MERP Renewal

RobertBali

Hi,

I am on a spouse sponsored ITAP (unlimited version) since October 2017
I have to go to immigration every 5 years (next October 2022) 'to report'.
The ITAP was initially issued with a 2 year MERP.
However I have not renewed the MERP after it expired since I did not have intentions to leave Indonesia.
Now I have read somewhere that a MERP should always be valid?
Will it be a problem if I report at Immigration in October 2022 without a valid MERP in my passport?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Robert

harryopal

Charter Member
My understanding, and I am ready to be corrected, is that an expired MERP is not a problem and you can wait until you next intend to travel and renew at that time.

Hawk256

My understanding, and I am ready to be corrected, is that an expired MERP is not a problem and you can wait until you next intend to travel and renew at that time.
That's my understanding as well but also ready to be corrected.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Same opinion.
Exit Permits for permanent residents do sound strange, don't they? "You can live here forever, but not leave or come back without permission." Just bizarre, unless you look at it as a simple cash grab.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
It is when you look at a KITAP is good for 5 years, but your MERP is only valid for 2 years.

Dave70

Cager
Same opinion.
Exit Permits for permanent residents do sound strange, don't they? "You can live here forever, but not leave or come back without permission." Just bizarre, unless you look at it as a simple cash grab.

The same reason why 10-year passport is suspended, potential revenue from renewals will be reduced by half.

nardo

Is the process and paperwork required for MERP renewal the same as Kitas/ Kitap renewal or easier?

all4ywh

Process is much easier. :)
Earlier today I had to contact the local immigration office about a MERP and this document was shared with me :

1615968617620.png

all4ywh

It is when you look at a KITAP is good for 5 years, but your MERP is only valid for 2 years.
Today during my WA communications with the local immigration office about a MERP, I learned that besides all the 'generosity & flexibility' which the immigration department had shown in previous months for extensions of various visas, there was no decision issued to give 'extra/bonus' time extensions for a MERP which had been still valid during this pandemic period when certainly a high % of ITAS or ITAP holders were not able to travel outside of Indonesia...my 2-year MERP expires tomorrow. :LOL:

nardo

Thanks for sharing that all4ywh, somehow I'm still dreading the day I have to go there again...but at least there is a directive which seems streamlined and doesn't require excess costs to ancillary kantors

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
67nature17
Top Bottom