MERP Extension Online

dafluff

Cager
Did anyone ever manage to renew an expired MERP? Mine expires in November. My US Passport expires next February, and I know they sometimes don’t extent the MERP past the passport expiration date.

Thinking of just getting my next MERP after my new US passport is obtained.

An expired MERP is a total non-issue. I had mine expired for a year (last year of 5-year KITAP) and no one even batted an eye.

If you are certain you will not need to travel abroad during the time you are MERP-less, don't worry about it.

Vanuatu

Charter Member
Cager
I once let my MERP stay expired for almost 3 years as I had no plans to leave the country, when I did need to leave it took 48 hours to get a new MERP. Caveat, this was about 7 years ago and done at the South Jakarta Immigration office, but I don't think there is any requirement to have a valid MERP if you don't plan to travel, just a little risky in case of emergency travel.

nardo

In July last year, some while after My MERP had expired, I had to return to Aus. Made an application (not on line) and it was available next day. But then I still had a couple of years on may passport.
Harry old pal Was it back dated?

harryopal

Charter Member
No, it wasn't back dated. As Vanuatu said, if you are not travelling you do not need to have it updated.

yantiharun1

No, it wasn't back dated. As Vanuatu said, if you are not travelling you do not need to have it updated.
I came in through the immigration from overseas trip in the beginning of Nov. and asked the immigration official if I have to keep the Merp valid even when I am not planning to travel. His answer is Yes

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
I came in through the immigration from overseas trip in the beginning of Nov. and asked the immigration official if I have to keep the Merp valid even when I am not planning to travel. His answer is Yes
I wanna say that immigration official is incorrect.....either that or he happens to be the first correct one that all the previous posts that I've read (and my agent) were wrong. I've always heard that MERP is strictly for exiting Indonesia and be able to come back. I had been advised before 'to make sure' the MERP hasn't expired yet if I needed to travel internationally...I'm sure some people here have actually let their MERP expire. I personally think as long as it doesn't expire when you're out of indonesia, you should be fine (and make sure you got all the necessary papers to re-activate if you needed to do an emergency travel. My agent took about 1 week to process my 2 year MERP).

yantiharun1

I wanna say that immigration official is incorrect.....either that or he happens to be the first correct one that all the previous posts that I've read (and my agent) were wrong. I've always heard that MERP is strictly for exiting Indonesia and be able to come back. I had been advised before 'to make sure' the MERP hasn't expired yet if I needed to travel internationally...I'm sure some people here have actually let their MERP expire. I personally think as long as it doesn't expire when you're out of indonesia, you should be fine (and make sure you got all the necessary papers to re-activate if you needed to do an emergency travel. My agent took about 1 week to process my 2 year MERP).
Thanks, it's good to know!

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
I've also had an immigration officer tell me that I must always have a valid MERP. I've also never had a problem when my MERP was expired (out of date by years).
I'm going to err on the side that keeps a few extra million in my pocket.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
My last MERP (so many) the Immigration officer asked me why I was getting another MERP and told me there was no need to have a MERP if there are no plans for International travel. That is something I have always heard. Still, I always get a MERP just in case there is an emergency and I need to travel. Plus, one never knows if they decide to make a short trip to KL or Sing so someone else can shop. Even the times I applied for a new MERP after the latest one expired, no one said I was late.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyathink
Top Bottom