Motor Scooter Theft (Prevention)

Chiron

Cager
I've been wanting to create this thread for some time now, but wasn't sure how to approach the topic - namely theft prevention of your motor scooter. The slight majority of expats I've met seem have a motor scooter, instead of a car. As well, members of my wife's family mostly have scooters as well. From my non-scientific data collection, I can't seem to recall anyone having their scooter stolen (in Solo/Central Java that is), but there are quite a few comments they make related to taking various precautions so they won't be stolen. Things like, I need to park here rather than there, or else this scooter may get stolen. I suppose also that it's dependent on what city you're living in and other considerations.

I myself am considering a scooter at some point, and have taken a close look at the Yamaha N-Max, and also the newer X-Max. These aren't the cheapest scooters to get, and I would certainly hope the bike would be waiting for me after every trip out and about. I noticed that these scooters have key-less FOBs, and large enough seat storage to lock your helmet - among many other very nice features.

At the end of the day, anyone who is really determined can take your scooter. However, I think there must be some advice or other common sense actions to consider. Maybe just getting a used, common brand,125cc scooter for 5-10 juta is the best way not to worry. If it gets taken, then just get another one, and move on with life.

In any case, I'm interested to hear comments, advice, or philosophy about this topic.

Last edited:
I just bought an Aerox 155. It's yellow and that's because the red, grey, and black were all described as very Indonesian by the dealers. I like yellow and yes it does stick out like a single banana in a bunch of mangos but, oh well. OK, it's bigger than 99% of the motors on the roads here. Thinner, higher, and bigger wheels than the NMax and those are good things so I can still get in and out of traffic and over the speed bumps.

I knew it would get some looks when I was away from it and people would try to sit on it so the day after I picked it up, off to the big benkal and parts house to buy and have an alarm installed. Got that and had it set at it's loudest but not where a breeze sets it off but a slight touch will. Installers said neighbors will complain. Naw, than they will have to turn theirs down and mine is garraged.

Ah, parking. Any motors I have had seem a magnet for others to park on top of. There could be an empty area in the parking area and wherever I park in it, there will be someone parked after me right up against my motor attempting to put a new scratch in it while leaving 3 meters on each side of us open space. I don't know why. Maybe because I keep my motors all clean and shinny, I don't know. This just isn't going to be acceptable with the new motor at all.

My hopeful remedy, parking in a car area. I go in the car entrance and get a ticket and pull into a car space. I pay the higher fee upon exit. Granted, all parking attendants don't like this idea and I found that out a couple days ago. I pulled into a car spot, set the alarm and we walked towards the door. Almost to the door and the alarm goes off. We return to find 2 parking attendants trying to drag the motor. Drag because not only was the front wheel in the lock position but the parking brake was engaged and this is something they have no clue to what it is. The back wheel is locked. When they seen me coming, one guy run off, the other stayed. The first guy must have figured that since there was a loud locomotive coming at him perhaps it best to exit the tracks. While I informed the remaing attendant how if he touches my motor again he would have both his arms ripped off and beaten with them, he explained to my wife that he just wanted to move it to the side more where no car could damage it. He suggested to my wife that we park on the next level the next visit to be more safe after she showed him we were paying the car fees. I moved it over for him but made sure he didn't notice the parking brake. Otherwise, the car parking seems to work out the best and I haven't needed to rip any arms off yet.

There really is no good place to park a motor. More worrysome than parking is theft of the higher priced motors. The alarm cost me Rp 240 ribu. A small investment compared to the cost of the motor.

A friend of mine put a big chain and padlock on his bike at work, when work finished he came out to find the chain and lock neatly folded on his bike seat, he never bothered to lock again and nobody ever stole his bike

I just bought an Aerox 155. It's yellow and that's because the red, grey, and black were all described as very Indonesian by the dealers. I like yellow and yes it does stick out like a single banana in a bunch of mangos but, oh well. OK, it's bigger than 99% of the motors on the roads here. Thinner, higher, and bigger wheels than the NMax and those are good things so I can still get in and out of traffic and over the speed bumps.

I knew it would get some looks when I was away from it and people would try to sit on it so the day after I picked it up, off to the big benkal and parts house to buy and have an alarm installed. Got that and had it set at it's loudest but not where a breeze sets it off but a slight touch will. Installers said neighbors will complain. Naw, than they will have to turn theirs down and mine is garraged.

Ah, parking. Any motors I have had seem a magnet for others to park on top of. There could be an empty area in the parking area and wherever I park in it, there will be someone parked after me right up against my motor attempting to put a new scratch in it while leaving 3 meters on each side of us open space. I don't know why. Maybe because I keep my motors all clean and shinny, I don't know. This just isn't going to be acceptable with the new motor at all.

My hopeful remedy, parking in a car area. I go in the car entrance and get a ticket and pull into a car space. I pay the higher fee upon exit. Granted, all parking attendants don't like this idea and I found that out a couple days ago. I pulled into a car spot, set the alarm and we walked towards the door. Almost to the door and the alarm goes off. We return to find 2 parking attendants trying to drag the motor. Drag because not only was the front wheel in the lock position but the parking brake was engaged and this is something they have no clue to what it is. The back wheel is locked. When they seen me coming, one guy run off, the other stayed. The first guy must have figured that since there was a loud locomotive coming at him perhaps it best to exit the tracks. While I informed the remaing attendant how if he touches my motor again he would have both his arms ripped off and beaten with them, he explained to my wife that he just wanted to move it to the side more where no car could damage it. He suggested to my wife that we park on the next level the next visit to be more safe after she showed him we were paying the car fees. I moved it over for him but made sure he didn't notice the parking brake. Otherwise, the car parking seems to work out the best and I haven't needed to rip any arms off yet.

There really is no good place to park a motor. More worrysome than parking is theft of the higher priced motors. The alarm cost me Rp 240 ribu. A small investment compared to the cost of the motor.

Congratulations with your new Aerox, I am sure this is a very good choice you will not regret.
About motorbike theft, it's meaby not always a good idea to buy a used motorbike, few weeks ago a 10 year old Honda was stolen right in front of my gate on the other side of the street around 10 a clock in the morning ! tThe motorbike belong to a man who works on his land and park his bike there every day.
When there is a fiesta in the kampungs with a lot of people going there you can here regularly that people motorbikes disepear.
What I want to say is that it is not only in town motorbikes are stolen, and not only new ones, they often prefer to steel older ones because the key lock is more easily to break and than they put those bikes apart to sell the spare parts.

My Saudi neighbours had his bike stolen Friday night, we live in a cul de sac, so a security gate is going to be fitted, the people to watch are people riding around on motor bikes looking for an opportunity to nick something, two complexs near me,Bali View and D'diamond now have a requirement that the motor bike driver and passenger leave their ID card on entry

Last edited:
In Bangkok i rode a CBR900, I used a solid d lock. Always locked the wheel when I left my bike, never had it stolen.

My wife has always used a scooter and we may get another for some time soon. I am not at all familiar with the electrics of anything let alone scooters but could not one have a removable lead somewhere so that the motor would not start? For example removing the rotator in a car coil?

On my new one, if the side stand is down it won't start. If it is running and you put it down, it stops. I'm sure someone could hook up a hidden switch to the electrical somewhere.

Are most stolen by "hot wiring"?

I've heard second and third-hand accounts that a motor will be picked up and thrown in the back of an Avanza.

Are most stolen by "hot wiring"?

I've heard second and third-hand accounts that a motor will be picked up and thrown in the back of an Avanza.
Pick a way to do it and it's been done. Most theives are on someone elses motor and just look for opportunities. Loading it into another vehicle would mean they probably targeted the theft. The ignition locks are fairly simple and a screw driver could engage them. I always suggest that people use that key hole cover. It at least eliminates one more area that could be used to steal a motor.

A aftermarket alarm is not expensive and can be fitted by most motorbike shops.

If the bike has a rear disk brake buy two disc locks (also easily sourced in malls or at motorbike shops))

I rode an NSR 150RR in Indonesia for two years using two disk locks and had no problems. Also if at a hotel or resort I always parked outside the front door or next to a manned security guard shack. (whom I paid a nominal fee to wash my bike)

xena-xx10-disk-lock-alarm-on-disk.jpg

Some like the one shown come with an integral alarm if you don't want a proper alarm system. Disk locks are small an easy to install and store under the seat. Yes three guys can lift the bike onto a truck but no casual opportunistic theft.

Rear wheel has a drum brake? Just buy a normal padlock and put it around spokes ( wire or alloy wheels). Or use a normal bicycle lock.

ALWAYS put two locks on when parked.

If, at night, the bike must be parked outside but can be near or under a window I have a solution for that also.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back