be a warning sign if they are not able to tell you/get this information up front.

To give you an idea, for the 6m3 example of this thread it would be around 300-400 USD in import duties. Pretty reasonable if you consider the cost of a global removal and that import duties are based on the size of the shipment, not the actual value of the goods. i.e. a top-notch stereo system or designer items would have the same duties as the same size/weight in cheap plastic goods or cloths etc. Duties are generally very reasonable for Sea shipments. These days there is official e-billing invoice from customs etc.. It's surprisingly transparent and clean if you compare this to a few years ago. Attached an example how it looks like.

Avoid duties and taxes for Air shipments, there is a different calculation, it's far more expensive!

Cheers

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 9

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
My wife would be happy to buy shoes and handbags in Bali or anywhere we travel for that matter. Having a room full shipped in, she would consider an guilt fueled shopping impediment.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farid8
Top Bottom