Michael vs Michael. 🎯 What a great game.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
1672820516452.jpeg

Although I think the second best darter ever deserved a bit more, MS did a great job.

🏎️ Talking about sportive clashes between the UK and NL: Looking forward to hopefully a more suspenseful year in the F1. Let’s see what Mercedes and Ferrari can come up with this time.

⚽️ We will also have RI host the 2023 FIFA World Cup U-20 this year.

Helpful Herbert

Some of the teams are confirmed via qualification with the venues being in Jakarta, Bandung, Solo, Gianyar, Palembang, and Surabaya.
The problem is that Israel have qualified for the tournament, and the Indonesian islamic groups have already started making threats of violence against the players and the tournament. So I think we can all guess how this one will end.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
There are some “sports” that just don’t interest me at all. Darts is one of them. I remember the first time I saw a televised Cornhole competition. Pretty amusing, I thought. I thought it was Comedy Central at first.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
The problem is that Israel have qualified for the tournament, and the Indonesian islamic groups have already started making threats of violence against the players and the tournament. So I think we can all guess how this one will end.

Yup and in honesty, I would not be surprised if Israel was told they can't come, FIFI gets involved, Indonesia then gets another ban for letting politics infer with sports, and then everyone loses.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The huge death toll because of the whole stampede after using tear gas in Malang‘s Kanjuruhan also doesn’t help of course…luckily the U20 tournament wouldn’t use that stadium.

1672973841343.jpeg

jstar

Mr. 10,000
The Korean coach of the Indonesian national team is very ambitious, see video underneath. Currently there’s a charm offensive to encourage 7 (seven!) young foreigners to become Indonesian citizens or at least play for the Indonesian team. Which evidently is possible for the youngsters.

They obviously include players from mixed Indo European descent (mostly Dutch Indo’s). As Justin Hubner who plays in England for the Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rafaël Struick of ADO Den Haag and Ivar Jenner of FC Utrecht.

I do hope they realize what the ramifications are before turning 21.

1672974471977.jpeg

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
The Korean coach of the Indonesian national team is very ambitious, see video underneath. Currently there’s a charm offensive to encourage 7 (seven!) young foreigners to become Indonesian citizens or at least play for the Indonesian team. Which evidently is possible for the youngsters.

They obviously include players from mixed Indo European descent (mostly Dutch Indo’s). As Justin Hubner who plays in England for the Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rafaël Struick of ADO Den Haag and Ivar Jenner of FC Utrecht.

I do hope they realize what the ramifications are before turning 21.

View attachment 2666

If they have a good agent(sports and passport/visa), they should. Plus it depends on their own personal ambitions.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Well, that is a thing for many young players of course. See for instance the Moroccan or Turkish youth in Western Europe. Many had to make a choice whether they would play for their country of origin or their ‘home’ country as Getmany, The Netherlands, France, … it’s not only about national pride and probably more about personal growth and even international visibility (=money).

But still, it’s not completely comparable. There’s something different about youngsters whose parents left a country but still have the citizenship and visit once per year and are culturally more attached and get brides there, and the ’typical’ Indo’s. Who are mixed and as 3rd generation very western, who don’t speak BI besides some old fashioned malayan words, who have a different religion from the majority of RI and whose grandparents were forced to flee the Dutch East Indies or Indonesia much longer ago and who were seen as traitors.

Obviously that’s all between the ears; nobody in RI would accuse a football player of the colonial actions and misdoings. They’re even proud of the ‘Indonesian background’. Someone like Van Persie is a real hero here.

1673065535243.jpeg

Rafaël Struijk already made a choice to play for Indonesia.

Last edited:

pantaiema

Well, that is a thing for many young players of course. See for instance the Moroccan or Turkish youth in Western Europe. Many had to make a choice whether they would play for their country of origin or their ‘home’ country as Getmany, The Netherlands, France, … it’s not only about national pride and probably more about personal growth and even international visibility (=money).

But still, it’s not completely comparable. There’s something different about youngsters whose parents left a country but still have the citizenship and visit once per year and are culturally more attached and get brides there, and the ’typical’ Indo’s. Who are mixed and as 3rd generation very western, who don’t speak BI besides some old fashioned malayan words, who have a different religion from the majority of RI and whose grandparents were forced to flee the Dutch East Indies or Indonesia much longer ago and who were seen as traitors.

Obviously that’s all between the ears; nobody in RI would accuse a football player of the colonial actions and misdoings. They’re even proud of the ‘Indonesian background’. Someone like Van Persie is a real hero here.

View attachment 2667

Rafaël Struijk already made a choice to play for Indonesia.
Does The Netherlands allow dual nationalities, for those who voluntarily acquire another nationality?? Or is it part of the exception ?? If not are these kids aware of they will lose their Dutch nationality ??

"Are you 18 or older and do you want to become a Dutch citizen? Then you are not allowed to have dual nationality after your naturalisation. This means that under Dutch law you must renounce your other nationality or nationalities. However, there are exceptions"

"You are not allowed to have dual nationality if you are Dutch and adopt another nationality. Then you will automatically lose your Dutch nationality. It does not matter whether you live in the Netherlands or abroad. This is provided by Dutch law. However, there are exceptions"

Under the current Dutch Citizenship Act, you can keep dual nationality and multiple passports for as long as you live, provided you always carry a valid Dutch passport or identity card and do not voluntarily obtain another nationality.

Last edited:

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
Does The Netherlands allow dual nationalities, for those who voluntarily acquire another nationality?? Or is it part of the exception ?? If not are these kids aware of they will lose their Dutch nationality ??

Indonesia doesn't allow dual citizenships which means they would have to choose which citizenship they want to keep. Hence why earlier I said it depends on their personal ambitions and what not.

pantaiema

Indonesia doesn't allow dual citizenships which means they would have to choose which citizenship they want to keep. Hence why earlier I said it depends on their personal ambitions and what not.
I certainly know that Indonesian government does not allow dual nationalities.
But I have heard some Indonesian Dutch, (or other similar countries) although getting Dutch citizenship by naturalisation yet they still keep their Indonesian nationality, still have Indonesian passport and ID card.

How they do that, well publicly known other countries do not share the personal data of their citizens with Indonesian government. It works both ways; Indonesian government does not have any obligation to share their immigration data with the Dutch government. Do that they might get sued for breeching the Data Protection Act, bad publication in the press and might due for paying compensation.

Also, the risk of doing that is miniscule. You might get deported, but I have not heard anyone be put in jail for the case like this. So what they have got to lose to go back to the square one, the original position.

But being in the national football team, will put them under the spotlight where the third party like the staffs of the Dutch embassy In Jakarta could easily see what they are doing. They might already have a good reason to demand for clarification and/or to initiate an investigation.

Last edited:

pantaiema

Does Robin Van Persie have Indonesian background ? It does not seem to be mentioned in here

Robin is different with Radja Nainggolan the Belgium national football players who has an Indonesian of Batak background.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Does Robin Van Persie have Indonesian background ?

Radja Nainggolan the Belgium national football players who has an Indonesian of Batak background.

About the background of Van Persie there are two versions. According to the Dutch, his father Bob Van Persie is an Indo. But the Indonesians think the mother,
José Ras, had a mother from Surabaya who was Indonesian.

Radja has a very bad boy image in Belgium. Because of things like driving drunk and without license and vaping (during a game!) he made himself impossible at FC Antwerpen and had to leave the club a couple of months ago. It seems -from interviews- he always lived with his Belgian mother, even never met his Batak family and he has an extremely strong Antwerp accent.

1673237714868.jpeg

1673237840263.jpeg

Helpful Herbert

I remember when Van Persie's grandmother died he did a goal celebration where he had a message that said Oma on his t shirt underneath the football shirt. Whether it was on his father's or mother's side I don't know.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
For those who don’t know who Van Persie is:

In 2013 the Dutch team played a friendly match against and in Indonesia. The atmosphere was like the finals of a World Cup.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noon_araya
Top Bottom