Mixed Marriage outside of Indonesia

Except that Uber voucher is no longer good in Indonesia. :)

I went to BATS for my birthday 4 or 5 years ago with my wife. I had a $100 voucher, and wanted to try their huge steak. I didn’t see any ladies that appealing...
Never take steak to a BBQ!!

Sapi <> Ayam

On marriage abroad; don't underestimate the convenience of doing it in the WNA's home country. There you get the docs more easily, know the procedures, no language barrier, you have easier access to the embassy (KBRI). Of course the restricting factor is access for the WNI...

Last edited:
Getting married in Bangkok, mixed marriage; nationality and religion...
Originally posted elsewhere :26-07-12, 15:48

I will be flying off to Bangkok in a few days time to get married.
I have been asked if I would make a thread about what is involved, the pitfalls, the bureaucracy and just the experience in general.
So here we go...
I am a UK citizen of no particular religious persuasion- however I am betting that I will have to state something ... I was raised as a Christian in my early years so I am assuming that will be the easy option.
I will be marrying an Indonesian man of Islamic faith.

So far it has not been plain sailing because his documents were lost, so we have had to do the rounds getting a new KTP, birth certificate and passport.

However, this process has taken less than a month- I'm still getting over the shock of that... I have not asked him, however I suspect that maybe some cash changed hands to expedite the process (better I don't know about this).
We finally collected his passport on the 25th of July.

We had to get some documents together to give to the Indonesian embassy in Bangkok (obviously)
The documents that he needed are known as N1, N2, N3 and N4... obtainable from the kelurahan (don't ask me too many details about this- I left that part to him once I told him what was needed.
There is also another document that he had to sign (not so sure exactly what it is- however) I believe it to be a statement of being free to marry legitimately (these are essentials- get them done before you go to Thailand- it saves time money and heartache).
I as a UK citizen have to go to the embassy with my passport (and maybe my birth certificate) and a completed copy of a form that is downloadable from the UK embassy in Bangkok site.

Why Bangkok?
1;In essence there is no required residency pre wedding, however in actual practice the process with the Indonesian embassy in Bangkok is likely to take a minmum of 6 working days- apparently because we are of differing faiths. (3 days if of the same faith- however if that was the case I would probably not go out of the country in the first place).
2; It is cheaper for hotels than Singapore too.
3; Neither of us have visited it before.

So we have booked 2 full weeks there.

I will add to this thread as the process unfolds - who knows, I could have got it all wrong and it could just end up being a holiday...
One of the best pieces of advice I once got from a forum member... "expect nothing much, except that, if it can go wrong it will go wrong and that way you will not have the stress and disappointment".

So- let's see if I come back from just a nice holiday or as a "Mrs Squirrel'.
Code:
Total cost so far [NB: these are 2012 prices]
There is a budget of 20juta IR for the whole thing- plus spending/shopping money in Bangkok

The flights were 5.7 juta (most definitely cheaper at other times of the year)
I had to extend the stay due to 2 days public holiday - so had to change the flights... 800,000IR

The hotel cost approximately £390 (pounds sterling) for 10 nights - that is for a suite in a 4 star hotel.
I got a 55% discount on the hotel.
(it pays to shop around)

Cost of new passport for the hubby to be 250,000IR
This is where it gets a bit sketchy... cost of replacement KTP and birth certificate for hubby to be...not sure- but less than 1juta IR.
Cost to Indonesian embassy will be $20 US
Cost at UK embassy will be £65 pounds sterling (The £65 is what the UK embassy charges for signing and stamping the affirmation of freedom to marry document).
Transport to and from the airport, private driver and car... expensive but 1.5 juta (Bluebird group quoted 875,000 each way plus tolls and parking)
The cost of a prenup= 1.1jutaIR including 2 notarised copies... this was drawn up and signed in the same day- we had some interesting quotes re price and length of processing time for this... from 900,000IR to 25juta IT from 2 hours to 2 months.
I just went for the convenience of the one who did it while we waited, it took 2 hours.

So far it has cost in the region of £1000 sterling.
So I think I am on or below budget...

~~~~

Update from Bangkok...

Arrived safe and sound, lesson number 1 learned, do not exchange Indonesian Rupiahs at the airport... ridiculous rates.
UK embassy (on Wireless road), a total breeze, be prepared for a bag search before entry and be prepared to have to leave electronic items at the main gate- hand-phones, cameras, laptops etc.
Go to the consular section and press the screen on the information point, it generates a ticket number, wait for your number to be called.
Hand in the form and show passport wait of 30 minutes then go to next window, sign form and they sign and stamp it- cost = £65
All nice and simple walk away with official document.

Then go to Indonesian embassy... press bell on gate then enter.
There were no security measures and no organised system of waiting- first come first served. (this could well have changed by now).
However - here is where our problems started... the information we had states that parental permission not necessary for over 20yr old.
Hahahaha ok- my informant was very much mistaken, in regards to the the idiot we had to deal with.

So we had to contact Bandung and get this permission letter signed by parents and stamped officially - I think by the RT.
The embassy told us that an email of this document would be acceptable...so, next day we returned with the copy of the document.
Nope - now a copy is no good- they now want the original... sigh.
However they did say that they would begin processing the papers and that it will be ok if we show the document when we go to collect.
The process cost =$20 US
So currently sat waiting for an express overnight TNT delivery to my hotel.
Tomorrow is a national holiday here in Thailand... so if the document arrives we take it in on Friday.

Should all go to plan on Friday - we collect the papers and then get translations in to Thai of my papers and of his, then we take them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This process takes a few hours apparently...
It is entirely possible that I will be married on Monday or Tuesday... Then its back to the Indonesian Embassy to register the marriage with them. My informant told me it would take a few days to do this... however the man at the embassy (consular desk) told me "no, it is only 1 day".
Will cross that bridge when we come to it.
The upshot of the parental permission issue is that the guy at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok refused to issue the papers without the permission despite my intended being well over 30 years of age.
Never mind; thankfully UPS has delivered the document today...
We have to return to the embassy on Friday with this document. Then we have to go and get translations and go the the MOFA ... so we are going to be way later than the opening time... if we even get there on Friday- am guessing the "wedding" is likely to be on Monday (if we are lucky) or Tuesday.
Now I have a question about the signature of both parents. I am a grandpa of 65 years old. My parents are long dead. How I solve this ?

Haha no worries. I remember a bit of your story with how your hubby needed permission from his parents. Hahaha, I'll be waiting to read your story, much more lively than mine.
I have also a question over signature from my parents because they asked me this to.
I am a grandfather of 65 years old.
My parents are LONG dead. My mother in died in 1978 and is burried in south Africa. my father left when I was 3 years old.And died somewhere and is burried somwhere in 2011. Still they say I needd document with their signatures. How you can solve this??

Officially it's up to 30 years old. So I would just ignore it. (Mention Non Applicable.)

The required signature is for the Indonesian person so that they can get the permit to marry.
Ferdy states they are Dutch, so their question is irrelevant.
I assume if parents are deceased that the RT/RW sign a statement to say so.
BUT
It was 8 years since I got married in Thailand,things may have changed at the Indonesian embassy there, I suggest you check things out independently. Look for more recent info.

Hope this is the right place...

I am planning to marry overseas in my home country and the requirement is to have the non-citizen(my Indonesian Spouse) get a "letter verifying marital status of a non-citizen applicant" or a Letter of No Impediment to Marriage from the local Catatan Sipil. Problem is, the local Catatan Sipil told said spouse that the existing Divorce Certificate is sufficient and does not want to release any such document or even a Surat Keterangan(link)

Should we insist or is the divorce cert acceptable? Anyone know?

Hi Bad_azz!👋

Personally, I would insist for the No Impediment Letter unless someone from immigration from your home country says otherwise. Even then I would still insist for the No Impediment Letter. Explain to them it is a requirement that you need just like they(Catatan Sipil) require certain documents.

I had to have the No Impediment Letter signed by the US Embassy here in Jakarta. I found it on their website, booked an appointment to have it notarized. Maybe it is possible to do the same with the Indonesian embassy/consulate.

Hope this is the right place...

I am planning to marry overseas in my home country and the requirement is to have the non-citizen(my Indonesian Spouse) get a "letter verifying marital status of a non-citizen applicant" or a Letter of No Impediment to Marriage from the local Catatan Sipil. Problem is, the local Catatan Sipil told said spouse that the existing Divorce Certificate is sufficient and does not want to release any such document or even a Surat Keterangan(link)

Should we insist or is the divorce cert acceptable? Anyone know?

Hi Bad_azz!👋
Hi back at ya :)

I am not sure what the requirements are now.
But when my Indonesian husband wanted to marry abroad he had to get documents starting with the Pk RT /RW.

He then had to get further documents* in the country of marriage from the Indonesian consul/embassy there.
*edit- the certificate of no impediment for him.
"
We had to get some documents together to give to the Indonesian embassy in Bangkok (obviously)
The documents that he needed are known as N1, N2, N3 and N4... obtainable from the kelurahan (don't ask me too many details about this- I left that part to him once I told him what was needed.
There is also another document that he had to sign (not so sure exactly what it is- however) I believe it to be a statement of being free to marry legitimately (these are essentials- get them done before you go to Thailand- it saves time money and heartache). "

When it comes to one or other being divorced, I am clueless as I have not been in that situation .

Good luck with it all, I hope someone else chips in with more help for you

Personally, I would insist for the No Impediment Letter unless someone from immigration from your home country says otherwise. Even then I would still insist for the No Impediment Letter. Explain to them it is a requirement that you need just like they(Catatan Sipil) require certain documents.

I had to have the No Impediment Letter signed by the US Embassy here in Jakarta. I found it on their website, booked an appointment to have it notarized. Maybe it is possible to do the same with the Indonesian embassy/consulate.
They plan to marry abroad, so I think the CNI will come from the Indonesian embassy in the country they plan to marry in- I would check with them. But will need other documents from RI to take to the embassy to get that letter- for us it was the N1/2/3/4 whatever, for a divorcee it may be sufficient with a div cert? I don't know. Check with the embassy in the country you intend to marry.

What will help is telling us the country you intend to marry in- other embassies in different countries may vary slightly- I don't know.
here's info from the Czech KBRI

1. his/her birth certificate;
  2. a document proving his/her nationality;
  3. a certificate proving his/her legal competence to enter into marriage – which may not be, as of the date of the marriage, older than six months; Have a look on this format for your reference here
  4. a certificate proving his/her personal status and residence if such certificates can be issued by the country concerned;
  5. the death certificate of any deceased spouse, if the foreign national is a widow(er); such certificate is not required if this fact is included in the certificate on legal competence to enter into marriage;
  6. a final and conclusive judgment on divorce with regard to any previous marriage if the foreign national concerned is divorced;
  7. a certificate proving that the marriage will be accepted as valid, if it is concluded by a proxy;
  8. a final and conclusive judgment terminating a registered partnership or a death certificate of any deceased partner, if the foreign national lived in a partnership;
  9. proof of identity.

He then had to get further documents* in the country of marriage from the Indonesian consul/embassy there.
*edit- the certificate of no impediment for him.

Ahhhh, so that letter is from the local Indo Embassy. Makes sense. Oddly their website is silent on this. Time to make calls to them, they take forever to answer.

I believe it to be a statement of being free to marry legitimately (these are essentials- get them done before you go to Thailand- it saves time money and heartache). "
Yea, its basically the status of the person that says they are not married on this date. My National Registration only accepts that document or a divorce cert not older than 6 months and I imagine others will be similar.

Czech KBRI steps is about the same, I got similar info from the the local Indo Embassy FB page to find these information. Weird.

One other thing, I would scan that letter into your computer/cloud or make a legalised copy of it, once you get it.

I never got to keep mine it went into the mix & never came back when we wed.
Now, over here in RI I hear of people having to show that letter when doing certain bureaucratic processes. So far I have never been asked to show mine since the day we wed. I would be screwed if I did have to as I have nothing at all other than the receipt of payment for it.

Yes, make copies of everything even though they have everything on file.

They plan to marry abroad, so I think the CNI will come from the Indonesian embassy in the country they plan to marry in- I would check with them. But will need other documents from RI to take to the embassy to get that letter- for us it was the N1/2/3/4 whatever, for a divorcee it may be sufficient with a div cert? I don't know. Check with the embassy in the country you intend to marry.
Being divorced, all I needed was the notarized no impediment letter from the US Embassy. I was surprised I didn't have to show the divorce paperwork to anyone.

One other thing, I would scan that letter into your computer/cloud or make a legalised copy of it, once you get it.

I never got to keep mine it went into the mix & never came back when we wed.
Now, over here in RI I hear of people having to show that letter when doing certain bureaucratic processes. So far I have never been asked to show mine since the day we wed. I would be screwed if I did have to as I have nothing at all other than the receipt of payment for it.
Yes, make copies of everything even though they have everything on file.
Yea, I was asking the spouse to CTC everything. Besides a Notary, who can CTC things like highschool/college diplomas and KK all that?

Yea, I was asking the spouse to CTC everything. Besides a Notary, who can CTC things like highschool/college diplomas and KK all that?
I don't know. I would go with a notaris.

If you are in the US, might not be official official, but it works for the Indonesia gov't, you can go to a bank. Plus I think the schools could do it too, but you might need to check with them.

I have written this thread with the intent for it to be a place to discuss our own experience(s) getting married to someone of a different nationality / religion outside of Indonesia
Also a place to seek advice and to share related anecdotes.
I hope it will cover the documents requested, needed, not needed the hoops to jump through, the procedures needed once entering Indonesia with the new marriage fait-accompli.
I will recount my personal experience getting married in Thailand in my next post.

Thanks
B_a

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back