Moving back, quarantine to start soon

JoePel

Good morning all

My wife and I will be returning once again to settle down finally.
14 days isolation to get on the plane, begins in a couple of weeks.
Medication all sorted
Looking to get my firearm permit fast tracked, something a few bucks should sort out.
Anyone any dramas getting their permit I would be grateful to know who to see.

snpark

Cager
A few bucks will not help you out there, especially as a foreigner, these days it is extremely complicated and expensive process with many legal and regulated tests including physical, mental, psychological etc etc and very open. In other words, cannot just chuck someone a few hundred $ and expect a permit.

The tests are annual and even include background checks.
Sorry its not USA where you can buy an AK47 from Walmart

JoePel

I’m an optimist 😄
It’s worked before eastern euro, South America and a number of other countries, everyone loves a greenback.
Background checks fine.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Hi, Joe. I know you can have a bow up to a certain draw weight with no permit required. Pretty fun for target practice!

Also, I've been impressed with the quality of some of the steel doors I've seen on private residences here. No permit required, safe as houses!

Welcome to the forum.

JoePel

Been informed the firearms are fine, paperwork being processed, it’s the armoury equipment that’s the hurdle. Much to my dismay, those involved in Jakarta are saying the equipment can be used as a source of income. I’m arguing that I am also bringing a coffee maker and grinder which could also be used as a source of income but the irony is lost in some people.

Puspawarna

Cager
Sorry its not USA where you can buy an AK47 from Walmart

Reminds me of my early days in Indonesia - when I first arrived in late 1993, naive and starry-eyed about how Indonesia was just wonderful and perfect, I stupidly hired a young man as a guard without checking references or knowing anything about him.

In conversations with me (I understood more Indonesian than most new arrivals, thanks to an intensive language program I'd recently completed at Cornell), he rhapsodized about how wonderful America must be, because it was so easy to buy a gun. He lamented the difficulty of buying firearms in Indonesia, and said he wished anybody could just buy a gun any time without difficulty, "seperti di Amerika."

Yeah, right. Turned out the kid was a thief and a drug addict. Naturally he thought unfettered access to guns was a good idea. Personally, I beg to differ.

Last edited:

snpark

Cager
Been informed the firearms are fine, paperwork being processed, it’s the armoury equipment that’s the hurdle. Much to my dismay, those involved in Jakarta are saying the equipment can be used as a source of income. I’m arguing that I am also bringing a coffee maker and grinder which could also be used as a source of income but the irony is lost in some people.

Hitman for hire, mind you the cost of starbucks these days, could be a good deal, take mr x out for a tall vanilla frappe

JoePel

Here's to hoping that they don't give you a permit. Indonesia doesnt need that kind of problem.
Lol
I’m a ‘that’s not a knife.....’ kind of guy.
Not, ‘I’ll turn around and drop my pants for you and I’ll leave my wallet and family for you also’ kind of guy.
But not all men are made equal.

Good luck

Ruserious

I’m a ‘that’s not a knife.....’ kind of guy.
Not, ‘I’ll turn around and drop my pants for you and I’ll leave my wallet and family for you also’ kind of guy.
But not all men are made equal.

Well in over 20 years of living in Indonesia neither of these circumstances have happened. I dont need a gun to look after my family and i truly believe that it would make me less safe having one and definitely less safe with you having one.

Im curious...are you american? Why do you want to come to Indonesia?

Ruserious

In fact im even more curious now. Can you describe the circumstance when you would be required to use the gun and what you think the repercussions would be?

Balifrog

Well in over 20 years of living in Indonesia neither of these circumstances have happened. I dont need a gun to look after my family and i truly believe that it would make me less safe having one and definitely less safe with you having one.

Im curious...are you american? Why do you want to come to Indonesia?
The fact that a person who wants to move to a country like Indo, first worry is if he can bring his gun or his pet is a clear red flag that he should stay home.
And who else than an American would ask the gun question ? ..
Mama mia....

dafluff

Cager
Good morning all

My wife and I will be returning once again to settle down finally.
14 days isolation to get on the plane, begins in a couple of weeks.
Medication all sorted
Looking to get my firearm permit fast tracked, something a few bucks should sort out.
Anyone any dramas getting their permit I would be grateful to know who to see.

Are you importing the firearms or planning on buying them in Indonesia? If you are importing, do you have a recommended importer?

Are you or your wife WNI? If so the WNI partner has to apply for all the paperwork, as foreigners are not allowed to own firearms for any reason.

How do you handle the skill certificate, psychological testing, and interview requirements? Last time I checked these have to be done in Indonesia. Are there any alternatives for getting this done abroad, or are you doing them when you get here?

Finally, private ownership of firearms is limited to a very small calibers, so be careful of anyone promising you permits for anything bigger than a .32 or 12ga shotgun.

Last edited:

snpark

Cager
That man stared at me Officer, he was asking for it

JoePel

In fact im even more curious now. Can you describe the circumstance when you would be required to use the gun and what you think the repercussions would be?
Curiosity killed the cat. Likely your cat as you would be whimpering and dribbling over your keyboard lol.

I’m Saudi Arabian, and I don’t need ask to come to this land.
Indo must be better than France (Africa). You guys must be very anti American for some reason.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Indonesia is a country where you go to jail for accidentally killing a person in a car accident. I’m really curious to see what would happen to a foreigner if he shoots an Indonesian dead, under any circumstances. While there’s an informal arrangement for blood money, it is by no means legal. It’s gonna be the most expensive bullet in your life, and even then you’d still see the inside of a jail cell.

harryopal

Charter Member
Curiosity killed the cat. Likely your cat as you would be whimpering and dribbling over your keyboard lol.

I’m Saudi Arabian, and I don’t need ask to come to this land.
Indo must be better than France (Africa). You guys must be very anti American for some reason.

To be anti-gun doesn't make one anti-American.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquavitae